shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal Diamond - Help please

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am seeking a super ideal cut diamond and found one that I think is pretty close.

Here are the specs:

E VVS2 4.01 carat GIA triple Ex
Faint Fluorescence
Depth % 61.8%
Table % 58.0%
Crown Angle 35%
Pavilion: 40.8
Price $102,500
GIA comments that additional clouds not shown however since the clarity is VVS2 I am not too concerned.

I am not able to get an ideal scope before purchasing but the HCA score is 1.7 and the diamond is returnable.

Considering the fact that I would like a diamond close to super ideal - AGS 000 I am most concerned about the larger table at 58% and the faint fluorescence.

I would greatly appreciate all of your feedback on the specs of this diamond and how far away it might be from a super ideal / hearts and arrows type of diamond.

Also, With the Pandemic, diamond prices have dropped so I think this is an excellent price?

Thanks so much in advance!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any face up photo?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I do not think you need to be concerned with the faint fluorescence based on my experience. As for the table, my personal preference is for smaller tables and a smaller table reflection, but in the context of such a large stone it may not be unfavorable, visually. With regard to performance, I cannot comment on the 58 versus something smaller.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll try to attatch

1598672993020.jpeg

I do not see any red flag so far.
It appears that light return is good under the table.
Around the edges, it is hard to tell, but I do not see significant painting or digging.
Nearly all arrows appear black. (You do not necessarily want all dark arrows in BN video).
I particularly look for any wonky pavilion. And yours does not have any.

Example of wonky pavilion. Although it is 56/34.5/40.8, there are alot of problems with this one.
wonky.png

These are what I can tell from the image. For a stone with such high carat weight, color and clarity grades from virtual inventory, I think it is A+.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your analysis flyingpig!! You have given me some peace of mind.

Do you have any concern about the 58% table (I would prefer 56%) or the arrows/arrow heads not being very sharp?

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
I do not think you need to be concerned with the faint fluorescence based on my experience. As for the table, my personal preference is for smaller tables and a smaller table reflection, but in the context of such a large stone it may not be unfavorable, visually. With regard to performance, I cannot comment on the 58 versus something smaller.

Thanks Headlight! I am most concerned about 58 table as well. Flyingpig gave the diamond an A+ so that eases my mind a bit.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Around the edges, it is hard to tell, but I do not see significant painting or digging.
Nearly all arrows appear black. (You do not necessarily want all dark arrows in BN video).

Example of wonky pavilion. Although it is 56/34.5/40.8, there are alot of problems with this one.
wonky.png

These are what I can tell from the image. For a stone with such high carat weight, color and clarity grades from virtual inventory, I think it is A+.

Thank you so much for your analysis flyingpig!! You have given me some peace of mind.

Do you have any concern about the 58% table (I would prefer 56%) or the arrows/arrow heads not being very sharp?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Headlight! I am most concerned about 58 table as well. Flyingpig gave the diamond an A+ so that eases my mind a bit.

Important note.
I am trying to extract as much information as possible from the photo because BN does not provide the ASET or IS image. As you know, you need the ASET or IS image to assess light performance accurately.

I gave it A+ because there are not that many 4.01c+ E+ VVS+ on the market. There are only 26 on James Allen. Diamonds with such high carat, high color/clarity grades are often poorly cut. This diamond definitely trumps nearly all of them. Ideal proportions and no wonky pavilion: these two alone make the diamond rare in this carat range.

What I cannot tell you is how far off or close this diamond is to Super Ideal. What I can tell you is that it is at least Tiffany quality, top GIA Ex and one of the best cut 4.01c E VVS from virtual inventory.

Regarding 58TB, the diamond looks good. And how picky can you get when shopping for a 4.0+ E+ VVS+. There are only 26 on JA and 29 on BN.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC @Garry H (Cut Nut) has previously posted his views on how 'recommended maximum' table sizes should change with weight - but I can't remember what they were now... :???: lol

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
Important note.
I am trying to extract as much information as possible from the photo because BN does not provide the ASET or IS image. As you know, you need the ASET or IS image to assess light performance accurately.

I gave it A+ because there are not that many 4.01c+ E+ VVS+ on the market. There are only 26 on James Allen. Diamonds with such high carat, high color/clarity grades are often poorly cut. This diamond definitely trumps nearly all of them. Ideal proportions and no wonky pavilion: these two alone make the diamond rare in this carat range.

What I cannot tell you is how far off or close this diamond is to Super Ideal. What I can tell you is that it is at least Tiffany quality, top GIA Ex and one of the best cut 4.01c E VVS from virtual inventory.

Regarding 58TB, the diamond looks good. And how picky can you get when shopping for a 4.0+ E+ VVS+. There are only 26 on JA and 29 on BN.

Very true! I know that in that high carat range I cannot be as picky. I would have a diamond cut to specific measurements by Whiteflash or Brian Gavin but that route would be significantly more money so just trying to get as close as possible to hearts and arrows standards without having the stone custom cut.

Thank you so much for your opinion! I will definitely be taking the diamond to someone who will do the scopes, etc,.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
IIRC @Garry H (Cut Nut) has previously posted his views on how 'recommended maximum' table sizes should change with weight - but I can't remember what they were now... :???: lol

Thanks OoohShiny! That would be interesting to read. Hopefully he will see this post and add to the conversation.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Have you taken a look at this one? It's currently being crafted, which means if it comes back at a higher color, you don't pay the difference, and it it comes back lower, you can renegotiate. The lifetime buyback/upgrade policy, along with their sheer perfection, make CBI's the creme de la creme.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock

wonky.png

Hi flyingpig, would you also be able to give me your opinion on the following ASET and Idealscope images of a different diamond? I appreciate your help!

7411A8BB-B690-4EB0-AA6C-07306ABED727.jpeg 2EF2E5AD-4092-4D5E-A185-D3E2F80E5CEF.jpeg 62A2065C-B244-49D2-BC72-8530E818EDE0.jpeg 72B31414-9AB5-470B-A118-D5F15DFAD2C3.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi flyingpig, would you also be able to give me your opinion on the following ASET and Idealscope images of a different diamond? I appreciate your help!

7411A8BB-B690-4EB0-AA6C-07306ABED727.jpeg 2EF2E5AD-4092-4D5E-A185-D3E2F80E5CEF.jpeg 62A2065C-B244-49D2-BC72-8530E818EDE0.jpeg 72B31414-9AB5-470B-A118-D5F15DFAD2C3.jpeg
No leakage, no wonky pavilion.
Any imperfection you see (uneven arrows, greens under the table and around the edges) is partially because the diamond tilted and/or the ASET scope is nor aligned properly.

We are still talking 4 ct range? If so, 10/10.

parsonsjnyc

Rough_Rock
No leakage, no wonky pavilion.
Any imperfection you see (uneven arrows, greens under the table and around the edges) is partially because the diamond tilted and/or the ASET scope is nor aligned properly.

We are still talking 4 ct range? If so, 10/10.

Thanks so much! This one is a 4.51 carat. It is marked as a hearts and arrows diamond but I do not think so since the arrows are not super crisp. What are your thoughts?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What is the table % on that? The reflection looks as though it is a larger table....

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much! This one is a 4.51 carat. It is marked as a hearts and arrows diamond but I do not think so since the arrows are not super crisp. What are your thoughts?

The ASET is poorly taken. That is a partial reason why the arrows appear not uniform in size and shape.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results