carat
color
clarity

Take 3 (or 4) on the ‘ol Asscher hunt

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad this worked out for you sounds like the magical "heart flutter moment"

Omg that diamond looks amazing in the videos!!!

Thank you both! (Hugs) I know it’s not the norm, mainstream, et al ... but it seems so perfect for me and what my eyes wanted to see, but didn’t know until I saw it. I think that’s why the other Asschers - beautiful as they may have been - just didn’t do it for me. And I couldn’t really articulate why ... until I saw this one.

I also forgot to note in my earlier post that the diamond is eye clean. The couple of tiny inclusions are totally hidden within the facets, so I don’t see them at all with my eyes even at 8-10” ... only with a loupe can I find them. So that is another concern I can cross off as having been alleviated. :dance:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome!!!! Glad you found a stone you love!!!!
I always say when you find the right stone for you, you will know it because it speaks to you!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice Videos TMT~!~!~
Karl- personally- I think that after that many years, personally, I'd question my memory for specifics. You've probably got a better memory than me, but you've learned a lot since then...plus, tastes change......just sayin':wavey:
You might have a different take if you saw such a stone today

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo - this is so freakin' cool!! Congratulations!! I totally see why you are smitten. :love: (This also has me wondering how it would translate in a more rectangular-traditional EC shape).

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wowza! :eek2: That's GORGEOUS! Soooo happy for you! Such an interesting, amazing stone! And I love, love l, LOVE it with the French cuts! :kiss2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice Videos TMT~!~!~
Karl- personally- I think that after that many years, personally, I'd question my memory for specifics. You've probably got a better memory than me, but you've learned a lot since then...plus, tastes change......just sayin':wavey:
You might have a different take if you saw such a stone today
That could be true, I might feel different looking at them today.
I'm extremely happy that it sounds like @the_mother_thing found "the one!"

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey:WOW, this is a gorgeous diamond!! :love: =)2 I love the flashes of light and different colors visible in the videos. You found a winner for sure IMO. :appl::love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @Karl_K @Rockdiamond @Heathcat24 @SandyK & @staci76 I’ve had a really crummy work day/afternoon, but I had this beauty sitting there smiling back at me through it, which brought me some much-needed joy.

I am very appreciative of all the help & guidance along this journey from PS - you all - and so many others. And I cannot say enough how much I have enjoyed working & talking with David on this acquisition. I was kind of put off by the customer service I’d had with one of the other vendors, and David made it so easy and personable, didn’t pressure me in anyway, and was very responsive to my questions & requests. I don’t anticipate I will be buying many more diamonds, as this was kind of the completion of what I’d hoped to have, but if I do, I will start with him/DBL in terms of vendors next time for sure!

And a special shout out to @Matthews1127 as well; you know why. ;)2

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo - this is so freakin' cool!! Congratulations!! I totally see why you are smitten. :love: (This also has me wondering how it would translate in a more rectangular-traditional EC shape).

There are a couple on 1st Dibs in the EC version:
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...lo-design-diamond-platinum-ring/id-j_4469441/
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...coon-cut-solitaire-diamond-ring/id-j_5812311/
https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...-diamond-white-yellow-gold-ring/id-j_2714343/

And Grace had one for sale that is on hold:
https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-64ctw-tycoon-cut-diamond-trilogy-ring-gia-g-vvs1

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I don't blame you, I'd be completely smitten too!! Gorgeous diamond.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Laila619 & @Lovesparklesparle

I took it out again this morning to see it in various light settings. Overall, walking around my home, indoors & outdoors, I’m really happy with it for the reasons noted in my post last night. My eyes really love the facet pattern and chunkiness combined with the steps and the resulting light show.

Today, my eyes picked up a bit of my own skin color in the stone, initially suggesting there was maybe more leakage than I initially perceived, but I think it’s just reflecting me via the table. The diamond has a large table and low crown, so I suppose that translates to it taking in more of its environment from every direction (including my face and fingers next to the diamond) than if it had a smaller table and more/smaller crown facets. Perhaps someone else can better explain it.

First up, indoors in semi-spotlighting in my kitchen with my AGS000 MRB. For reference, the MRB is a K color; T-cut is an F color. I’m standing over the diamonds here, and you can see my skin color reflecting in the diamond.

Next up, outdoors (cloudy day); I wasn’t standing over the diamond here, and noted that I didn’t see nearly as much of my skin color in the diamond when looking at the video, furthering my belief that most of what I see in terms of my skin color in the diamond is not ‘leakage’ but reflection; in this case, the diamond was facing the sky and my iPad:

An attempt at taking an ASET (this is a freaking impossible feat - managing the diamond, ASET scope, positioning, and the camera):
B80EB733-6D2D-4D3A-8F0D-272CA2456B93.jpeg

And the ‘set-up’ to attempt getting that ASET (yes, shot glasses! I didn’t say it was professional :lol:):
A53EB76B-B0FA-41AC-8B99-A031678D9F98.jpeg

That’s all for now. :wavey:

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Laila619 & @Lovesparklesparle

I took it out again this morning to see it in various light settings. Overall, walking around my home, indoors & outdoors, I’m really happy with it for the reasons noted in my post last night. My eyes really love the facet pattern and chunkiness combined with the steps and the resulting light show.

Today, my eyes picked up a bit of my own skin color in the stone, initially suggesting there was maybe more leakage than I initially perceived, but I think it’s just reflecting me via the table. The diamond has a large table and low crown, so I suppose that translates to it taking in more of its environment from every direction (including my face and fingers next to the diamond) than if it had a smaller table and more/smaller crown facets. Perhaps someone else can better explain it.

First up, indoors in semi-spotlighting in my kitchen with my AGS000 MRB. For reference, the MRB is a K color; T-cut is an F color. I’m standing over the diamonds here, and you can see my skin color reflecting in the diamond.

Next up, outdoors (cloudy day); I wasn’t standing over the diamond here, and noted that I didn’t see nearly as much of my skin color in the diamond when looking at the video, furthering my belief that most of what I see in terms of my skin color in the diamond is not ‘leakage’ but reflection; in this case, the diamond was facing the sky and my iPad:

An attempt at taking an ASET (this is a freaking impossible feat - managing the diamond, ASET scope, positioning, and the camera):
B80EB733-6D2D-4D3A-8F0D-272CA2456B93.jpeg

And the ‘set-up’ to attempt getting that ASET (yes, shot glasses! I didn’t say it was professional :lol:):
A53EB76B-B0FA-41AC-8B99-A031678D9F98.jpeg

That’s all for now. :wavey:
It's beautiful! To take ASET photos, I use my glass table and hold a flashlight between my legs so there is a good backlight. Then I take ASET photos on top of the glass table.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! To take ASET photos, I use my glass table and hold a flashlight between my legs so there is a good backlight. Then I take ASET photos on top of the glass table.

That sounds like a smart approach. I don’t have a glass table but may try to replicate something like that. I don’t really need to take a lot of ASET pics; usually I just use it to check a stone I have in my stash purely for self-interest. In this diamond’s case, I definitely trust David’s ASET image far more than my own since he has the whole set-up for it. But it is still fun to try/learn. :read:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love it! I think similar stones may be marketed here (UK) as ‘Ashoka’ cut (by Boodles)? I’ve always found them intriguing. From your reactions, it sounds like it’s a keeper - what are your setting plans?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I love it! I think similar stones may be marketed here (UK) as ‘Ashoka’ cut (by Boodles)? I’ve always found them intriguing. From your reactions, it sounds like it’s a keeper - what are your setting plans?

:wavey: Thank you. I do believe Ashoka and Criss-cuts have some similarities in the elongated versions. One of the great things about PS is the exposure to so many different, unique cuts.

I do have a couple of setting ideas, but will likely start a new thread for that phase of the project. I think my biggest struggle will be deciding between a modern vs. vintage feel. I’ve already begun drawing up some rough thoughts so we’ll see how they evolve.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the excellent videos!

I really like it - it looks much better than the elongated EC versions in the other listings linked to, and seems to perform nicely in all lights!

Could you get a video in multiple spotlights, to really show off the fire? :))

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny Here are two using the lights in the kitchen and iPhone light. Not sure how well these will be though because I can’t seem to get YouTube to upload HD very well (may need to change it with the little icon when this posts). ETA: Yea, my camera doesn’t pick up the light show the same way it looks in person, but hopefully you get the idea.

The first one also shows the profile view and confirms for me that I want an open gallery for seeing the fire from the pavillion. :love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, thank you!

It is so nice :love:

I think that in a tension setting would be super-cool :D

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I have to be honest, when I saw the vendor videos I wasn't blown away. Although I really appreciate step cuts, my heart doesn't lie in them (eep, please don't kill me @Matthews1127 :lol:). Although, I did get the feeling of 'mile deep' from those videos, and I do rather like squared diamonds.

However, your videos, WOW! That thing looks awesome! It reminds me of a squared, straight cut OEC that does pastels and flashes of fire and looks to be exceptionally well cut. What a great find!

I 100% second the tension setting idea.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
@OoohShiny & @Lykame Thanks much! And no worries if it’s not your ‘cup of tea’ cut. Different strokes, different folks ... it’s all good.

I’d love to see what you have in mind for tension setting examples, if you don’t mind jumping over to this thread to share your thoughts on the setting. :wavey:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-journey-for-tycoon-cut-diamond.246792/

Please don't misunderstand... It may not normally be my cup of tea but I would rather love that diamond! It looks amazing! Its light performance is delicious! :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't misunderstand... It may not normally be my cup of tea but I would rather love that diamond! It looks amazing! Its light performance is delicious! :love:

Oh no worries! I gotcha, even if I didn’t word my post right. ;)2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo... is it set yet?? :D

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness!!! I love unique cuts and colors in diamonds! This is so amazing! Can’t wait to see it set!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OoohShiny No it’s not set yet. I have been sick the last week or so and haven’t made any decisions setting wise yet. I have been doodling some drawings on the iPad but nothing concrete yet, except I am leaning toward something deco-ish. ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results