clarity

Surface Graining? Or something else?

unicornT

Rough_Rock

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
The diamond is VS2, H color, and the GIA report does not mention these inclusion (not in the comments either).

It might be something nearly transparent the camera's fixed focal depth is 'seeing' better than the grader did at 10X - which lends itself to @Rhino's comment regarding environment.

I've also been able to 'dispel' graining by asking the videographer for a do-over: Fun fact... Sometimes an accidental camera operator's fingerprint looks like graining.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the report. Nothing about the graining. Depth is also a bit high but HCA score is excellent (1.9)

1617756462548.png

Th graining is not considered the grade maker given the fact GIA did not mention it.
So good to go on that matter.

An aside - GIA very often miss graining - as JP mentioned - way too often in my view.
I have seen many Flawless and IF diamonds with graining that they would never have called Flawless had they picked it up. They probably should use modern videos as part of their grading.
Here is one I found with very little effort:

unicornT

Rough_Rock
Th graining is not considered the grade maker given the fact GIA did not mention it.
So good to go on that matter.

An aside - GIA very often miss graining - as JP mentioned - way too often in my view.
I have seen many Flawless and IF diamonds with graining that they would never have called Flawless had they picked it up. They probably should use modern videos as part of their grading.
Here is one I found with very little effort:

That's insightful. Thank you Garry!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results