shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog Tallulah Willis, Elongated Asscher Excellence

bcmacdonald

Staff member
fff-1024x576.png

PriceScopeKayti published a new blog post.

Tallulah Belle Willis is the youngest daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis. She, like her sisters, has spent her life in and out of the public eye...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
What is an elongated asscher? Sounds like a jeweler trying to market either a oddly cut emerald or a poorly cut asscher diamond.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is TDF, whatever appropriate nomenclature for the stone might be :love:

PSers and other vendors misuse the name “Asscher” all the time - our soapbox is awfully slippery.
(In another thread Garry pointed out there is an active trademark on the name. Enforceability of that trademark is all but impossible, however, so violation is rampant.)

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K So an asscher* (by PS standards/Ps vendors?) has to fall within a certain ratio? Is that the only thing that differentiates an asscher*
from an emerald cut?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay.. @Karl_K I have no idea what my diamond is...It’s an antique..It’s GIA report says it’s a rectangular step cut..People tell me it’s an emerald..Other people tell me it’s an elongated asscher. Please let me know what it is..
It’s not in this setting anymore. I’m getting it reset.
I stuck it in an old mold that doesn’t fit.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 10ACED0D-8FF6-4F27-9E66-743F6CA98D06.jpeg
    10ACED0D-8FF6-4F27-9E66-743F6CA98D06.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 22
  • A3E305A8-D6B6-4B6B-BC9E-0F34F1785680.jpeg
    A3E305A8-D6B6-4B6B-BC9E-0F34F1785680.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 0F7BB124-77AD-4863-849E-3F0E6AD9CD24.jpeg
    0F7BB124-77AD-4863-849E-3F0E6AD9CD24.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K So an asscher* (by PS standards/Ps vendors?) has to fall within a certain ratio? Is that the only thing that differentiates an asscher*
from an emerald cut?
By gia standards a square emerald/Asscher has to have a pointed culet or an approximate same sized on all sides open culet and a l/w ratio under 1.05.
Emerald cut is over 1.05l/w or a keel culet or rectangular culet if open.
It is over l.05 l/w and has an rectangular open culet so its an Emerald cut.
GIA didn't define the difference it just recognized it based on tradition and the 1902 Asscher patent..

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay.. @Karl_K I have no idea what my diamond is...It’s an antique..It’s GIA report says it’s a rectangular step cut..People tell me it’s an emerald..Other people tell me it’s an elongated asscher. Please let me know what it is..
Thank you!
rectangular step cut is a catch all when it doesn't fit the other categories for some reason or it was picked at random.
To much light hitting the center of the stone to see what is going on there.
Can you post a picture of the diagram on the Gia report if it has one? Other pictures under flat lighting?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
rectangular step cut is a catch all when it doesn't fit the other categories for some reason or it was picked at random.
To much light hitting the center of the stone to see what is going on there.
Can you post a picture of the diagram on the Gia report if it has one? Other pictures under flat lighting?

Thank you @Karl_K! It’s with David
Klass getting reset. I’ll look at the report when I get home..

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!
Wow, @MamaBee. You got another new bling? Where’s the post on this?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is TDF, whatever appropriate nomenclature for the stone might be :love:

PSers and other vendors misuse the name “Asscher” all the time - our soapbox is awfully slippery.
(In another thread Garry pointed out there is an active trademark on the name. Enforceability of that trademark is all but impossible, however, so violation is rampant.)

Isn't it stunning? I saw it in the celebrity ring thread and GASPED out loud!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Karl_K There was just a general diagram...I blew up a pic to see if you could maybe make it out.
8C74DB69-3DF2-4705-ACDE-D133A09168AF.jpeg

Attachments

• 2ECB7C31-0C56-4E00-9B98-FF4D409682AA.png
    2ECB7C31-0C56-4E00-9B98-FF4D409682AA.png
    252 KB · Views: 16

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K There was just a general diagram...I blew up a pic to see if you could maybe make it out.
8C74DB69-3DF2-4705-ACDE-D133A09168AF.jpeg

Can I chicken out and just call it kicken kewl?
I think I see what they did but im not sure at this point I need a picture with the camera level and above with the table shooting strait down.
Don't worry if the diamond dont look its best because of all the obstruction.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just looked at the report they called it a "cut-cornered rectangular step cut". That makes more sense.
That would translate to an emerald cut with larger than normal windmills.
"cut-cornered" = larger than normal windmills/corners.
"rectangular step cut" = Emerald cut.

Here an image of a gia report for one that has the plot. cutcorneredrectangularstepcut.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would still like the picture requested above to see if it has a keel or if they forced it to a point which is what I can't decide from the pictures shown. That is if you dont mind and have the time if not its not a big deal.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @Karl_K David Klass has it now. As soon as I get it I will take some of my usual crummy pics! Haha I’ll try really hard to get what you said..I’m pretty bad. :lol:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just hit me there is another way to decode it while the Emerald cut is a form of rectangular step cuts there is another form.
"rectangular step cut" with pointed corners and no windmills.
Using that form it "cut-cornered rectangular step cut" would
translate into:
"cut-cornered" = it has big corners cut on a "rectangular step cut"
rectstepcut.jpg
Probably in the middle of the night I will wake up smack my forehead thinking I forgot about another translation.
I drive myself nuts sometimes with this stuff LOL

Last edited:

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
I also worked with Jogani to select my antique center stone, and he referred to mine as an elongated asscher as well. When asked how one differentiates between an emerald cut and an elongated asscher, he said that it’s the short side pavilion angles, culet size and the major cut corners.

@MamaBee I know you had similar questions about your antique step cut diamond! I wonder if antique stones might be classified a bit differently?

At the end of the day I don’t really care one way or another, because the diamond is beyond incredible!! Honestly, all of Anup’s diamonds and gems are unbelievable, and Tallulah’s is no exception!! :kiss2:

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Karl_K for the info/education!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just hit me there is another way to decode it while the Emerald cut is a form of rectangular step cuts there is another form.
"rectangular step cut" with pointed corners and no windmills.
Using that form it "cut-cornered rectangular step cut" would
translate into:
"cut-cornered" = it has big corners cut on a "rectangular step cut"
rectstepcut.jpg
Probably in the middle of the night I will wake up smack my forehead thinking I forgot about another translation.
I drive myself nuts sometimes with this stuff LOL
:lol: I would just like to know if it could be put in a category. The diamond is so pretty..It doesn’t photograph well..but it’s a sparkle bomb. I have a video of it but I don’t know how to post it..:think: I think I may have it on my IG..BRB!
Darn! I do but you still can’t tell.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an elongated asscher and have read up on some Asscher/asscher history and there were elongated ones cut. Please forgive me for not having time to go find that tidbit of info again to post!

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Step cuts have been cut in all different l/w ratios,facet counts,corner sizes for over a century and there were those that were cut to bypass the Asscher patent which described a square stone which traditionally and gia standard is under 1.05l/w
The US patent search for the early 1900s appears to be borked at the moment so I'm not able to quote it chapter and verse on its definition of square.

There are probably very few nuts in the world who actually care about this stuff enough to call it out. LOL

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

I LOVE your diamond!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the finished product, @MamaBee!

Whatever the cut is called, Tallulah's ring is drop dead gorgeous.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results