shape
carat
color
clarity

Tag along to the "could you be happy" post....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thinking of what Tgal said about the fun part of researching, getting the best deal etc..I'd still do that, even if I had money falling from the sky. I don't think I could go the other way and just spend money b/c I have it. I would all the time be thinking "Instead of spending XXXX I could spend XX and use the rest of the money to do something fun for the kids in school..or whatever. I'd rather take some little kids shopping whose parents can't afford all kinds of new thing than spend $100,000 on a new vehicle. Or thousands per night on a fancy hotel..tho maybe I'd do it one night, just to say I did..but then I'd be back to "$300/night are you kidding? That's outlandish!" for hotel rooms.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
We're living paycheck to paycheck right now, since DH is just starting a new business and we're surviving mostly on my income. If I think about it, I'm definitely happy right now - I guess the things that make me the most happy (family, nature etc), I'm still able to enjoy, even without a lot of money. The money situation does make me a bit anxious at times, though. Thankfully we've gotten by ok so far, but if we did have a emergency or something like that, I'm not sure what' we'd do - we don't really have any savings. :( Also, sometimes I look at my old clothes and shoes and feel really shabby. I try to look presentable, of course, but I wish I was able to afford some new things. I haven't done any shopping for a while. It would also be nice to be able to go into a store and buy something spontaneously...whether it's a yummy treat or jewellery or a bag, without thinking about the budget. I would also like be able to take a vacation! But other than those wants, I'm still happy and blessed- and for that, I am thankful. :))

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of winning the lottery and tithing, my aunt won someting like $30,000 on a scratch ticket a couple years ago. When she tried to tither, the church wouldn't accept her money since it was "ill-gotten."

Not looking for a big discussion, just thought of it and thought I'd share.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, somethingshiny...that's interesting. I wonder if other churches would do the same thing? Again, not trying to start a different convo, but it does make me really curious.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know exactly what I would do if I won other than buy a home. Everyone seems to have lists of wants/needs but for me, buying a house free-and-clear and having funds left to pay the taxes would be a dream for me.

A few basics would be: I would set up trust funds for the kids and I would like to set up scholarship funds for students who cannot afford college. Live off the interest and not have to worry about retirement. Also, I'd go back to school. That's about it. I don't even think I'd buy a new car. If we won, I'd want to remain as low-key as possible. My husband says he would want a house on Lake Washington (Seattle area) with a boat, dock, etc., which I wouldn't want. I'd just want to live closer to my kids' school and by friends.

I wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of diamonds. Probably buy a larger pair of studs and leave it at that.

ETA - even though I hope to keep a modest lifestyle, I do think because my husband and I have such a different idea of the dream house, we would end up with a vacation home to satisfy both of our desires. He just absolutely insists that we'd have a place where he could go out on the water. Mostly we do have the same values, but I know he'd get a few guy things like a new TV, etc., and new speakers for the computer. lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd build a cat sanctuary-- lots of research involved in this. Then I'd personally staff it and give it a generous annual budget. No kill except for comfort of animal. With a large feral area out back.

And I would donate to several of the existing cat sanctuaries around the country to help them carry out their good work.

Beyond that. Build my dream house. I have it designed already. It's 3 bedrooms plus a guest house area. Where I'd build it is anyone's guess. But it would be lovely to have some property someplace with trees and woodland. But DEFINITELY by water.

I'd try to see if I can finish any of my novels. Ditto to DH.

As for bling. Yeah, I'd indulge. A nice suite of diamonds for formal occassions. A lovely sapphire right hand ring and another ruby one. Then everyday studs of a 1 carat each (or 1.5 each ::) ) a lovely 15 carat tennis bracelet. A pear solitaire pendant. And some dangle enhancers for my studs. And bling for my mom and aunts and DH's mom.

A Lexus. I would be able to afford nicer, but that's as nice as I need.

And travel. Greece would be first on the list.

I'd put money in trusts for our nieces. Buy a restuarant for our nephew. Buy our parent's retirement homes in adult living communities of their choices. Help out DH's siblings and my aunts and uncle and cousins.

Rest in investments, stocks, etc.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
If only I played the lottery!

There's a Victorian era mansion in ruins selling for 200k in my city. Its gorgeous and has all original doors, hardware, baseboards. The downside is that the wiring, plumbing, kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring on the first floor need to be completely redone. It has been vacant for a while so its musty and full of mice. I would buy it (actually we almost did before my dad talked sense in to us) and fix it up, but make sure to keep as many of the traditional elements as possible.

DH would want a few new cars. He wants a porsche, an auddi diesel and a few older, more interesting cars.

We would travel more than we currently are. We travel now, but we would definitely do more of it if money wasn't a consideration.

I might quit my job to help DH with his consulting company so our schedules could sync. I can't picture him ever wanting to give up his company and the flexibility of working from home is fantastic. I would use my spare time to get back in to art. I used to paint and sell my work locally, but its been years and years since I've had any time for it.

Then I would give about 500k to my parents and DH's parents to do what they want with. I don't know if my sister and DH's sister would accept any money, but we would offer them a chunk. I think the best way to go about it would be to plan big family vacations and pick up the tab.

Essentially I would do what I love doing.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't buy lottery tickets because I'm a lousy loser -- same reason I have no interest in Vegas. Makes me verrrrry cranky to lose money. :evil:

I'd set up animal rescue stuff & give money for purchase of wildlife habitat & preservation of historic sites threatened by development. Also for education on the above.

Then I'd LOVE to buy antique houses & restore them, for sale w/covenants. Especially in the South there are beautiful old places endangered or left to moulder: I'd love to restore their dignity, give them back the beauty & grace their builders created. I'd buy a small one for DH & me & all our critters, with enough land to adopt a few broken-down horses & make them happy. Might establish a trust fund for my niece & nephew, to which they could have access around 40 when they're calm, have responsibilities & may want to try new opportunities.

I'd also expect my friendships to change because wealth does that. Some people pull back, maybe resentful, I don't know what...others glom onto people w/money. I have some very very wealthy relatives & have seen firsthand how difficult it is for them to know when someone really likes THEM, or their pocketbook, generous as they are to everyone.

--- Laurie

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Retire. Immediately.

Work for free when I wanted to.

Build free schools and hospitals in my home country.

Charter planes to take my extended family on holidays wherever and whenever.

Get top notch private health insurance.

Donate to cancer research. A lot.

Help my aunt divorce her husband who beats her and support her for life.

Make my father retire. Buy my parents a house.

Throw my sis and bro in laws huge weddings.

Celebrate everyone's birthday in style.

Buy my FI all the cars and motorbikes and boats he wanted.

Set up a charity trust for underprivileged children.

Fund micro loans back in the mother land.

Buy several jewels costing millions.

Track down everyone who ever helped me and pay off their mortgages.

Buy a football club.

Seriously, I could get through 100 million in about a week.

Shame I don't play the lottery :cheeky:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'd take a year travelling the world and think about it when I got back! :cheeky:

Sha

Ideal_Rock
'Oops' for my earlier post! It was posted in the wrong thread.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If I won a 'small' amount after taxes, say just a few mil, not much would change. I might find a different job, or volunteer instead. Fully funding my retirement would be my priority.

If I won BIG?
All debts of my own and family would be paid. Trust funds would be established for nieces and nephews.
We would build our dream home, which would be in the Craftsman style and full of authentic looking details.
We would take the vacations we've always wanted to take, to the places we've always wanted to see.
I would never work again, unless I truly wanted to do so. Dave could stay at work, because he loves what he does.
We would give, anonymously, to charities and causes we believed in.

We would not:
Buy expensive vehicles, boats, motor homes, or other toys.
Buy designer clothing and Liz Taylor-ish jewels.
Buy a McMansion or a real mansion.

I come from thrifty Scotch/Irish folks. Throwing away money, even if you have Oprah-type gazillions, is not possible. Way too much guilt involved. :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
This is what I'd do with the $100 mn., in the order I would do it:

1) I'd quit my job. The money I make is a key reason I chose it and without the need for money, it would no longer be so attractive.
2) I'd go on a month long vacation with DH to Australia and New Zealand.
3) Back home, I'd get in touch with asset managers and set up a money management strategy for myself.
4) As part of that, I would look to buy real estate assets in the 3 cities DH and I want to have a connection with.
5) I'd buy my parents a big gift to say thanks for everything they've given me, e.g. a luxurious, long vacation
6) I'd set up a moderate angel investment fund and start looking for tech investments
7) Once all of that is done and depending on how busy angel investing keeps me, I would either: have a baby ... or start looking for a small company for DH and I to acquire and run together. Not sure which one it would be.

A dream!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread is making me want to play the lottery :D

My day to day life would not change much. I would still be trying to get my jewelry business up and running. I would still be trying to hone my skills.

I would set myself a monthly allowance for day to day living. Not extravagant, but comfortable. I would invest enough capital to guarantee this and to have a nice cushion. I would find a house and set up a real, well equipped studio for myself. I would travel twice a year (one for educational purposes, the other for seeing new places). No fancy hotels or first class tickets, but in a leisurely, comfortable way.

I would not tell the world I had won. My father is my financial counselor, so he would know, but not the rest of the family. I would help out those I could, but in a way that they maintain their independence.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would buy a huge piece of property and set up a a small community of houses for whomever wanted to live there, friends and family with communal areas like huge pool and BBQ area, and private areas.

I would set up college funds for anyone in our family and additional ones in my childrens names that anyone could apply for that were set up to help those who had special talents like my kids, hard to explain with one finger lol

Set aside enough to retire on and our parents.

Travel a lot.

Hire a personal assistant! Lol

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We won't win since we don't buy tickets, but if 100 million fell from the sky, I would...

-give 10% to my church and it's related organizations

-probably use a significant portion to provide grants to people adopting children internationally (our third child is adopted from China)

-perhaps fund an orphanage or two somewhere in the world

-my mother had a stroke and is now in an assisted living place and I'd move her home and pay for around the clock care, a cook, etc.

-invest for retirement and my husband could retire a little early and enjoy life a little

-we have a brand new house that is plenty big, but I'd move over to a lake front house and probably let my daughter and son-in-law have this one; buy a home for our son as well (we wouldn't give them money that would allow them to stop working, but just enough to help them out.)

-college for the child still at home; college funds for future grandchildren

-we now have part ownership of a place at the beach and we'd probably buy one just for us

- a nice boat for my husband since we'd be living on the lake, and whatever Porsche he wants

-new car for me and I don't even know what I would choose!

-a cook, maid, and yard person

-jewelery fund... nothing extravagant but it would be so fun to go somewhere like Van Craeynest and just make out an order list! No one would have a clue how expensive that jewelry is!!! And I'd be using August Vintage stones in those pieces.

-random gifts to those we love...friends and family

And I guess the other 70 million or so we'd start a foundation and give to other charities that we believe in...and I could see the charity work being a fulltime job in itself.

It would be really good if these things could be done so secretly that no one knew you had the money. That would be my biggest fear that someone might kidnap our daughter or something. Add security guards to that list above!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results