shape
carat
color
clarity

talk to me about girdle chips

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
During my most recent trip to the appraiser's office, one of my stones was identified to have a chip in the girdle. He advised a recut/repair.

1) how much should this cost?

2) How easy is it to chip a stone? I can't imagine how I could've done it since a) I've totally babied the piece b) it's in a largely protective setting.

Tell me all about it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know there are people who have girdle rehab done on old cuts through Erica or Grace, or you could contact one of the diamond vendors to ask who they use or if they'd arrange it for you. A total recut was $350 a carat the last time I checked, so polishing a girdle shouldn't be a major expense unless it is a big one requiring a full recut. It likely happened when you weren't even aware. Is your girdle very thin or an old cut? Many old cuts have extremely thin girdles and some have chips or they are at risk of chips. But I have heard of others trading in modern cut stones with normal girdles (thin to slightly thick) and tiny chips were discovered. It can happen when the stone accidentally hits something.

I am really just bumping this for you in hopes someone has experience having girdle chips polished! Please come back and tell us after you do!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1461814902|4024461 said:
I know there are people who have girdle rehab done on old cuts through Erica or Grace, or you could contact one of the diamond vendors to ask who they use or if they'd arrange it for you. A total recut was $350 a carat the last time I checked, so polishing a girdle shouldn't be a major expense unless it is a big one requiring a full recut. It likely happened when you weren't even aware. Is your girdle very thin or an old cut? Many old cuts have extremely thin girdles and some have chips or they are at risk of chips. But I have heard of others trading in modern cut stones with normal girdles (thin to slightly thick) and tiny chips were discovered. It can happen when the stone accidentally hits something.

I am really just bumping this for you in hopes someone has experience having girdle chips polished! Please come back and tell us after you do!

Interesting- thanks for your input! I had no idea what even a recut cost, so that's good to know. I'll have to look into that...I would seriously doubt it would require a full recut, so hopefully it wouldn't be too expensive. It will probably have to go on the back burner.... I have other things I want to spend on at the moment (starts with a u- and ends with an -pgradge). Poor stone will have to sit idle in the jewelry box for now!

It's thin, but not very thin. The cut is vintage, but not antique.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results