shape
carat
color
clarity

Tasaki or Mikimoto

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Totally get what you mean. There are some items that just speaks to you when you see/hold them, and others that don’t. If I try to analyse objectively, there is usually some reason, e.g. for pearls, usually the fantastic luster or color that catches my eye or simply being more flattering against my skin. But it doesn’t matter if you can’t point out why. Just trust your instinct.

Does the Mikimoto strand spark joy in you the way the Tasaki one did?

I think there’s memory attached to that Tasaki strand since I liked the atmosphere at the Tasaki store in Tokyo. The staff gave me good impressions and I got the warm feeling from them after the coldness and overly formal feeling I got from Mikimoto. I remember walking out of the miki store feeling disappointed and walked straight to Tasaki store.

I liked how they took me upstairs and sat me down and asked me if I needed anything to drink, didn’t accept cos I didn’t want to take off my mask. And the middle aged lady asked me what I was looking for and then the elderly man went to take out some strands and they were sorting out the strands at the other side of the display counter. Then later there’s this younger staff who spoke fluent English to translate something for me and the manager the middle aged lady. They noticed the colour of my clothing and understood what I was looking for. Then the conversation went well. I liked how I felt relaxed and the cooperation of those 3 staff members. Didn’t feel pressured to buy but at the same time you really wanted to buy from them because they were kind of genuine.

I have never experienced this kind of atmosphere in any other store before so it’s kind of a special experience to me.

I just worry that the Tasaki strand was a bit too pink since I don’t have the photo I can’t really compare just using my memory but I feel that the quality was top quality.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Totally get what you mean. There are some items that just speaks to you when you see/hold them, and others that don’t. If I try to analyse objectively, there is usually some reason, e.g. for pearls, usually the fantastic luster or color that catches my eye or simply being more flattering against my skin. But it doesn’t matter if you can’t point out why. Just trust your instinct.

Does the Mikimoto strand spark joy in you the way the Tasaki one did?

By the way, the mikimoto strand my SA prepared for me in the local store gave me a Wow factor, I uttered “Wow” at the store when I was holding both ends of the strand to examine. :lol::dance:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Edit - just saw your update on BotB. So that is true in both Eastern and Western Mikimoto boutiques - the diamond clasp means top grade…

Regarding brand recognition. Do you prefer the Mikimoto brand because you value that brand more? Or do you mostly prefer the Mikimoto brand because others value that brand more (ie. Value of what you pass down to children?) Or maybe a mix?

I did some research on tasaki and it seems that they did some restructuring a few years ago because of the crisis of financial issues.

For Mikimoto, there is no worry that they would disappear in the future, it’s very unlikely so it feels like it’s a better and safer option. I mean who would like to see a brand that they buy from disappear in the future right?

It feels like buying from Tasaki equal to buying from Takahashi. For this Japanese trip, I had no time to visit Kobe and asked Takahashi to show me some pearls. Not sure if there’s a difference between top grade Tasaki and Takahashi.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did some research on tasaki and it seems that they did some restructuring a few years ago because of the crisis of financial issues.

For Mikimoto, there is no worry that they would disappear in the future, it’s very unlikely so it feels like it’s a better and safer option. I mean who would like to see a brand that they buy from disappear in the future right?

It feels like buying from Tasaki equal to buying from Takahashi. For this Japanese trip, I had no time to visit Kobe and asked Takahashi to show me some pearls. Not sure if there’s a difference between top grade Tasaki and Takahashi.

You know much more than me about Tasaki.

I agree that if I am paying a premium for a branded piece, I want to make sure the brand itself has lasting value. Otherwise, as you say, what’s the point of buying branded at all…

It does sound like for you Mikimoto is the most mind clean brand. A known and well-respected name with a long shelf life. Different people will have different responses of course, but the extra tax of buying from your local Mikimoto boutique might be a premium worth paying for a strand that you love. Nice to have a trusted local boutique - they can bring other things in for you, it’s convenient for you to stop by for repairs, etc.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
You know much more than me about Tasaki.

I agree that if I am paying a premium for a branded piece, I want to make sure the brand itself has lasting value. Otherwise, as you say, what’s the point of buying branded at all…

It does sound like for you Mikimoto is the most mind clean brand. A known and well-respected name with a long shelf life. Different people will have different responses of course, but the extra tax of buying from your local Mikimoto boutique might be a premium worth paying for a strand that you love. Nice to have a trusted local boutique - they can bring other things in for you, it’s convenient for you to stop by for repairs, etc.

Still I will go to Tasaki local store to have a look at their AAA grade strands just to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

Will show pics if photos are allowed.

Thank you so much for all the opinions.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I disagree. Tasaki is a fairly well known brand in Japan. Takahashi not at all. You can tell from the preloved Jap sites. Lots of Tasaki stuff, just like Mikimoto. Pearl quality wise… they all come from shellfish. I’ve seen non-branded pearls (which I consider Takahashi to be, similar to the wholesalers I see at jewellery shows) that can be nicer than the branded ones and cheaper but there is a branding factor for Mikimoto and certainly Tasaki as well.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I disagree. Tasaki is a fairly well known brand in Japan. Takahashi not at all. You can tell from the preloved Jap sites. Lots of Tasaki stuff, just like Mikimoto. Pearl quality wise… they all come from shellfish. I’ve seen non-branded pearls (which I consider Takahashi to be, similar to the wholesalers I see at jewellery shows) that can be nicer than the branded ones and cheaper but there is a branding factor for Mikimoto and certainly Tasaki as well.

Yes, in Japan it’s well known. I remember mentioning about my experience in Mikimoto at the hotel reception and the staff told me to have a look at Tasaki if there’s only one strand in Mikimoto.

The thing is I suspect that Tasaki’s pearls are from Takahashi. Because Tasaki’s pearls are processed in Kobe and Takahashi is based in Kobe. Or they might share the same processing method.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock

I must admit that buying this category of jewellery needs to be branded piece for me. Otherwise I will just buy real gold pieces of jewellery. For jades, non-branded is fine for me.
As someone who has a few pieces from VCA, I think I know what I am paying for.
And I feel that I can trust the brand because I am not an expert on pearls and some sellers use fresh water pearls and dye them to sell as salt water pearls. For the peace of mind, I choose the branded one.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The thing is I suspect that Tasaki’s pearls are from Takahashi. Because Tasaki’s pearls are processed in Kobe and Takahashi is based in Kobe. Or they might share the same processing method.

Most Akoya and many other pearl companies are based in Kobe. All akoya pearls go through maeshori. Some are bleached and some are pinked but that is done by most pearl factories.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I don’t think so. Possibly same farms as I understand akoya pearls go through the akoyas pearl auctions in Kobe so maybe anyone can buy them but Takahashi is just like any of the b2b sellers you see at the shows. Also I may be wrong but I recall reading that Tasaki have their own farms too.

End of the day, all pearls (in strands, let’s not talk about designs) are from shellfish but with branded clasps or not. If you remove the clasps, I can guarantee finding same quality elsewhere. It’s just like buying diamonds. They are all dug up from the ground but it matters to some that they come in a red box or bright blue box vs unbranded box.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think so. Possibly same farms as I understand akoya pearls go through the akoyas pearl auctions in Kobe so maybe anyone can buy them but Takahashi is just like any of the b2b sellers you see at the shows. Also I may be wrong but I recall reading that Tasaki have their own farms too.

End of the day, all pearls (in strands, let’s not talk about designs) are from shellfish but with branded clasps or not. If you remove the clasps, I can guarantee finding same quality elsewhere. It’s just like buying diamonds. They are all dug up from the ground but it matters to some that they come in a red box or bright blue box vs unbranded box.

I collect antique hand folding fans also and guess what, in early 20th century, the concept of branding already exists and there were a few brands producing hand fans in France. And the antique fans carrying their names fetch higher prices than those who got no brand even though the paintings might look better or was done by a single artist. This is the reality that I know from my experience of collecting antique hand fans.

I don’t want the one who receives my jewellery in the future saying to me ‘You should have gone for Mikimoto’.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Then go for Mikimoto. No need to think so much.

You are kinder than me cos I don’t care when I’m dead and gone whether the people who inherited my blings mind the brand or not. Just be thankful they got something right. :roll:

Also, pearls are organic gems. They deteriorate quite a bit over time. Just look up vintage Mikimotos. If value retention really matters, then maybe pearls are not the best gems to get.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Then go for Mikimoto. No need to think so much.

You are kinder than me cos I don’t care when I’m dead and gone whether the people who inherited my blings mind the brand or not. Just be thankful they got something right. :roll:

Also, pearls are organic gems. They deteriorate quite a bit over time. Just look up vintage Mikimotos. If value retention really matters, then maybe pearls are not the best gems to get.

I think I always buy and keep things that deteriorate such as certain quality clothing and hand fans for painting. I enjoy each item for the fullest except for hand fans (not practical since there’s no use of hand fan), I don’t think I will go for diamond because whenever I try on diamonds, my face turns grey , diamonds never sing to me so I’m buying pearls instead.

Pearls actually carry romantic connotations. Our looks also deteriorate with time so having or wearing pearls mean ‘You deteriorate? I deteriorate with you!’

The best thing to have is the one that when people try to sell them, they worth nothing so what’s the point of selling? Then they all stay within the family.

For watches as well, I won’t go for Rolex, I will go for a brand that produces nice watches but worth less than retail price when being sold.

I think I am quite selfish regarding passing on things, the receiver can or might guess who I am by looking at the things that I collect, so my items actually reflect who I am rather me caring whether they like them or not, but of course, I will try to make sure to give items to those who really value the intrinsic value of my items.

As I am not an expert on pearls, I am posting my pearl buying journey hoping people here can give advice because I know within each grading in big companies, the pearls quality vary slightly so I hope people would chime in to see whether the strand is really of in top quality within that AAA category.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Tasaki is very reputable. If brand recognition is your concern, you don't have to worry about it.

Maybe I will look at their long necklace later in the future in just A or A+grading as the staff has made a great impression on my first visit.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @icy_jade, Mikimoto is clearly more mind clean for you. For me mind-clean is the top priority. Otherwise I have "regrets" and "what ifs" and FOMOs" :read:

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Agree with @icy_jade, Mikimoto is clearly more mind clean for you. For me mind-clean is the top priority. Otherwise I have "regrets" and "what ifs" and FOMOs" :read:

Yes, it’s because I plan to only have one single strand pearl necklace.

The question now is whether to buy the one I picked at my local Mikimoto store or I wait for a while and go to Japan again to another Mikimoto store to try my luck.

I just want to make sure that the one I picked at the local store is of top quality.

chere

Shiny_Rock
Yesterday my SA in my local Mikimoto store gathered all the 7mm and 7.5 mm AAA for me to look at and I could only choose this only one I like out of at least 8 or 10 strands of the same grade. Of course this one I picked got a few very pink ones but most of the pearls got the mixture of pink and green. My SA promised to hold this strand for me for a while.

I would buy it from my local store for this reason. Also you can look at them in the privacy of your own home.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s because I plan to only have one single strand pearl necklace.

The question now is whether to buy the one I picked at my local Mikimoto store or I wait for a while and go to Japan again to another Mikimoto store to try my luck.

I just want to make sure that the one I picked at the local store is of top quality.

How did it look compared to your AAA earrings, do you recall?

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
How did it look compared to your AAA earrings, do you recall?

I do feel that the tone is what I like but there are a few pearls that are very pink and there are at least nine or ten pearls on the left hand side that have more lusters than the rest.

Maybe the pearls that have strong overtone normally create uneven tones.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I have decided not to look at Tasaki because I found out that they have outlets. I feel that having outlets might hurt the brand.

I went to mikimoto again to look at best of the best and the upper higher quality necklaces just to make sure that I really like the one I have chosen.

There’s only slight difference but the price is significantly different.

What do you think?

3D594C8A-518F-4E5F-A3D4-ABF639FE1BFA.jpeg

Attachments

• C53D33C0-F478-4F26-92FE-486FB3863EFA.jpeg
    C53D33C0-F478-4F26-92FE-486FB3863EFA.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 16E38546-AAA8-4E37-B882-C3ACC09C349A.jpeg
    16E38546-AAA8-4E37-B882-C3ACC09C349A.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 52

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have decided not to look at Tasaki because I found out that they have outlets. I feel that having outlets might hurt the brand.

I went to mikimoto again to look at best of the best and the upper higher quality necklaces just to make sure that I really like the one I have chosen.

There’s only slight difference but the price is significantly different.

What do you think?

3D594C8A-518F-4E5F-A3D4-ABF639FE1BFA.jpeg

Honestly, I see the difference even through photos. The strand of smaller pearls (right on the hand) is sharper and more metallic.

You know my views so you won’t be surprised when I recommend not paying the Mikimoto premium for a quality that isn’t Mikimoto’s best ::)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smaller strand has somewhat sharper luster. But if you were not looking at them side by side, IMO the difference would not matter. They are both very lustrous.

Which looks better on your neck? Which one makes you smile more? That is the one I'd choose.

mamong

Rough_Rock
My 0.02: From Mikimoto, I’d choose the strand the I like most when seeing irl. Although you can see the difference between the two side by side, it would be harder to identify if your strand is best of the best or premium grade, unless you check the clasp. Also if it’s a choker, we don’t see it ourselves when we wear it. Not like wearing bracelets, we have more enjoyment by admiring them while we wear them.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
My 0.02: From Mikimoto, I’d choose the strand the I like most when seeing irl. Although you can see the difference between the two side by side, it would be harder to identify if your strand is best of the best or premium grade, unless you check the clasp. Also if it’s a choker, we don’t see it ourselves when we wear it. Not like wearing bracelets, we have more enjoyment by admiring them while we wear them.

To be honest, it’s the Tasaki strand that I felt happy about when I put it on. I knew that it was new in package while this mikimoto strand got tried on for many times (The back of the clasp already scratched).

The Tasaki strand is in Tokyo. I don’t know when I will go back there.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the atmosphere...The staff gave me good impressions and I got the warm feeling from them after the coldness and overly formal feeling I got from Mikimoto. I remember walking out of the miki store feeling disappointed and walked straight to Tasaki store.

I liked how they took me upstairs and sat me down and asked me if I needed anything to drink...They noticed the colour of my clothing and understood what I was looking for....Didn’t feel pressured to buy but at the same time you really wanted to buy from them because they were kind of genuine.

Enjoyed reading. This is such a great example of the intangibles that "stay" with an esthetic purchase. It's not luxury or snobbery or joining a club (i.e., the Rolex vibe); it's the warmth and engagement, the expertise that's freely shared, the "you are important to us but can leave and come back any time."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results