carat
color
clarity

SW OTK boots

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling @missy

I know you love SW boots and I am thinking of getting a pair but I am concerned they may be too tall for me. I am only 5'2" but I have long legs/short torso. I wear regular length pants and jeans. I want low heel, black suede. Which style do you recommend? I want to order online and avoid physical shopping, lol. Thanks!!!

ETA do they run large? I read that in several reviews.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling @missy

I know you love SW boots and I am thinking of getting a pair but I am concerned they may be too tall for me. I am only 5'2" but I have long legs/short torso. I wear regular length pants and jeans. I want low heel, black suede. Which style do you recommend? I want to order online and avoid physical shopping, lol. Thanks!!!

ETA do they run large? I read that in several reviews.

Hi @Gussie and woohoo welcome to the SW OTK club! You will love them. OK so I think the Reserve boots would be good for you but without trying them on in person I cannot say for sure. You can return them at no charge I believe though. I am 5'6" and have long legs short torso also and the Reserve go just over the knee so on you they will probably go just a few inches above that which should still be good. And of course there's the iconic 50/50 but I believe it's a little bit higher over the knee despite what the measurements are listed as.

As for running large yes they do run slightly large but I still order my 9.5 size and I put inserts in if necessary. Some styles need it and some don't. I would order your regular size but again without trying on in person it is taking a chance albeit a low risk.

Good luck and if you have any questions I am happy to help. I love my OTK boots by SW and (as you probably know) have them in almost every style (the flat OTK styles) and color. I hope you love them too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s a photo of the Reserve on me in black suede. Figure it will go a few inches higher over your knee.

4C4F2C47-FAE7-40B6-A76F-B966B5326D07.jpeg

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks so much!! I will let you know what I think. I may order both 5050 and Reserve to try out. Excited!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks so much!! I will let you know what I think. I may order both 5050 and Reserve to try out. Excited!

I am excited for you! I also love the Lowland boot and wonder if it would/could work for you? It reaches the thigh on me so it would be a bit higher on your thigh but it might look great. It's such a smart looking boot. With leggings, with shorter dresses, with jeans even. It's flat (super low heel) and just very sophisticated looking IMO. I wish you could get to the store. There are so many gorgeous styles. I am here if you need me and please keep me posted!

FYI Lowland on me so you can get an idea how it might look on you. My inseam is 31.5 inches if that helps.

lowlandboots.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always like them when I see them but I worry my legs are too fat. I'm petite (5'3" 120 lbs, 27 waist size in jeans) but I tend more toward the "thunder thigh" side of things from years of athletics than the "long and lean legs" side of things, and my calves often don't fit into boots. The 5050 look like they might work though... I do have a SW store near me. I wish they had some in grey because my grey suede boots split on top of the foot somehow and can't be repaired so I need a new pair.

I love these, they remind me of the embroidered Gucci loafers I have:

@missy you look so glamorous and so much like a model in every picture I've ever seen of you! Look at those long legs and that hair!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my 5050s! I have average-sized fairly muscular calves, and average length legs for my height (5'2"). They do run a tad wide in the toe box, which works great for my troll feet, but they're not so wide that they'd look odd on anyone with slimmer feet.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @distracts I don’t think you could have bigger thighs than mine. @missy got me into OTK boots and I love them, and I think I’m older than all of you, so go for it.

A29B8111-4FAD-456F-BD9A-3C69D9307D40.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always like them when I see them but I worry my legs are too fat. I'm petite (5'3" 120 lbs, 27 waist size in jeans) but I tend more toward the "thunder thigh" side of things from years of athletics than the "long and lean legs" side of things, and my calves often don't fit into boots. The 5050 look like they might work though... I do have a SW store near me. I wish they had some in grey because my grey suede boots split on top of the foot somehow and can't be repaired so I need a new pair.

I love these, they remind me of the embroidered Gucci loafers I have:

@missy you look so glamorous and so much like a model in every picture I've ever seen of you! Look at those long legs and that hair!

I think you would rock those boots @distracts. The heel is too much for this Klutz but I think they are gorgeous boots. And as for the 5050 I think you need to try them on. They fit all size calves. Muscular, skinny and in between. That's the beauty of them.

And thanks for your lovely compliment.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @distracts I don’t think you could have bigger thighs than mine. @missy got me into OTK boots and I love them, and I think I’m older than all of you, so go for it.

A29B8111-4FAD-456F-BD9A-3C69D9307D40.jpeg

You rock these @Austina and I am thrilled to be the one who got you wearing them. You were meant to wear OTK boots. You look beautiful in them. :kiss:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my 5050s! I have average-sized fairly muscular calves, and average length legs for my height (5'2"). They do run a tad wide in the toe box, which works great for my troll feet, but they're not so wide that they'd look odd on anyone with slimmer feet.

@KristyDarling I agree. It does depend on the style however. The 50/50 has a rounder toe box so one could go down half a size if one likes a snug fit. I like a bit of room so I kept it in my normal size. But some of their styles have pointed toe boxes and in those I wouldn't even think about going down half a size or more.

I am glad there is another SW OTK boot fan here. They are the bomb. Do the kids still say that word? ;-)

One of my favorite styles is no longer being made though you can find them in some stores still. The Renegade. I love those and have it in grey and black. Might be worth looking for if you hit the department stores and online too.

renegade.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha while looking through photos for you I found this photo of Greg patiently waiting for me as I tried on SW boots. LOL. Ever the good DH.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 5.20.41 AM.png

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I cannot wait to get mine! I ordered a pair folks and the fit wasn't quite right for me, so soon I will go to the store to be fitted. I'm looking forward to being able to wear a dress with no tights, unless its freezing, when wearing a dress and of coarse with leggings too. Missy is the boot expert!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot wait to get mine! I ordered a pair folks and the fit wasn't quite right for me, so soon I will go to the store to be fitted. I'm looking forward to being able to wear a dress with no tights, unless its freezing, when wearing a dress and of coarse with leggings too. Missy is the boot expert!

I am so excited for you @bling_dream19 and I know you are going to find just the perfect pair for you and it will look amazing.:appl:

I am not a boot expert so much as a boot lover. It's one of the only good things about colder weather haha. Though I have been known to wear my SW boots when the temps are in the 70s F. :sun:I don't let a little thing like warmer temps stop me.:bigsmile:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to Saks off 5th yesterday and tried on a few pairs they had. I really liked all of them except the zippered ones that were all suede and not stretchy. But all of them had a suede or leather covered heel which I don't like. I ordered the 5050 boot because of the shorter heel and I did go down a half size. So I'm glad I tried them on for fit. They will arrive tomorrow (yay for zappos!). So excited!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hahaha while looking through photos for you I found this photo of Greg patiently waiting for me as I tried on SW boots. LOL. Ever the good DH.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 5.20.41 AM.png

Watching me try on over the knee boots was one of the few shopping trips my husband seemed to enjoy. He tried to talk me into buying them for days. I doubt Greg felt tortured watching you try them on LOL. They look great on you.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you've convinced me! I'll hit the mall this week... gotta get started on Christmas shopping anyway! I'm glad to hear the 5050 have roomy toes because I like wearing thick THICK wool socks in winter and often go up a full shoe size in boots so I can fit my fat socks in, lol. Oh if they have some at Saks Off 5th I can check there too since I have to return something.

I am not a boot expert so much as a boot lover. It's one of the only good things about colder weather haha. Though I have been known to wear my SW boots when the temps are in the 70s F. :sun:I don't let a little thing like warmer temps stop me.:bigsmile:

Since I'm in Texas, 70s IS colder weather for me, lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you've convinced me! I'll hit the mall this week... gotta get started on Christmas shopping anyway! I'm glad to hear the 5050 have roomy toes because I like wearing thick THICK wool socks in winter and often go up a full shoe size in boots so I can fit my fat socks in, lol. Oh if they have some at Saks Off 5th I can check there too since I have to return something.

Since I'm in Texas, 70s IS colder weather for me, lol

So excited for you!!! And yes Saks off fifth does have a few if you get lucky. Not the 50/50 but other styles occasionally!

Keep us posted ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to Saks off 5th yesterday and tried on a few pairs they had. I really liked all of them except the zippered ones that were all suede and not stretchy. But all of them had a suede or leather covered heel which I don't like. I ordered the 5050 boot because of the shorter heel and I did go down a half size. So I'm glad I tried them on for fit. They will arrive tomorrow (yay for zappos!). So excited!!

Yay!!! Super excited for you. I know you are going to love ❤️ them!

Also consider the different colors in the 50/50. I wear them all the time. Blue, burgundy, brown, grey, taupe. Love the colors.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Watching me try on over the knee boots was one of the few shopping trips my husband seemed to enjoy. He tried to talk me into buying them for days. I doubt Greg felt tortured watching you try them on LOL. They look great on you.

Thanks Callie. I’m glad J enjoys your boot trying on. I don’t think Greg does but he’s a wonderful dh and knows I like his opinions. I used to prefer shopping by myself but now he’s spoiled me lol.

The burgundy boots for @distracts and @Gussie
These are my second favorites right behind the blue suede 5050

27091D0B-0DF9-4536-ACE5-871043BA2640.png

The blue suede

44B04640-A0FA-4473-AAE8-4BE921C421F8.jpeg

Edit: you can’t see the blue on screen but believe me they show irl

If you decide you love the 5050 boots definitely consider getting one of the colors. I wear them more than the black leather and black suede boots!

Last edited:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I am becoming interested now!
If I may ask, do these end up stretching after a season of wear? I bought some boots from Nordstrom a few of years ago (not this brand) and after one season of not daily wear I noticed they slouched some. Are these resistant towards that or would I expect this to happen with all boots?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am becoming interested now!
If I may ask, do these end up stretching after a season of wear? I bought some boots from Nordstrom a few of years ago (not this brand) and after one season of not daily wear I noticed they slouched some. Are these resistant towards that or would I expect this to happen with all boots?

Hi @JrJ I wear my boots all the time from October through May often and I’d say they hold up pretty well.

Though I have to replace heels every year or so but I’m hard on my shoes. I think most people wouldn’t have to replace as often. Luckily I have a good cobbler. As for stretching a little bit happens each year but nothing dramatic but I do have thin calves so that may play a role as well.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Hi @JrJ I wear my boots all the time from October through May often and I’d say they hold up pretty well.

Though I have to replace heels every year or so but I’m hard on my shoes. I think most people wouldn’t have to replace as often. Luckily I have a good cobbler. As for stretching a little bit happens each year but nothing dramatic but I do have thin calves so that may play a role as well.
I have very thin calves too and so when they stretch they become very sloppy looking on me.
Thank you, Missy.
Anyone else know about boots that stretch out and what to do about it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have very thin calves too and so when they stretch they become very sloppy looking on me.
Thank you, Missy.
Anyone else know about boots that stretch out and what to do about it?

I had some boots taken in by my cobbler a number of years ago. It looks great. Not my SW boots as they didn’t need it.

Another good site for boots that are custom is Duo. I haven’t bought from them for years but they’re great. They make them to order and fit perfectly. I have a good number of boots from them too.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I had some boots taken in by my cobbler a number of years ago. It looks great. Not my SW boots as they didn’t need it.

Another good site for boots that are custom is Duo. I haven’t bought from them for years but they’re great. They make them to order and fit perfectly. I have a good number of boots from them too.
Thank you, Missy.
One more thing. I just realized the stretching may be from them getting wet when lightly raining. Do you avoid wearing these in the rain at all costs or no?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Missy.
One more thing. I just realized the stretching may be from them getting wet when lightly raining. Do you avoid wearing these in the rain at all costs or no?

I wear them. We treat them with a special seal and as long as I’m not soaking them for a long time in the rain they hold up just fine. And when I get home I dry them thoroughly.

If it’s a really wet and windy day i wear my waterproof boots. I have a few otk waterproof. One is La Canadienne and the other is Cole I have a few others but can’t remember the brands.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JrJ sorry I didn't fully answer as we were cycling and the sun was in my eyes and I cannot see up close with my sunglasses on easily anyway. LOL. But just got home and wanted to add I use an old pair of 5050 for inclement weather so just in case it gets beat up it's OK as they are pretty old. They are not as good as the newer years so yeah they age but again I am super hard on all my shoes. So that plays a big role I think.

The DUO site has quality boots and I used to love ordering their boots.The only reason I stopped is that all the styles I have of my SW boots are just my faves. But the DUO boots are really great quality. They are a UK based company but shipping was always fast.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy!!! Thanks for the link to duo boots! Just what I needed.
I quite like JCrew Sadie otk boots and was at SW last weekend, but I've been looking for a classic black riding boot for ages. I have slim ankles and calves, want a round toe, very small heel and nubuck. No line on the foot parts. Haven't found anything for years. Even had some (very) expensive boots altered to fit better with mediocre results. Now I'm ordering a Feltham and another design, if I can make up my mind which one I want !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy!!! Thanks for the link to duo boots! Just what I needed.
I quite like JCrew Sadie otk boots and was at SW last weekend, but I've been looking for a classic black riding boot for ages. I have slim ankles and calves, want a round toe, very small heel and nubuck. No line on the foot parts. Haven't found anything for years. Even had some (very) expensive boots altered to fit better with mediocre results. Now I'm ordering a Feltham and another design, if I can make up my mind which one I want !

You are so welcome! I hope they prove to be just what you wanted. I really love their boots and own many pairs. I just haven't ordered from them for years since I found SW boots but their quality is top notch. Or at least was. Fingers crossed they still make high quality boots. The price point is excellent for custom quality boots. Heck it's a great price for non custom quality boots. Please let us know what you think if you get boots from them.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the boots! I must have the weirdest body. They are just barely above the knee! They don't seem as high as your 5050s @missy. I checked the box and numbers inside and they are labeled 5050 but they aren't as tall as I expected. Remember I'm only 5'2" but long legs for my height.

I do like them though. Very soft, streamlined. I will snap a pic later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results