shape
carat
color
clarity

Talk about an imperfect honker of an emerald...

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I would like some advice on whether or not my purchase was worth it. If anyone follows JR Columbian Emeralds you have probably seen this emerald on their instagram. Being the emerald fanatic that I am, I fell in love with it and being cursed with instant gratification, I bought it. And I love it...well, some parts of it.

I love the color of the emerald and I love the size, it is a 2.77ct (moderate oil) that is a HONKER on my size 4 finger. I love how it looks on my finger. I took a couple of glamour shots of it in the light and it is very beautiful and clean. Did I mention how big it is?
Screenshot_20200124_174103_com.huawei.himovie.jpg
Screenshot_20200124_174109_com.huawei.himovie.jpg

But when I take it off, the emerald makes me go "AHH! That window!"

wx_camera_1579914396846.jpg

Now I know very well about how a lot of PSers feel about windows. For me though, if the price is right and it looks good on my hand, I don't mind it as much. But that's where my dilemma comes in...is the price right?? I feel like I may have gotten a decent deal on it but whenever I see the window I am a bit unsure. It is $3500 total.

I am very torn on this ring, and would appreciate any advice. I feel a little self conscious about posting because I know many people here hate the window, and i do too if it's very obvious on the hand, but..it's not. I wouldn't say I wouldn't notice a window at all, but it doesn't distract me from the beauty of the stone.

I have another week or so to return the whole thing, and I would kind of miss it if it's gone, but maybe I can get a much better one at this size and price?

Thanks in advance for your input

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can’t comment on the pricing as haven’t been looking at emeralds... from a window perspective...

If the window doesn’t bother you when the ring on your finger, I think it’s ok. If it does, then return?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As some PSers who frequent the CS section have commented in the past, they can tolerate a bit of window if the colour is good.

This is very true for CSs like Emeralds, Rubies and Sapphires.

Based on the photos posted in this thread, the window does not appear to be noticeable when the ring is on the finger.

And the colour is nice, a good size with decent clarity to me.

I can't comment about the price, however I like it, and can probably live with the window.

DK :))

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal opinion is that it is beautiful! Can’t comment in price either, but it does seem like bang for the buck given its presence on your hand. Windows can be distracting when extreme, but There are many other qualities that are rare, influential and vital in stones. Again this is my perception and relationship to gems...but I look for the overarching spirit, because great jewelry pieces are more than the sum of their qualities.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Additional photos with and without flash :) There is a dark patch in the center sometimes, but the rest of it definitely glows.

Thanks for the kind comments in the thread. As for the price, I would just like to know if I have gone crazy and have way overpaid and could have gotten something miles better with better cut at the same price. If that is not the case, I think I will give it a couple of more days to decide.

Screenshot_20200124_182532_com.android.gallery3d.jpg IMG_20200124_182627.jpg

I think I just sort of started worrying when I saw an Embassy Emerald piece that is slightly smaller but at a similar price with better cut, but I can't judge for myself if the clarity is about the same.
Screenshot_20200124_183158.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you cant see the window when you are wearing it then it really doesn't matter and you should definitely keep it!

Having said that, the window is visable in the second of the three photos below. I suspect this is the reason for the dark patch you can see.

However the EE stone may have an internal fault running from the top right corner to the left bottom corner though (hard to tell from the blurry thumbnail sized photo though!). So it isnt neccessarily a better buy.

Additional photos with and without flash :) There is a dark patch in the center sometimes, but the rest of it definitely glows.

Thanks for the kind comments in the thread. As for the price, I would just like to know if I have gone crazy and have way overpaid and could have gotten something miles better with better cut at the same price. If that is not the case, I think I will give it a couple of more days to decide.

Screenshot_20200124_182532_com.android.gallery3d.jpg IMG_20200124_182627.jpg

I think I just sort of started worrying when I saw an Embassy Emerald piece that is slightly smaller but at a similar price with better cut, but I can't judge for myself if the clarity is about the same.
Screenshot_20200124_183158.jpg

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that is what I meant by the dark patch. That is where the window is and I can definitely see it sometimes, and I was trying to show that. I'm not trying to say that I 100% don't notice it, just that it's not as visible and does not bother me too much. It's also less noticeable in daylight. Here is a better photo to show the window under the bathroom lights. What I noticed about the window is that one side seems to have better cut than the other...so if I flip this thing then the window is less noticeable at an angle. Strange huh?

IMG_20200125_000930.jpg

And if you flip it...
IMG_20200125_002223.jpg

Huh, now that you point it out for the EE emerald, that does make sense! It is so hard to judge just from photos, and I am personally reluctant to return my ring just for a new stone (unless if you guys think it's the obvious winner of course!) since I don't know how it looks like irl

If you cant see the window when you are wearing it then it really doesn't matter and you should definitely keep it!

Having said that, the window is visable in the second of the three photos below. I suspect this is the reason for the dark patch you can see.

However the EE stone may have an internal fault running from the top right corner to the left bottom corner though (hard to tell from the blurry thumbnail sized photo though!). So it isnt neccessarily a better buy.

Last edited:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I agree with icy jade a window is really only a problem if it bothers you.

I dont think you will get a much better stone for 1 k per ct. If you wanted to considerably drop the size then I would buy this instead (advantages no window, probably minimal clarity enhancement but you should check the lab report. Disadvantage is approximately 1/3 the size)

But it sounds like you love the one you bought. If that is the case then I think it is a good buy.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous and I could probably live with that window BUT if it’s something that you cannot stop noticing in a bad way.... maybe pass?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It’s a beauty!!! Also looks great on you and not too big at all! As to the dark area, well, in emeralds you will definitely see something at times at this price point. Actually most of the time the entire stone glows and especially when color is there, you will see some dark areas under certain lighting conditions especially on photos. Duck neck green stones blacken out a lot more on photos and in low light. Emeralds are perfectly imperfect stones, just the way they are and I personally love them soooo....

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot for the input. If I wanted a top colour, top clarity, top everything stone, I'd rather save for a much bigger budget and examine closely and make sure everything is perfect even if I spend more. As is though, I am comfortable with what I spent on the stone, but I just wanted to make sure I am not crazy for liking it :)

So I agree with icy jade a window is really only a problem if it bothers you.

I dont think you will get a much better stone for 1 k per ct. If you wanted to considerably drop the size then I would buy this instead (advantages no window, probably minimal clarity enhancement but you should check the lab report. Disadvantage is approximately 1/3 the size)

But it sounds like you love the one you bought. If that is the case then I think it is a good buy.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I drool at duck neck green emeralds every single day....one day I will have the honor of owning one.

And you are right, for stones like emeralds, each has a different personality, you just have to make sure you love that personality. I am at the stage of wondering if I should commit to this relationship..lol, but given the comments on this thread, I think I will.

It’s a beauty!!! Also looks great on you and not too big at all! As to the dark area, well, in emeralds you will definitely see something at times at this price point. Actually most of the time the entire stone glows and especially when color is there, you will see some dark areas under certain lighting conditions especially on photos. Duck neck green stones blacken out a lot more on photos and in low light. Emeralds are perfectly imperfect stones, just the way they are and I personally love them soooo....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a paler Columbian emerald the same size about 26 years ago for 1200. So if you adjust for inflation and the gold setting, $3500 is a decent price. The important thing is that YOU have to like it. The window may bug you over time. This is my emerald for color/quality comparison. Yours may be paler, darker, more or less included. My stone is 2.8 carats and I bought it loose.

It’s small on my size 9 finger, lol! 7038AED5-7E45-4A6D-A5E2-86107C637E87.png

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would any windowing be reduced with a mirror-polished cup behind the stone?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I personally think it would. Maybe if I feel like the window started to bother me like @T L said I will take it to a jeweler!

Would any windowing be reduced with a mirror-polished cup behind the stone?

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Your emerald is very pretty (and no windows)! If you got it 26 years ago even if it's oiled it's probably all gone, have you considered re-oiling it to see if how it would look? The window may start to bother me over time but the price is decent, I would instead change the setting and try to close the window :)

I have tiny tiny fingers lol, it sometimes works in my favor in times like this. I used to wear more fashion rings that were inventory based, and their smallest size is always 5. Never again..(I lost all of them while out)

I bought a paler Columbian emerald the same size about 26 years ago for 1200. So if you adjust for inflation and the gold setting, $3500 is a decent price. The important thing is that YOU have to like it. The window may bug you over time. This is my emerald for color/quality comparison. Yours may be paler, darker, more or less included. My stone is 2.8 carats and I bought it loose.

It’s small on my size 9 finger, lol! 7038AED5-7E45-4A6D-A5E2-86107C637E87.png

Last edited:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really love the ring! The color is the emerald looks great to me and the price doesn't seem out of line for the size of the gem.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I personally think it would. Maybe if I feel like the window started to bother me like @T L said I will take it to a jeweler!

Put a foil or metal thing behind the ring to mimic a cup/plate. May or may not make a difference and if it matters to you then best to try/experiment first.

Covering the back hasn’t always worked for all my windowed stones and it’s made me more wary of getting windowed stones since I’m very sensitive to them.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I stuck a piece of metal under it and it seems to have closed the window or at the very least decreased the appearance of the window significantly. My concern with a metal plate underneath is that it makes a bit harder to clean, so I won't touch it unless it bothers me to the extent that I must close the window

Photo educational purposes (The
dark part on the left is a small patch that my metal chopstick was not able to cover :lol:)

IMG_20200125_160412.jpg

Put a foil or metal thing behind the ring to mimic a cup/plate. May or may not make a difference and if it matters to you then best to try/experiment first.

Covering the back hasn’t always worked for all my windowed stones and it’s made me more wary of getting windowed stones since I’m very sensitive to them.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your emerald is very pretty (and no windows)! If you got it 26 years ago even if it's oiled it's probably all gone, have you considered re-oiling it to see if how it would look? The window may start to bother me over time but the price is decent, I would instead change the setting and try to close the window :)

I have tiny tiny fingers lol, it sometimes works in my favor in times like this. I used to wear more fashion rings that were inventory based, and their smallest size is always 5. Never again..(I lost all of them while out)

Thank you, no window, but some jardin. I never oiled it because it’s looked the same since I purchased it.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I’m of no help because I know nothing about emeralds but I couldn’t help to butt in and say: it’s beautiful!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Older thread but I recently discovered their IG page and have been drooling over their rings in this bezeled style. This ring looks lovely on you! Do you happen to know the mm from north to south? Bc I was looking at one on eBay that says the emerald is over 3ct it’s 10mm yet it looks kind of dainty on the model’s hand! I can’t figure it out lol.

Attachments

• 2E1C5890-9322-4541-AD6F-5B197C0C2BB0.jpeg
    2E1C5890-9322-4541-AD6F-5B197C0C2BB0.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

abhiram

Rough_Rock
Trade
It’s a beauty!!! Your emerald is very pretty and also looks great on you and not too big at all! I really love the ring! The color is the emerald looks great to me and the price doesn't seem out of line for the size of the gem.=)2

Older thread but I recently discovered their IG page and have been drooling over their rings in this bezeled style. This ring looks lovely on you! Do you happen to know the mm from north to south? Bc I was looking at one on eBay that says the emerald is over 3ct it’s 10mm yet it looks kind of dainty on the model’s hand! I can’t figure it out lol.

I see what you mean. In my mind I'd expect a 10mm bezeled stone to end up looking like a doorknob. But the yellow gold bezel is so subtle and the side stones are tilted at the perfect angle to cover the rest of the finger. The whole thing looks very balanced.

Maybe the 10mm is including the bezel? Or maybe we've been on PS too long and we're not even fazed anymore by 10mm stones! :lol-2:

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
Since you asked, I did some digging and found a pic when this ring was on the model's hand before I bought it. It was 10.25mm stone wise, it looks a bit bigger than what you have from my pic?

I am a size 4 so it looks huge on my hand, I would guess she is a size 7?

Edit: For everyone else that replied, thank you so much! I eventually realized I was just being silly and that I do love this emerald. I love it more everyday and I am embracing it with its imperfections to the fullest. It is now one of my most worn ring! (And a part of my profile picture lol)

Screenshot_20210215_224954.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think to what others have already said, I can only add this. In general, in an emerald with an emerald cut, you have to have quite a bit of depth, if you want to close the window, both because of the emerald's lower refractive index, and the angles involved in the pavillion of the emerald cut. So, the emerald without a window would have to sit higher on your finger, and feel different from a low-set bezel, if such is normally your preference. If a windowless emerald of the same face-up size necessitates a higher setting, would you still reach for it as often?
il_794xN.2864528933_6bxz.jpg
This is an example of a high setting on a windowless emerald, albeit an oval cut instead of emerald.
There's a listing of an emerald cut emerald, which also sits high off the finger.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean. In my mind I'd expect a 10mm bezeled stone to end up looking like a doorknob. But the yellow gold bezel is so subtle and the side stones are tilted at the perfect angle to cover the rest of the finger. The whole thing looks very balanced.

Maybe the 10mm is including the bezel? Or maybe we've been on PS too long and we're not even fazed anymore by 10mm stones! :lol-2:

Hahaha yes unfazed by 10mm love it! And those measurements do include bezel but even still it looks more petite to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results