shape
carat
color
clarity

switch to 4 prongs for .5 carat RB?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmarie

Rough_Rock
Recently I''ve been thinking about changing the prongs on my RB ering from 6 to 4...eventually I''d like to do a center stone upgrade (for size) but I have to wait 5+ years for that, so in the meantime I am interested in making my current stone look as big as possible.

I''ve read a few of the "6 prongs vs. 4" threads on PS, and I''m familiar with the usual pros and cons of each look -- I''m just interested in what your thoughts are for this particular size stone. Basically, I want more of the stone to show (because I think the stone itself is gorgeous, just a little small) and don''t mind a more squarish look as a result of having 4 prongs.

Here are a few pics of what I have currently. Sorry if they look orange -- this is the best I was able to do.

What do you think, should I change to 4 prongs or leave it as is?

ringtop118.jpg

cmarie

Rough_Rock
another view

ringfront118.jpg

cmarie

Rough_Rock
side view

ringside118.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i actually think it''s quite well proportioned as it is. the prongs are inobstrusive, the height is low and comfy. I like it as it is.

cmarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie N! I am considering keeping it as is also...

Here''s a clearer, less blurry one from above.

ringtopclear118.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 11:30:40 PM
Author:cmarie
Recently I''ve been thinking about changing the prongs on my RB ering from 6 to 4...eventually I''d like to do a center stone upgrade (for size) but I have to wait 5+ years for that, so in the meantime I am interested in making my current stone look as big as possible.

I''ve read a few of the ''6 prongs vs. 4'' threads on PS, and I''m familiar with the usual pros and cons of each look -- I''m just interested in what your thoughts are for this particular size stone. Basically, I want more of the stone to show (because I think the stone itself is gorgeous, just a little small) and don''t mind a more squarish look as a result of having 4 prongs.

Here are a few pics of what I have currently. Sorry if they look orange -- this is the best I was able to do.

What do you think, should I change to 4 prongs or leave it as is?
I''d leave it as it is. You have a beautiful head for your stone, looks great. I think the rounder look of 6 prongs does make the stone look bigger than four prongs would. Not that much more of the stone will show through with 4 prongs. A larger stone is what would really help, so better to save your money and put it towards the bigger stone that is in your future.

BTW, a half carat diamond is a great size. I wore a 0.21 ct for twelve years, and yes, that was a small, (but very sparkly!), diamond. Enjoy wearing your beautiful wedding set.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks perfect as is.

Here's my guaranteed cure for Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome:

Get a ring with a center stone substantially smaller than your diamond. Best if it's another diamond, but it can be anything, really--a CZ, a colored stone, etc. Put your engagement ring away for a week and wear the ring with the smaller center stone all week. No peeking! When the week is over, retrieve your diamond ring and put it on. See how big it looks?

Repeat as necessary.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I say leave it, I think it looks great as is. But you could go have a look at diamonds set in four prongs just for fun to be sure.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I love my 4 prong setting but I think yours looks great just as it is.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that I like it as is
1.gif
Beautiful ring!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others, keep your lovely ring intact. Save your money so that you can upgrade sooner!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it now too.

cmarie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice and compliments, everyone! You have basically changed my mind (and saved my money!). Instead of changing the prongs, I''ll save for a future upgrade, or maybe a RHR!
26.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Be sure to post when you do!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results