shape
carat
color
clarity

Taking Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Begood

Rough_Rock
After several months of reading all your great stories and viewing the many beautiful rings, I finally registered and was hoping to post some pictures of my ring. I am having the hardest time taking quality pictures. Can some provide some assistance on how I can take these pictures without it coming out so blurry? Thanks.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PS!!!! Use the macro mode on your camera, turn off the flas and if you can take pics with the sunlight that usually helps.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/6/2005 1:12:31 PM
Author:Begood
After several months of reading all your great stories and viewing the many beautiful rings, I finally registered and was hoping to post some pictures of my ring. I am having the hardest time taking quality pictures. Can some provide some assistance on how I can take these pictures without it coming out so blurry? Thanks.
BEGOOD,
Yes as stated above you will need to use the macro setting. Is it a film camera or digital and what kind is it I might be able to help more.

When you use the marco use the zoom. If you don''t they wil come out blurry if your close. zoom out all the way and then get as close as you can before it starts to get blurry. If it is digital, test the shot first by holding down the button you take the picture with (have a blank on the name, LOLOL) ever so slightly to see if it will auto focus or not, if you get green your good to go. The macro setting will automatically turn off the flash, or should anyway.

I hope this helps some, if not let me know the brand and style and maybe I can help.

Begood

Rough_Rock
You guys are great. It is a digitial camera -- Canon PowerShot S110 Digital ELPH to be exact. I''ll give it try.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2005 1:40:24 PM
Author: Begood
You guys are great. It is a digitial camera -- Canon PowerShot S110 Digital ELPH to be exact. I''ll give it try.

i think that''s what i have..

also- i find it helps to have a solid color background. if my stone/ring is in front of detailed backdrop- then the camera wants to focus on the detailed backdrop instead of the stone/ring- EVEN when on marco setting. (oh and i think i turn off the flash and use the macro setting) so i usually get a piece of paper or cloth to put completely behind the stone/ring. black usually offers a nice contrast.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Ok,
yeah canon's are really easy to use. Your macro setting only goes to 10cm so you won't be able to get as close as some newer cameras but you should still be able to get some great shots.

Follow the instructions that I stated above and it should work for you. Also, I forgot to mention, use the manual setting (NOT auto) on the dial then select the macro setting in the menu. When you press the utton halfway the auto focus will focus where the box on the screen shows up, it should be in the center if you are just right. If you are too close it will not focus and the box might be orange colored, green if in focus and snap away.

Good luck.

Begood

Rough_Rock
Okay, I really need help. I tried following your instructions but obviously, I''m doing something wrong. As you can see, the pictures are still blurry.

IMG_1064.JPG

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Ok, yeah that is blurry.

Did you set the camera on the Manual setting via the dial?

If yes, Did you set the camera on the Macro mode?

If no, then do so by using the menu.

After you do that, move the zoom all the way out, e.g. max zoom 3x I think for your camera.

Press the button just as you would when you normnally take pictures, but let it focus first. To do this press the button half way until it beeps and a box is showing on the screen. Hold it there an move it either closer or futher until it is no longer blurry. when you move it, hold the camera still re-press the button halfway because you''ve change the focal length so it will need to refocus. If the box is green then press the button fully to take the picture.

I hope what I am writing is making sense, this is difficult to write the procedures down.

let me know how this turns out

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
I should say use max OPTICAL zoom, not digital zoom. 3x is max optical for your camera I think

Begood

Rough_Rock
Can''t seem to find or switch over to the Macro Mode..Everything else makes sense though. Thanks for being so patient with me.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
it''s the flower icon on the screen... -- that''s when u know it''s on macro.

i find it''s better not to zoom in when taking the pic. do at normal zoom setting. then, in your picture program (like PhotoShop) you can crop the picture.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
JCROW is correct it is the Flower icon. You can either zoom or not zoom.

rearcontrols-001.jpg

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Any luck?

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Begood, you haven''t given up yet have you?

Begood

Rough_Rock
you are too funny...i think you know me pretty well because i have temporarily given up. i''ve tried everything and for some reason the ring still comes out blurry at every zoom, non-zoom, macro on, macro off, on hand, off hand, etc..(you name it, i''ve done it). Everything in the background comes out except for the ring. i''m pretty sure it''s the photographer and not the camera! i''ll keep trying.
33.gif

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/6/2005 7:27:07 PM
Author: Begood
you are too funny...i think you know me pretty well because i have temporarily given up. i''ve tried everything and for some reason the ring still comes out blurry at every zoom, non-zoom, macro on, macro off, on hand, off hand, etc..(you name it, i''ve done it). Everything in the background comes out except for the ring. i''m pretty sure it''s the photographer and not the camera! i''ll keep trying.
33.gif

Bummer, I''m sorry to hear that. It is trial and error. I wish I could help you more but typing info just doesn''t cut it. Do you know anyone that is technically savvy?

Good luck and don''t give up yet.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Taking pics is a pain in the butt. For me, I have to take 100 pics for 1 that is just o.k.. Macro doesn't work for me the pictures come out to light. I have much better luck with gemstone rings, but diamond rings- forget it.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, it isn''t very difficult, but your right, out of about 30 pictures I only get about 4 or 5 really good ones. Thank God I use a digital camera!

Begood

Rough_Rock
I made a final attempt at this and it didn''t turn out... I think I will try to take pictures outside in the sunlight. I might have better luck. Thank you all for your assistance. In the meantime, I will continue to view the beautiful pieces and read all the great stories.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Well good luck, I wish I could help more.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Ditto what everybody else said...and GET a TRIPOD!
9.gif

I usually have steady hands, but my best attempts looked blurry without the tripod.

Another tip because this may be your next one: to resize a photo if you do not have Photoshop, download the Image resizer from Microsoft's website, it is free and it works wonderful! Get it here

Good luck!

Maya

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you need to change your metering setting to either centre weighted or spot metering. Then you can line up the little circle or square in the middle of the screen with the bit of the ring you want in focus.

If it''s on matrix or landscape metering, for example, it often defaults to focussing on the background. Like when you take a photo of a person in front of a landscape and the person is blurry and landscape in focus. Does that make any sense?

The descriptions of the different types of metering vary from camera to camera but you should be able to find it.

Tricky little devils, those digital cameras!

Begood

Rough_Rock
Here is one...hope it works.

IMG_1173.JPG

Begood

Rough_Rock
One last one. If you want hand pictures, I will have to practice some more. Geez, what an ordeal in just taking pictures.

IMG_1175.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey you did it, good for you!!!! Ok details please, gorgeous rings!!!!
30.gif
36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Great pictures and beautiful rings!
36.gif

Be careful, now that you''ve figured out how to take pictures, you might become obsessed with it!
21.gif

Begood

Rough_Rock
Here''s the details. I don''t have the specs on the diamond with me but can provide it later.

When my husband and I got married, we didn''t have the money to purchase a diamond. Actually, all I wanted was a simply band but he insisted that, when the time was right, he would prefer to get a 1ct from a value standpoint. So after a year of marriage and wearing a simple band (which I was completely content with), he said it was time for us to make the big purchase. Oh boy, did he open a can of worms; I was hooked and just loved and amazed as how these little suckers sparkleld.

We shopped around and found a 1.05 ct, D, VVS2 and actually bought it. I was really uncomfortable wearing it because it looked so big. Well, of course with time, there is shrinkage and the diamond suddenly didn''t look so big. :) So before our second anniversary, I told my husband that I would prefer one large gift every 5 years rather than 1 on every occasion (e.g., birthdays, Christmas, anniversary, etc.).

So on my 5th anniversary, he got me this 3.02, J, SI1. I love my ring because it reminds me everyday of the wonderful journey that we have travelled together -- through the bad and the many, many good times. Been together 8 1/2 years, 7 of those years in marriage, and so looking forward to our 10, 15, 20 (plus I get more diamonds)! Ha/Ha.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Begood,

Details. Details. Details. I LOVE that style! It is so pretty. Your photo taking needs some polishing...but your ring choice is ringht on cue! Do attempt to get us better shots. But in the meantime, width of the shank and other details are a must!

I just scrolled down to take another peak and the images are gone! Well unless I am crazy...(which hubby says there is a very strong possiblity...) I know I saw two images of rings in a key board. One band and one solitaire both a micro pave...but they are gone! Like a mirage...guess I better eat and get off PS.

Anyway Begood I loved what I think I saw! You did a "gooder".

door knob

looks like kaleigh saw them too! Whew. Not so nutts after all...well that is of course if Kaleigh is not nutts as well!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey who you calling nuts???
3.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh kaleigh, oh dear I hoped you would see that and giggle. I am so new to this thing...when you are writing a reply you are able to view the board as you write, you know in that drop down box...as soon as I was writing to compliment Begoods beautful rings the photos disappeared. I had hoped to look at them and ask her questions as I was looking. Then I thought maybe I had confused the photos with another and read your post...it appeared you too had seen the images from what you wrote. But THERE WERE NO PHOTOS. So I wasn''t alone in my....well...my nuttiness.

I hoped for the best. That I was sane...as you surely are with that gorgoeus Tiffany set and your latest new asscher...you have to be the most sane of all of us. Instead of anguishing on a upgrade...you are so wise to just go get another!! No ill intention...honest.
19.gif

I see the photos again! I still love them! Begood I really do!

Hope you still be my friend... Kaleigh...please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results