shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk me out of converting this art deco stickpin into a ring

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hello, jewelry friends. I got this little art deco stickpin at a charity shop. It has a 3mm carré cut diamond that looks very clean and white to my eye, twelve single-cut diamonds, and a little emerald. The main diamond has fairly strong blue fluorescence, which I think is cool. The piece is unmarked, but I think the stem is white gold and the head is platinum, going by the colors and weight.

Please talk me out of converting it into a ring (I have way too many rings) or a pendant (I don't often wear pendants).

Also, how big (in carats) is a 3mm carré cut? And did they have synthetic emeralds back then, or is this tiny emerald likely to be natural?

(I'm really mostly just posting to share this pretty pin with people who will appreciate it.)

IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3136.jpg IMG_3139.jpg IMG_3142.jpg IMG_3161.jpg IMG_3168.jpg IMG_3181.jpg IMG_3186.jpg IMG_3189.jpg IMG_3192.jpg IMG_3195.jpg IMG_3204.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there such a thing as too many pendants??? Or rings? I think it’s gorgeous and if I owned it I would want to wear it! I prob wouldn’t wear it as a pin so I would convert to a pendant

That’s super pretty! I wouldn’t convert it to a ring or a pendant if it won’t get worn enough tbh because I’d consider it a waste of such a pretty piece!

How about converting it to a brooch instead? You could even do a brooch with a pendant attachment or something if you wanted the ability to wear it as a pendant, but I think it would look the best as a brooch on a blouse, dress or blazer lapel. Just a touch of extra bling to liven up your outfit! Can just picture it worn on a navy blazer over a simple lace dress and a strand of pearls around your neck - so utterly classy!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That’s super pretty! I wouldn’t convert it to a ring or a pendant if it won’t get worn enough tbh because I’d consider it a waste of such a pretty piece!

How about converting it to a brooch instead? You could even do a brooch with a pendant attachment or something if you wanted the ability to wear it as a pendant, but I think it would look the best as a brooch on a blouse, dress or blazer lapel. Just a touch of extra bling to liven up your outfit! Can just picture it worn on a navy blazer over a simple lace dress and a strand of pearls around your neck - so utterly classy!

Thank you, All Aboard! I don't need to convert it if I'm going to wear it on a lapel--it's already a pin.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the shape is suited to a ring. It would look awkward, in my opinion.
And you say you don't wear pendants.
So maybe wear it as is------stick it onto any shirt or collar.
You might find that you like it as a pin after all!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty!

I think it is too plaque-like for a ring and will look "repurposed."

I vote pendant. We did this with an old Arts & Crafts stick pin. (I guess all stick pins are old :cool2:.)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s lovely! I’d wear it as a pin for a bit and see whether you enjoy it as is

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s lovely! Do you wear it as a pin?

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
It could be converted into a bracelet - this way you will still get to enjoy seeing it when it is worn.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it would be a lovely pendant.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's a very nice pin, if you'd put it on a sweater or something or a coat. I think the shape will not be that pleasing as a ring, but it's up to you of course. A bracelet is a nice idea if you wear those.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, all. I agree that it's the wrong shape for a ring. I'll leave it as a pin and hope the pandemic ends soon--I haven't been wearing any jewelry lately except rings and the occasional earring (so my ear piercings don't close up).

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@glitterata what a lovely pin! I would probably leave it, but also think that it would look nice as a ring running E-W across your finger instead of N-S.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it as is. You can have fun with it. Put it on your coat/jacket/scarf. Wear it on your sweater. If you wear hats you can put it on the hat. You can move it and wear it so many different ways. It’s lovely. ❤️

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to like asymmetrical designs and think it could be super cute as a ring if it was set in an East/West direction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results