shape
carat
color
clarity

Taste Test Version 2.0 -- SP vs. SP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
At the risk of boring you all with yet another question about which band you like best, I am going to post a bunch of pics of the 2 new bands SP sent me. My plan is to flank my MB lace band with 2 thin eternity rings. Here are the 2 contenders:

Ring #1: 1.5 mm shared prong band with 41 diamonds totaling 44 points

Ring #2: 2.2 mm channel set pave (bead set pave?) band with 44 diamonds totaling 36 points

I'm kind of stuck because I think the bead set band looks much better with the MB band, but it's not quite as sparkly as the shared prong band. I'm also not quite as impressed with the workmanship on the bead set band. Some of the beads/prongs are uneven -- this is not at all visible looking from the top, but under close inspection from the side it is noticeable. I'm honestly not sure, though, whether it bothers me much. It certainly doesn't look sloppy, just not as perfect as it could be. But then again, these are tiny little stacking bands -- how perfect does it need to be? I really like how the depth on the bead set band matches that of the MB -- they look almost like they were made for each other. Anyway, I don't want to say much more because I want to hear what you guys think!

Brace yourself for the onslaught of photos and tell me what you think
9.gif

Here is the MB band and the shared prong band.....

spvssp0001_6.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
MB band and shared prong again...

spvssp0001_4.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
And yet another with the shared prong....

spvssp0001_8.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the MB band and the channel set pave band....

spvssp0001_3.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
channel set yet again...

spvssp0001_5.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
last one of channel set...

spvssp0001_7.JPG

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here's one of the shared prong thin band with my shared prong wedding ring...

ETA Not really loving that this pairing -- it actually looks better in the photo than in real life.

spvssp0001_9.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the shared prong look, but then I like shared prong better most times. I dont know about stacking but to wear with the MB lace that would be my pick.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh now having seen pictures, hands down the channel set looks the best...the shared prong looks odd IMO...it seems too tall for the MB lace ring. Also the MB lace ring is more subtle with pave so it seems like the channel subtle looks best with that style. Oh along with my thoughts on that is that I think the shared prong is too thin and looks really unsubstantial along with the MB lace. I think that the channel width works best with the MB lace and another one will be perfect, also it looks great on your hand, so I wouldn't worry about it being too much width!!

My vote is the channel, no question about it.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 2:13:56 AM
Author: Mara
Oh now having seen pictures, hands down the channel set looks the best...the shared prong looks weird IMO...it seems too tall for the MB lace ring. Also the MB lace ring is more subtle with pave so it seems like the channel subtle looks best with that style. Oh along with my thoughts on that is that I think the shared prong is too thin and looks really unsubstantial along with the MB lace. I think that the channel width works best with the MB lace and another one will be perfect, also it looks great on your hand, so I wouldn''t worrya bout it being too much width!!

My vote is the channel, no question about it.
Ditto to all of the above!
2.gif
Although, it would bug me that the beads are uneven...

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t you have a problem with the signed pieces shared prong rings scratching against other rings? I''d be scared that those little prongs would hurt your other ring.

The bead set ring matches beautifully but I definitely like the sparklies of the shared prong.

This post is probably no help....

Good luck...keep us updated!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza, are you going to wear them stacked as RHR? I think the Michael B band looks fab with the bead set band. I was just wondering, would stacking the MB band with any other ring harm the diamonds set in the profile portion of the MB band? And when you said the bead set band is not as sparkly as the shared prong band, is it because the diamonds are smaller, or of different quality? I''m considering that type of bead set SP ring, but the second one on the shared prong eternity ring page. Somehow, it looks better than the first one listed. Anyway, thanks for sharing-- it''s good to know about the quality of it.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one better too. If this wasn''t going to be my primary wedding band, I don''t think a little uneveness in the tiny prongs would bother me. I love the look of shared prong set bands, but in your case I like the bead set one better with the Michael B ring.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I think #2 blends more with the MB lace.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely channel set. They look like they were meant to be worn together! While I love the shared prong, I think the channel is a better match with the MB band.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Channel set, all the way.

I''m normally a fan of mixing different ring styles, but SP bands have such a distinct, nubby, texture-y look that I think they are best paired with another SP band.

The channel set band has a very similar dainty effect as the SP, but since the edges are smoothed out, it looks much better with the Lace band. :)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 5:00:50 AM
Author: Leila
Demelza, are you going to wear them stacked as RHR? I think the Michael B band looks fab with the bead set band. I was just wondering, would stacking the MB band with any other ring harm the diamonds set in the profile portion of the MB band? And when you said the bead set band is not as sparkly as the shared prong band, is it because the diamonds are smaller, or of different quality? I'm considering that type of bead set SP ring, but the second one on the shared prong eternity ring page. Somehow, it looks better than the first one listed. Anyway, thanks for sharing-- it's good to know about the quality of it.

The diamonds in the MB are ever so slightly recessed into the band, so there's no danger in wearing a band with it. You can be sure I made certain of that given all the problems I've had with hungry and viscious diamond bands
9.gif

The reason the bead set band isn't as sparkly is not because of the diamond quality. The diamonds are a bit smaller (44 diamonds = 36 pts vs. 41 diamonds = 44 points) and because of how they are set into the band there is simply more metal surrounding them. Neither band is super big sparkle -- they're both fairly subtle, but the bead set band is just a bit more subtle.

Pebbles -- I'm inclined to agree with you regaring the slight uneveness not being much of a problem since this isn't going to be my wedding ring or anything super important.

You guys are all confirming what my thoughts -- the bead set band is definitely the way to go. Plus, I already have a shared prong band. This will be a nice change and a very different look. Some days I can wear my shared prong ring and others my stacking bands.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic of the 2 SP rings together. You can see that they''re both sparkly, but the shared prong just has a bit less metal and therefore a bit more zing.

SPvsSP0001_10.JPG

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I agree with you - I really like that bead set band! Would you mind posting a link to it, I''m interested in it too :) and can''t find it on sp website.
Thanks!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmm...i like the bead set more, I think it helps pick up the diamonds in the MB band and sets them off really well. I think the channel set has a bit too much metal and hereby emphasizes the metal of the MB band rather than the sparklies. OR I may just be biased cuz I love shared prong bands!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the bead set channel band the best. I think it looks great with the MB band.
30.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza, I can''t find the petite MB on the Pearlman website. I want to know the price. Can you attach a link to it?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Channel set, channel set, channel set!
36.gif
OH YEAH, baby!!!
31.gif

I LOVE it! It looks PERFECT. I would look no further, my friend! Gorgeous.

And I''m with Leila, I want a MB too!!!!
11.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha me three...
3.gif
I have fallen in love with it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 8:57:55 PM
Demelza, I can''t find the petite MB on the Pearlman website. I want to know the price. Can you attach a link to it?

I don''t think Bill has one in stock yet as they are very new. Dem bought her''s from Michael b. If you give Bill a call or email he''d be happy to help you though.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 10:19:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Date: 12/12/2005 8:57:55 PM

I don''t think Bill has one in stock yet as they are very new. Dem bought her''s from Michael b. If you give Bill a call or email he''d be happy to help you though.

I''m sure Bill can get one for you. I actually feel a bit badly about not buying from him since he''s been so helpful, but the ring was exactly my size and they gave me a nice deal. Michael B''s wife called it the Baby Lace. Bill does have the Petite Lace on his website. If you''re looking for a stand alone ring, I''d go with either the petite or regular lace as they are more substantial. The Baby version is better for stacking or wearing with an ering, I think. It''s only 1.8 mm wide, but very pretty. I love it.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Demz-
Is the bead set band from SP also? This one?
If not where is it from?
Is the shared prong this one?
Also what size ring do you wear?

Scintillating...

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 12:06:26 AM
Author: Scintillating
Demz-

Is the bead set band from SP also? This one?

If not where is it from?

Is the shared prong this one?

Also what size ring do you wear?

Scintillating...

Yup, you have the right rings there.

And I wear a size 6.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
WOW, I can''t believe that bead set band is the same one! It looks 100 times better on your pics than on SP''s pics! Maybe they should hire you as photographer! Seriously I am shopping for affordable eternity band and thought that one looked like all metal on SP. But in your pics it looks awesome!!
As a favor to me would you mind taking a pic of each of the new SP bands with your e-ring? I would REALLLY REALLY appreciate it!!
Thanks!!
Gail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results