shape
carat
color
clarity

T&CO .45 for 5.200$. What do you think?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, imho this is an outrageous price for a diamond ring of this ct. weight. As others have said, the IF is completely unnecessary. You could reduce that to VS1 and you would never be able to see the difference. Also, H isn't a premium color IF (as in the word "if") premium expectation and price is seen as being a white diamond. The setting is a Tiffany setting, and this is worth something. But you asked what we think. I think .45 IF H for $5,200 is a lot more than you should have to pay for a .45 ct. diamond ring, even one from Tiffany & Co. I see no excuse for them to offer you only an IF, in any size. The deal would not be acceptable to me.

BubbleGumPlant

Rough_Rock
If you're gf said, "I must absolutely have a diamond from Tiffany", then that's what you gotta get. There's no talking her out of that since anything else would be "settling" and you definitely do not want the ring to symbolize that.

If she didn't say anything in that vain, you need to find out what her priorities are. There are the 4 Cs you need to consider but ultimately you need to also consider "the NAME" and where that falls into priority.

This is my list of priorities:

1. cut and carat (they're equally important to me)
2. the name and their reputation (i.e. Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, James Allen, Good Old Gold, etc.)
3. color
4. clarity

Hope that helps! Good luck!

asdasd

Rough_Rock
Hello guys,

Thanks for your all your helpful and honest answers.

I will try to clarify some points. Size Is definitely out of the equation, she does not care if the diamond is a .30 or a 3, she keeps a very low profile (way to go If you live in some parts of Europe, unless you want to look like a russian mobster bride...). I'm 100% percent sure about this, she would be happy with any size.

Now I get the IF thing an agree with you guys, maybe I can go for a VS1 and try to lower the price that way, any way, the girls at the store make me thing It was almost impossible to find anything more than the three or four options they showed me.... Just for curiosity, how many princess cut engagement rings do you think there actually are at your T&CO local store in bigger cities like NY, LA or London?

Can you tell me about the H thing? Is that more than I want (like the IF) or is it OK?

The things that I (and she) value the most when buying anything (not only diamonds) is quality and history. I feel secure at the T&CO store I know (or at least want to know) that I will be getting a good quality stone, with more or less inclusions, but something T&CO has approved to sell and meets their standards. I definitely won't feel confident buying online and I don't really know any other brand in my country that is specialized in diamonds and, again, I won't feel confident going to a local jewelry store, I usually imagine the situation where they show me an awesome diamond and in the final moment they will change It for a worse one. I will never see the difference, thats the point! My absolutely lack of knowledge in the matter is what makes me go to T&CO and, in the process, pay overprice...

Thank you very much guys, you are helping me a lot and teaching me very valuable points about diamonds in the process!

(Oldminer, definitely I have another way of value good things in life, I appreciate a good set of glassware in a good restaurant and deinitely good linen napkins, I would almost don't care that much for the food in that situation. The thing about buying a blue box and then placing a non T&CO inside... well, thats not me...)

UK-M74

Rough_Rock
I definitely agree about going down in quality an IF is overkill for that size. I bought a ring from Tiffany's about a month ago in the UK which was their classic solitaire with a 0.7c, I, VS2 dimond and my fiancee loves it, her friends have all said it's the sparliest diamond they have ever seen. The price I paid for this (before the 17.5% UK sales tax, since I assume the price you quoted was before tax) was £3510 which at todays exchange rate comes to approx $5100 so by going down in quality (and maybe colour) you can get a bigger diamond for the same money (even from T&Co!).

asdasd

Rough_Rock
UK-M74 said:
I definitely agree about going down in quality an IF is overkill for that size. I bought a ring from Tiffany's about a month ago in the UK which was their classic solitaire with a 0.7c, I, VS2 dimond and my fiancee loves it, her friends have all said it's the sparliest diamond they have ever seen. The price I paid for this (before the 17.5% UK sales tax, since I assume the price you quoted was before tax) was £3510 which at todays exchange rate comes to approx $5100 so by going down in quality (and maybe colour) you can get a bigger diamond for the same money (even from T&Co!).

Great information! I didn't know I could lower that much the price by lowering the IF and still get a bigger stone.

The price I gave you is tax included, final price.

I'm really interested in contacting T&CO London Store to check If what they are telling me at my T&CO local store is true (that they only found three more princess cut rings in London). Do you have any email address from a sales person there?

Thanks!

UK-M74

Rough_Rock
OK, the price including tax would have been £4,200 for the ring I bought. They have a duty free shop airside at Heathrow (T5 & I think T3) so I got mine at the tax free price while I was travelling.

I was dealing with someone from customer services who was very helpful and gave me a list of all their inventory within my price range. I'd rather not give his email in a public forum but I just sent a message through the email customer service on the UK website (http://uk.tiffany.com/Customer/Request/EmailCustSvr.aspx) and he got back to me within a day, so I'd recommend sending an message giving your requirements and I'm sure you'll get all the help you will need.

One thing is I don't think that princess cuts are as popular as their round brilliant so stock may be more limited but I had a choice of a few rb rings in my price range all of different sizes and quality. They didn't have a huge display in the T5 shop but had many more under the counter and when I was in the Bond Street store a couple of weeks ago it looked like they had a large selection too.

Hope this helps.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yes you can lower price a LOT by going with VS1/2 clarity! IF diamonds are very rare and that is why they are very expensive but there is no visible difference. H color should be fine. I'd call T&CO and ask if they can bring in several in your specs/budget for you to look at, tell them you want VS or SI clarity, that should keep the price down and size up.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
asdasd said:
Hello guys,

(Oldminer, definitely I have another way of value good things in life, I appreciate a good set of glassware in a good restaurant and deinitely good linen napkins, I would almost don't care that much for the food in that situation. The thing about buying a blue box and then placing a non T&CO inside... well, thats not me...)

One never knows and I am very cautious about judging anyone without knowing them. No insult intended. The idea of getting a T&Co box would bring a smile to many a face and others might consider it trying to be dishonest. I'm sure the many helpful suggestions given will make your purchase a bit more complex, but a better one. Good Luck!!!

GiannaV

Rough_Rock
What if you buy the Diamond from a PriceScope Vendor and then set it on a T&CO ring?? It will still come in a blue box right?
I'm a fan of designer labels myself but if I can get more quality and quantity elsewhere, I would be more happy with that.

If I carrry/wear designer things, I'd like for people to notice that it's a "designer" item by its signature look. Afterall, that's what I'm pretty much paying for right (well, and quality too)? For example, a Louis Vuitton purse can be easily spotted by it's signature Damier checkered pattern. It doesn't have to say "Louis Vuitton" across the purse but the pattern is definitely recognizable.

For a Tiffany diamond alone, there's really no signature look to it, is there? If you purchase the ring alone from T&CO, at least the name is engraved on the band somewhere.

Nevertheless, your level of comfort by going w/ T&CO is more important.

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
GiannaV said:
What if you buy the Diamond from a PriceScope Vendor and then set it on a T&CO ring?? It will still come in a blue box right?
I'm a fan of designer labels myself but if I can get more quality and quantity elsewhere, I would be more happy with that.

If I carrry/wear designer things, I'd like for people to notice that it's a "designer" item by its signature look. Afterall, that's what I'm pretty much paying for right? For example, a Louis Vuitton purse can be easily spotted by it's signature Damier checkered pattern. It doesn't have to say "Louis Vuitton" across the purse but the pattern is definitely recognizable.

For a Tiffany diamond alone, there's really no signature look to it, is there? If you purchase the ring alone from T&CO, at least the name is engraved on the band somewhere.

I'm almost positive you can't purchase a Tiffany setting alone. You may be able to dig one up on Ebay or something, but Tiffany won't let you just buy the setting with a diamond in it.

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
GiannaV said:

Tiffany does not sell settings separately, so to get a Tiffany setting you have to get a Tiffany diamond.

OP--Get what you and your GF will love, but do more research to make sure you find what you really want (ie, something below IF, which is really just a ridiculous money suck). Here in Los Angeles, most of the Tiffany stores only have a few options in each size range, but are always willing to call in a few rings that might be of interest to a serious customer. Next time you visit the store, see if you can find a different sales associate to help you and see if they're less about making the immediate sale and more about customer service.

Good luck!

GiannaV

Rough_Rock
RhubarbPie said:
I'm almost positive you can't purchase a Tiffany setting alone. You may be able to dig one up on Ebay or something, but Tiffany won't let you just buy the setting with a diamond in it.

Really???? I did not know that... I remember my sister shopping at T&CO to change her setting but I don't remember them rejecting her.
Well scratch my idea then!

coco3

Rough_Rock
If your girlfriend has her heart set on a Tiffany ring and is fully aware that she is giving up a larger stone by doing so and is fine with that, then by all means go for it!! We on PS shouldn't be here to dissuade you, we should be encouraging you and helping you get the best bang for your buck at T&Co just as we would with any other vendor. If you and your gf derive pleasure from the setting as some of us derive pleasure from larger stones, more powerr to you!

I agree with others, you don't need an internally flawless (IF) stone, and you probably don't need a VVS1 or VVS2 either, I would try to find something in the VS1 or VS2 range. I notice no one has mentioned color to you, really. D is the most white and Tiffany's will not sell anything less than an I. D, E and F are considered "colorless" and G, H and I are considered "near colorless." PERSONALLY, and other people may disagree with me, but I felt like all the Tiffany diamonds I examined were up to snuff, so I wouldn't really get too bent out of shape about what color/clarity combination I was getting -- I would just maximize size for my budget if I were buying a diamond at Tiffany's. (I will say that I am NOT a very color-sensitive person, but I AM a very clarity-sensitive person, being able to spot inclusions with my naked eye that other people can only see with loupes, etc.) To familiarize yourself with the Tiffany inventory, I would suggets that you ask your local Tiffany's to show you a range of diamonds (doesn't matter the shape or size) in a variety of colors and clarities. Can you tell if they're whiter? (remember the store's lighting is designed for optimal diamond viewing!!) Can you see any inclusions? Ask to see the diamond with a loupe or a microscope? You won't see anything in the IF, but maybe in a VS2.

I'm assuming you're not in the U.S. based on your comments. Normally my local T&Co can source any other ring at any other store in the US and have it here within 72 hours, you might not have that luxury. I would suggest that you email T&Co's in neighboring countries or countries that might ship to you or where you travel frequently or could easily travel. (Or where you could travel, purchase the stone and do a de-taxe!!) Ask them to find you the largest princess cut solitaire in their inventory for $5,000. Voila! Cast the net wide, it doesn't hurt to ask. What's the worst that they say? No? Anyway, even if you are buying the stone abroad, you are still dealing with the Tiffany chain, which is trustworthy, they will hold the stone for you or ship it, etc.

Best of luck and congrats in advance!

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
That is a rediculous cost for a .45 simple setting. If I were you I would go to GOG and buy a solasfera princess. There are (2) .52 carats there. I would pick the more square one. Those are going to be better than anything tiffany can give you in a princess. The squarer .52 on GOG is only 1653. Take that throw it in a solitare setting and give it to her.

If she doesnt like it return it to GOG and spend the money on the tiffany. Id go as far as to bring the solasfera into the tiff store and watch it out sparkle theirs.

But thats just me. I cant see money go to waste like that just for a box.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you could get a bigger diamond for a T&C ring if go with ebay. there are TONS of choices there and platinum can easily be polished to look new. and some ebay T&C rings are actually new. most come with original papers/box/etc

DisneyBride828

Shiny_Rock
I'm probably the only one who sees things this way, but here goes. That is a BIG price for a SMALL stone. I understand the whole "she wants a tiffany ring" but on the other hand, you can't always get what you want! LOL...I really wanted a tacori ring, but my now husband couldn't afford the mark up. He found a gorgeous Tacori style ring, and I'm so happy with it! Sometimes you don't always get a choice in the ring you recieve...it is, after all, a gift. Just my opinion. :wavey:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
DisneyBride828 said:
That is a BIG price for a SMALL stone. I understand the whole "she wants a tiffany ring" but on the other hand, you can't always get what you want!

True. But she isn't saying that she must have a 2ct T&Co ring; she is saying she doesn't care about the size, as long as it's T&Co. If the OP has a set budget to spend, I don't see the problem with getting her what she wants, within the constraints of that budget.

DisneyBride828

Shiny_Rock
amc80 said:
DisneyBride828 said:
That is a BIG price for a SMALL stone. I understand the whole "she wants a tiffany ring" but on the other hand, you can't always get what you want!

True. But she isn't saying that she must have a 2ct T&Co ring; she is saying she doesn't care about the size, as long as it's T&Co. If the OP has a set budget to spend, I don't see the problem with getting her what she wants, within the constraints of that budget.

I didn't exactly read through the whole thread...I wasn't aware that she was o.k. with a smaller stone, if that's the case, great! I didn't say it wasn't ok with getting her what she wants, but sometimes it just isn't feasible. But, the OP also asked what we thought, and that is what i think, lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would still encourage you to perhaps make sure she knows how much the T&Co rings cost in some indirect way. I am very frugal and would be upset to know that my bf spent 2x the price he needed to spend to get me a ring (whatever the size). So even if she does not want a bigger diamond, she still might appreciate the savings on a non-branded stone. Or she may really want a T&Co no matter what! My point is: Try to gather some more information to get her what you think she wants. And then try to make an economical decision. I think H/I VS2 or even SI1 could be a lovely option if they have any available!

Also, is she set on a princess cut? You may have more options in an RB or a Lucinda.... I sort of think that the round Tiffany setting is iconic, as is the lucinda, and if you pay for T&Co I would sort of want it to be obvious that was where my ring was from! So I would get the Lucinda if it was me.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
asdasd said:
Can you tell me about the H thing? Is that more than I want (like the IF) or is it OK?

PrisceScope has a link about this:

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-color/

Basically, price goes up as color gets more white.

D (highest price)
E (second highest price)
F (third highest price etc.)
G
H
I
J
K
etc.

D, E, and F are are considered "white."

If I'm not mistaken, H is "near white."

I like H personally. Yes, I think it's fine.

It just depends on how "white" you want it to be, and whether you're willing to pay more for more "white."

BTW, I've read your posts and now I understand the reasons why you want to buy from Tiffany & Co. I get it! Still, I'd try to get something other than IF. That's a huge (huge) premium for nothing you're going to be able to see. I mean VVS2 is considered a premium clarity grade, let alone IF.

The clarity chart is:

IF
VVS1
VVS2
VS1
VS2
etc.

I'd try to get down to VS2 or VS1, maybe G VS2 or G VS1, or H VS1 or H VS2. If you tell you them you know what you're looking for, and insist on it, I think they'll show you/ get you something at a better price.

Good luck!

asdasd

Rough_Rock
Hello guys,

After following UK-M74 advice, I contacted UK's T&CO and told them my story, the man I talked to was very supportive and quickly gave me a selection of stones in the price range I had in my mind.

As you guys told me I told him to look for a lower clarity level and try to get a bigger stone and a better color. And so he gave me 6 options where the two best were a .42 F VVS1 for 4,280$ and a .55 G VS1 for 4,170$.

Following yout advice I would go for the .55, as I would like the stone to be at least a .5, and I (and she) would not notice the difference between the VVS1 and the VS1, but I still would like to know If they can find something with similar specs (qt, clarity and price) but in the "White" color group (D,E,F) without affecting the price very much.

Than you all very much for your help and your comments, I would have never been so close to buy the ring without your help.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask about VS2 clairty stones, or even SI1 if they carry them... In my opinion, as long as it is eye clean to you and her, in doing this you could
a. save money on the stone
b. bump up in color
c. bump up in carat

asdasd

Rough_Rock
VS2 is the minimum for T&CO diamonds...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think T&CO carries some SI1s now, so you could ask about that. I would go down in color to G/H/I, in that size especially color will not be as noticeable. Have you seen F vs G vs H color in person?

asdasd

Rough_Rock
slg47 said:
I think T&CO carries some SI1s now, so you could ask about that. I would go down in color to G/H/I, in that size especially color will not be as noticeable. Have you seen F vs G vs H color in person?

As of last friday, they told me VS1 was the least clarity they sell.

That was one the tests I did in my last visit to the store, try to differentiate between best and worst T&CO color options. It was not technically best and worst (D,I), but an E and an H and around .5 in size and I couldn't see any difference. That's my biggest problem, all T&CO rings look virtually the same to my unexperienced eye. As I already told before that's the reason I feel secure buying a T&CO, because in any other place I would be worried about being scammed...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you worried about an H if you couldnt tell the difference between it and an E? Really, in a well cut stone an H should
be pretty white (especaily in the .5 range).

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I understand it's not for everyone, but I've gotten two tiffany engagement rings off ebay for about half or a third of retail. You might consider that if you think the mark up is ridiculous. I took them into Tiffany and they sized them, polished them like new, and used the serial number inside to get me the appraisal. They did all this for free. You can not get a new certificate though. Here are some I found. Whatever you choose to do I don't think you need an IF stone, try to get VS1 or VS2 which is more than sufficient clarity.

If I were in your position I'd probably get the one that's a .89 with matching band. Call up tiffany with the serial number and have them confirm color and clarity, whatever it is it's fine since Tiffany sells nothing less than an I VS2 but you can price your offer accordingly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFANY-CO-ENGA...wItem&pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item414f7ebac7
http://cgi.ebay.com/TIFFANY-CO-PRIN...nd_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item45f41ccb6e
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-Diamond...wItem&pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item2eae6b0421
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffany-Co-Soli...wItem&pt=Designer_Jewelry&hash=item2a0892fe11

asdasd

Rough_Rock
tyty333 said:
Why are you worried about an H if you couldnt tell the difference between it and an E? Really, in a well cut stone an H should

One thing is not to TELL the difference and other is to KNOW the difference. I know that If it is sold by T&CO It already is a very good diamond (because they only sell the best cuts, clarities and colors) but, remember, I still want to make the most clever purchase for my budget, so If I can get a half ct in the best color group (D,E,F) and very good clarity (VS1, although It is the "worst" by T&CO standard) I will feel satisfied and feel I have acquired the proper amount of knowledge (thanks to you guys) to make a thoughtful buy.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
asdasd said:
tyty333 said:

One thing is not to TELL the difference and other is to KNOW the difference. I know that If it is sold by T&CO It already is a very good diamond (because they only sell the best cuts, clarities and colors) but, remember, I still want to make the most clever purchase for my budget, so If I can get a half ct in the best color group (D,E,F) and very good clarity (VS1, although It is the "worst" by T&CO standard) I will feel satisfied and feel I have acquired the proper amount of knowledge (thanks to you guys) to make a thoughtful buy.

I think the best buy from T&Co would be to look for G/H color and VS2 clarity. Perhaps the UK Tiffany is different than the US Tiffany, which will now sell down to SI1 clarity grade. Honestly, honestly, at that size color differences become so minimal I would urge you to consider an H/I color stone because you will be maximizing your budget but still getting the Tiffany name. That is my definition of a good value.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am admittedly a size-nut.

That said, princesses face up smaller than rounds, and a 0.5ct princess is a SMALL stone for what you're spending. No matter how you look at it.

I completely agree that in those sizes colour differences become negligible - I'd go for the H/I VS2 and not a whit higher, and try to eke out as many tenths of a mm as possible - even 0.2mm extra makes a big difference in the diamond's appearance. A larger diamond will afford you a little bold flash, and sparkle IMO makes the biggest difference in how the diamond looks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results