shape
carat
color
clarity

Teal Blue Spinel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here's a tealish one I found on the web--this is more of what I've seen.

gs4037.jpg

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hmmmm......the color tone does look similar, but holy extinction, batman! There is *some* extinction in mine, and I think if they were darker it would become more like that photo. Interesting.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I just used google to search for gem labs in Oregon, and there are a few small labs. You could start there too. The color of those stones is really pretty, regardless--I love greenish blues!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
...must hunt down teal spinel...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2008 10:44:17 PM
Author: DistinctionJewelry

Date: 10/28/2008 10:40:20 PM
Author: Chrono
I purchased a pair of colour shifting spinels earlier this year; teal to blue. The spinels were well saturated, much like the one you have but darker in tone, so it is possible to have such a lovely spinel, but again, the price could make one wonder if it''s real or not. I''d go ahead with the testing. My fingers are crossed for you.
A ray of hope ;-)

Very, very curious: if these are/were real, what should they have cost?

The dealer had two others just like this that I didn''t buy because the cut was way, way too deep. IF, IF, IF these turn out to be real, and if he hasn''t by now realized that he let me have them for too little money, are the stones worth enough in this size (6mm round) to justify buying the other two for recutting?
Mine were about $400/ct for the pair. They were custom cut so are probably more than your average spinels.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The color *is* gorgeous, isn''t it? Part of me won''t care if they are fake, I''ll just keep them both to myself if that''s the case and ignore the origin. I love the color to bits.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Chrono, are you talking about the Jeff White pair that were posted not too long ago?

Seriously love the teal....Heck, I''d keep them too!

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/28/2008 10:53:39 PM

Date: 10/28/2008 10:44:17 PM

Date: 10/28/2008 10:40:20 PM
I purchased a pair of colour shifting spinels earlier this year; teal to blue. The spinels were well saturated, much like the one you have but darker in tone, so it is possible to have such a lovely spinel, but again, the price could make one wonder if it''s real or not. I''d go ahead with the testing. My fingers are crossed for you.
A ray of hope ;-)

Very, very curious: if these are/were real, what should they have cost?

The dealer had two others just like this that I didn''t buy because the cut was way, way too deep. IF, IF, IF these turn out to be real, and if he hasn''t by now realized that he let me have them for too little money, are the stones worth enough in this size (6mm round) to justify buying the other two for recutting?
Mine were about $400/ct for the pair. They were custom cut so are probably more than your average spinels.
Thank you thank you! :) Actually...that kinda makes the price I paid seem reasonable, as in maybe not too low. Look at it this way - these are native cut, not custom, and I am a small-time silversmith so I was at a trade-only trunk show so I paid half or less of market value.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 10:55:30 PM
The color *is* gorgeous, isn''t it? Part of me won''t care if they are fake, I''ll just keep them both to myself if that''s the case and ignore the origin. I love the color to bits.

Yah! Real or faux--I''d take one for my specimen box.
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 7:26:13 PM
No color shift, although one stone is slightly lighter with a more teal tone and the other stone is slightly darker and more blue. I looked all over my usual internet sites and couldn''t find any color like it, which is what has me excited and worried. There is a synthetic blue zircon with this sort of color, but from my understanding even synthetic spinel refraction tests different from natural....and these guys were bang on for spinel.

Okay, I''ll give. I paid $95 a carat - wholesale, not retail pricing. That''d be the equivelent to $200-300 a carat on most websites.
I''ve heard of synthetics that have the same RI has naturals. I''m afraid I haven''t seen that hue either.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 11:01:53 PM
Author: Harriet
Date: 10/28/2008 7:26:13 PM

No color shift, although one stone is slightly lighter with a more teal tone and the other stone is slightly darker and more blue. I looked all over my usual internet sites and couldn''t find any color like it, which is what has me excited and worried. There is a synthetic blue zircon with this sort of color, but from my understanding even synthetic spinel refraction tests different from natural....and these guys were bang on for spinel.

Okay, I''ll give. I paid $95 a carat - wholesale, not retail pricing. That''d be the equivelent to $200-300 a carat on most websites.
I''ve heard of synthetics that have the same RI has naturals. I''m afraid I haven''t seen that hue either.

Synthetic spinels have a slightly higher RI.

Hallo Harriet!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I''m not a GG-to-be, but may I disagree?
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 11:14:49 PM
Author: Harriet
35.gif
I''m not a GG-to-be, but may I disagree?
9.gif

haHA! oui bien sur...
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merci, Mademoiselle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results