clarity

Blog Tallulah Willis, Elongated Asscher Excellence

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
All hail King @Karl_K - he knows stuff!

9B09D345-A9D2-40BD-90FF-1BFDBB314D51.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also worked with Jogani to select my antique center stone, and he referred to mine as an elongated asscher as well. When asked how one differentiates between an emerald cut and an elongated asscher, he said that it’s the short side pavilion angles, culet size and the major cut corners.

@MamaBee I know you had similar questions about your antique step cut diamond! I wonder if antique stones might be classified a bit differently?

At the end of the day I don’t really care one way or another, because the diamond is beyond incredible!! Honestly, all of Anup’s diamonds and gems are unbelievable, and Tallulah’s is no exception!! :kiss2:

@LoveMeDo I think you’re right..They had a different cutting style back then. I think they sometimes don’t fit into a neat category.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would call em.. big cornered emerald cuts for casual conversation..
Its easier to understand than cut-cornered rectangular step cut.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I would call em.. big cornered emerald cuts for casual conversation..
Its easier to understand than cut-cornered rectangular step cut.

Would folks mind chatting about those windmills? I tend to love them, and think they make TW’s ring much more interesting, but I wonder about things like do the windmills interfere with the hall of mirrors effect? If the windmills exist should they meet at the very center/bottom of the stone or at one of the higher facets? Are prominent windmills just a taste thing, considered a flaw in the cut, or are they a way to hide an otherwise leaky cut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would folks mind chatting about those windmills? I tend to love them, and think they make TW’s ring much more interesting, but I wonder about things like do the windmills interfere with the hall of mirrors effect? If the windmills exist should they meet at the very center/bottom of the stone or at one of the higher facets? Are prominent windmills just a taste thing, considered a flaw in the cut, or are they a way to hide an otherwise leaky cut?
Sure,
All the answers are it depends and an opinion.
In my opinion the windmills that do not go to the bottom or to an open culet give the stone an unfinished look.
How big the windmills are is a matter of taste.
There are stones cut with none to comparatively large cut corners hence different windmill size.
Here is where it gets really complex the windmills provide different sized and angled virtual facets to add some smaller chunks of light return to the large to ex-large virtual facets in the center.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Sure,
All the answers are it depends and an opinion.
In my opinion the windmills that do not go to the bottom or to an open culet give the stone an unfinished look.
How big the windmills are is a matter of taste.
There are stones cut with none to comparatively large cut corners hence different windmill size.
Here is where it gets really complex the windmills provide different sized and angled virtual facets to add some smaller chunks of light return to the large to ex-large virtual facets in the center.

Thank you Karl! That opened up a worm hole that had lots of things going over my head. But I think it helps me make sense of what I like about step cuts—I think it comes down to balance for me between wanting as much sparkle from those virtual facets while maintaining a legible geometry of the steps. Would it be right to take from the discussion about virtual facets size at angles the idea that its the virtual facets that help prevent windowpaning at extreme viewing angles of step cuts? (I think it was some inkling of that thought that made me wonder if the windmills were disguising light leakage?)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Karl! That opened up a worm hole that had lots of things going over my head. But I think it helps me make sense of what I like about step cuts—I think it comes down to balance for me between wanting as much sparkle from those virtual facets while maintaining a legible geometry of the steps. Would it be right to take from the discussion about virtual facets size at angles the idea that its the virtual facets that help prevent windowpaning at extreme viewing angles of step cuts? (I think it was some inkling of that thought that made me wonder if the windmills were disguising light leakage?)

Complimentary angles with the proper placement of the facets is what determines if a step cut is bright and lively or dull and lifeless.
Any diamond cut will show some leakage at an extreme enough angle.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Okay.. @Karl_K I have no idea what my diamond is...It’s an antique..It’s GIA report says it’s a rectangular step cut..People tell me it’s an emerald..Other people tell me it’s an elongated asscher. Please let me know what it is..
It’s not in this setting anymore. I’m getting it reset.
I stuck it in an old mold that doesn’t fit.
Thank you!

What it is is off-the-charts beautiful. I have 3 and look at Asschers as a hobby and compulsion. Yours invokes more awe, more envy and admiration than any I can recall.
It's good that you have it and not me. You're a good steward.
Waiting to see the next incarnation.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
What it is is off-the-charts beautiful. I have 3 and look at Asschers as a hobby and compulsion. Yours invokes more awe, more envy and admiration than any I can recall.
It's good that you have it and not me. You're a good steward.
Waiting to see the next incarnation.

Thank you @brakeforpossums! I just decided to keep it very simple and small..no halo..Sometimes I feel like a low key look..
I would love to see your asschers!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results