shape
carat
color
clarity

Taking the plunge on ring redesign

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Squeeeeeeee, I just approved a CAD with David Klass today and I wanted to say thank you to this forum for providing inspiration and education. As soon as I saw DK’s work, I knew he was my person. I feel like I’m corresponding with a celebrity when I email with him (or, Amy). I’ve had a few of his bezel rings saved on my instagram for awhile and finally decided to just do it. We’re incredibly privileged with our employment/ life situation during all of this so we’re doing ok, but it’s been coupled with some non-COVID-related health stuff for me and some dear friends and I need a distraction and a treat. And his prices are so reasonable!

Currently I have a .5 carat solitaire with channel set side stones in white gold and a matching wedding band. The center stone is lovely but I’m not a solitaire person or a prong person. I’m now going to have a three stone bezel ring in platinum, keeping my center and DK is sourcing the sides. I’m also going to have him recreate the wedding band as an eternity, using the existing diamonds from the engagement ring and the wedding band.

Anyway, thanks. You guys have taught me so much. I was tweaking CADs like a boss thanks to you! (Well, maybe not like a boss, but like a reasonably aware person.) I’ll keep you posted as it evolves!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so exciting! DK does wonderful work, I can’t wait to see your new rings!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds amazing! Do you have a current ring picture?

dmack

Shiny_Rock
E2AA7748-DE8D-41B4-84F4-63DF25DCC9EA.jpeg 6C5D5499-E55F-4513-9C66-78A72F07BCD5.jpeg

Current rings. I’m going to keep engraving on the new eternity ring and couple the .5 carat center with two .25 carat sides. But, add milgrain around the bezels and edge of eternity ring. !!! I’m not sure if I’ll do channel set again or bead set instead. I had them mock up both and preferred the look of channel set, but I don’t think they have the right dimensions of my stones so I’m going to wait until they have them in hand to make any changes/decisions.

And, I need to decide ring size. My size is anywhere from 6-7 depending on ring width. The current set is size 7 soldered together which was perfectly comfy, but the new set will not be soldered. The three stone will definitely be size 7, but I’m wondering if the wedding band should be a quarter to a half size smaller. Current set is decidedly not comfort fit (ugh) but the new set will be. Today I’m stacking two size 6.5 rings that total 3-4mm thick altogether and they’re perfect. (I’m googling cheap amazon rings to try on for size...)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How is your project going? Would love to see the CADs

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds exciting! Congratulations! Are you sending him your diamond? I need to reset my rings too and debating where I should go. Fortunately I think I've decided on a style (plain platinum band with delicate 6 prongs). But deciding where to get it done is difficult.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
The main ring was cast last week! Here's the CAD with both together. I'm hoping to see finished pics soon? I'll have some small diamonds leftover and will have to try to resist immediately plunging into another project (!!!).
DK 60183-QUAD-7.jpg
@dizzyakira, yes, I did send him my rings. He sent me a UPS mailing label and got them 2 days later.* He unset all of the stones himself - in the COVID era, it seemed silly for me to walk into a local store, have them unset my main stone, and then mail them off. And since I don't need/want to keep the old settings, he's melting down the rings and giving me credit for the gold.

*It is a miracle they arrived, completely unrelated to David. My local UPS is in the middle of a college town, there was only one man on duty, and immediately after I walked in the door, several people got in line behind me, so then the man was completely overwhelmed. The store didn't have any UPS boxes in stock so I had to pay $16 to buy boxes (required for insurance purposes) and have them box it up for me. But given the line behind me, I didn't see my rings being boxed, I just saw the guy toss my ring box into a bin on the ground next to him with the mailing label. AAAAGGGGGHHHHH. I had a moment where I considered being "that person" and holding up half a dozen people trying desperately to social distance in a tiny UPS store while I insisted on seeing the boxes being sealed up...but then I was like, eh, it's insured and not that precious. If it had been some of the jewels on this site, I'd have turned into that person for sure!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
What an exciting project! I love a bezel set three stone ring and I'm so excited to see yours when it's done

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I like the proportions of the sides to the centre stone! Thank goodness your old ring got to DK!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Glamour shots! (not my hand) They ship today, hopefully. He just needs to add an inscription to the inside of the ring. I loooooooove the shank taper as it meets the bezel.

DKPV2020-08-28---60183-TSS-01.jpg DKPV2020-08-26---60183-EB-01.jpg DKPV2020-08-26---60183-EB-04.jpg DKPV2020-08-28---60183-TSS-02.jpg IMG_0828.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! You must be so excited!!!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait! I was going to send him an e-mail today asking for an update since it's been two weeks since the last communication, but then I woke up this morning to all this goodness and beauty in my inbox. I'll start a SMTB thread when they're in hand. It's up on his Instagram already. ::happy dance:: I'm seriously fan-girling over here.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Sooo pretty and I love them together!

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Glamour shots! (not my hand) They ship today, hopefully. He just needs to add an inscription to the inside of the ring. I loooooooove the shank taper as it meets the bezel.

DKPV2020-08-28---60183-TSS-01.jpg DKPV2020-08-26---60183-EB-01.jpg DKPV2020-08-26---60183-EB-04.jpg DKPV2020-08-28---60183-TSS-02.jpg IMG_0828.jpg

So beautiful!! I love the details on the band profile! So delicate and pretty!!!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. I saw the three stone on his Instagram and loved it then. Can't wait for your hand shots.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh this is such a lovely reset/revamp! How exciting. Can’t wait to see handshots. How sleek and delicate is that channel setting on the wedding band?!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely!!!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results