shape
carat
color
clarity

Table % for Princess Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondmatt

Rough_Rock
I have found this website exceptionally informative. I am getting close to purchasing a diamond engagement ring & was hoping for some feedback on 2 questions:

1) My jeweler claims that the table % is not as important for the cut of a princess diamond. Really just the depth is important. As a result, I am looking at a diamond with a 75% table (depth is 68%). This isnt consistent with the 62-68% ideal I have seen on this site. Would you agree with his assesment?

2) I am looking at an SI1 diamond, but the inclusions are on the corner of the diamond (remember, princess cut) so they will be blocked, at least partially, by the prongs. Any thoughts on buying an SI1 where inclusions are not in the heart of the diamond?

Thanks!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi DiamondMatt! Welcome to the Forum!

Table size is definitely important on princess cuts. If you click on the Tutorial Link above you can access the cut charts. Look at the Left Hand side bar, near the bottom. There are links to the AGA Cut Charts there.

You will see that according to the Princess Cut Chart, a 78% Table is Cut Class 3A, while 68% depth is Cut Class 1A. One of the experts that post here frequently could advise you better about this particular situation. I would recommend you get Sarin information on the Crown and Pavillion angles.

As to the inclusions in the corners,..... Remember, that is where your mounting prongs will be. You don't want to get into structural integrity issues there. Are you looking at crystal inclusions, feather, needle, cloud??? Does anything "break" the surface of the diamond? If you aren't into any structural issues, I would think corner inclusions would be preferred. Like you said, they can be partially, if not completely hidden from view.
1.gif

diamondmatt

Rough_Rock
PQ, that was very helpful, thanks.

** Re: the table %, I have seen those aga charts, which is why I got concerned. I will try to get crown & pav angles - I guess they do not come on the GIA report (or I just dont see them)

** Re: the inclusions, I had not thought of the potential structural issues. The inculsions are needles and they do not break the surface. Would they present a structural risk?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Needles in the corners,..... I dunno.
confused.gif
Hopefully a *true* expert will respond.

Sarin info will be no problem at all to get. GIA runs Sarins on diamonds they Cert. GIA doesn't print the info on their Certs, but it is available. All you have to do is get the vendor (or the broker/owner of the diamond) to call GIA for the Crown and Pavillion angles. GIA will only give the info to the owner of the diamond.

Have you checked Price Stats to see where you are in price as compared to Price Scope vendors? That could be a valuable piece of info as well. I don't know if the overall Cut Class ranking sinks to the lowest spec, or if there is some sort of compromise based on all the criteria, ie, polish, symmetry, angles, and %'s. Maybe an expert will answer that question too!
1.gif

JoeB

Rough_Rock

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Joe B is right to let your eyes be the judge and not the numbers.

Unfortunately numbers dictate diamond prices. The Diamond Grading "Gods" set the standards that all diamonds are priced by. You don't want to pay more than you should for your diamond.

Structural integrity can be a problem with insurance. Check past threads. There have been comments where the insurance company did not pay for "pre-existing conditions". Sounds like HMO's have moved into the jewelry insurance biz, but it's a reality we have to live with. Be sure to check with an insurance rep on that concern.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results