shape
carat
color
clarity

Teeny bits of leakage near outside...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Am I going crazy or did I see someone say that a bit of light leakage near the girdle of the diamond (evident on the idealscope pictures) can actually make it sparklier?

Or should I try to find a stone with an absolutely perfect, dark idealscope picture?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
intentional contrast leakage can be a good thing. the distinctions between ''classic'' aca''s and ''new line'' is a good example of the differences between a stone with contrast leakage and one without.
more reading about the differences

icekid

Ideal_Rock
it''s really about personal preference.

I prefer stones that do have the "leakage" on the edges- I think they have more scintillation.

The stones with edge to edge light return have bigger, but fewer, sparkles- in my opinion.

Both beautiful, but different!

AlliBaba

Rough_Rock
Thanks, ladies- just what I was looking for!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Red reflectors are only telling one part of the story. Round brilliant diamonds that exhibit red from edge to edge when examined under the AGS ASET shows that they are actually drawing more light from the 0-45 degree angle (not good) and show up as more greens in ASET in those areas. In most circumstances diamonds that exhibit slight bits of leakage around the edges in red reflectors, when examined under ASET show they are actually drawing more light from the 45-75 degree zone which means they will generally be brighter. Observation testing confirms this. The latter receives top cut quality grades from both GIA and AGS whereas the former generally only receives ideal grade from AGS and not GIA.

Best counsel would be if you''re veering away from either labs top grade it is best to see and compare for yourself to determine what you like best. Otherwise best to play safe and get a stone that falls ideal in both systems.

Kind regards,

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to see a movie clip of a classic ACA and a new line ACA next to each other. Does that exist? I suppose nothing would beat seeing them both face to face, but in lieu of that, what''s the next best thing? It''s interesting to me, but in the picture belle linked, I prefer the picture of the new line....but the description of the classic appeals more to me!

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 6:34:46 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
This link will help explain the contribution from the outer edge leakage.

Which link?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 5:39:53 PM
Author: Rhino
Red reflectors are only telling one part of the story. Round brilliant diamonds that exhibit red from edge to edge when examined under the AGS ASET shows that they are actually drawing more light from the 0-45 degree angle (not good) and show up as more greens in ASET in those areas. In most circumstances diamonds that exhibit slight bits of leakage around the edges in red reflectors, when examined under ASET show they are actually drawing more light from the 45-75 degree zone which means they will generally be brighter. Observation testing confirms this. The latter receives top cut quality grades from both GIA and AGS whereas the former generally only receives ideal grade from AGS and not GIA.

Best counsel would be if you''re veering away from either labs top grade it is best to see and compare for yourself to determine what you like best. Otherwise best to play safe and get a stone that falls ideal in both systems.

Kind regards,

Rhino, is this saying that GIA has more strict grading criteria for ideal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results