shape
carat
color
clarity

Super Ideal Cut I Color?

confusedshopper1

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - my boyfriend and I are currently looking at engagement rings and were debating between getting a smaller H color diamond vs a slightly bigger I color diamond, both super ideal cuts. We're both not color sensitive but I do work in an office where I heard it might be easier to see the yellow tone for diamonds since there will be less light reflection. To those with I color diamonds, would you say you're able to notice the warmer yellow tone? We're hoping to maximize the carat size while keeping the other C's at a minimum level that's noticeable with the naked eye. We have tried to do some research but there are a lot of mixed opinions online so wanted to ask for any advice!

Thanks in advance! :)

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
Nope, I don't notice warmth or any tone at all regardless of light setting. I'm a novice, but even on PS, I feel like I can only see color when people show the side view of the stone, and no one looks at their ring like that on the regular. I also knew 14k rose gold was the metal of choice for me so going down to that color was likely to be fine in theory (and it was). I don't have higher color diamonds to compare to so sorry I'm limited in that aspect.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What lab graded the diamonds? Who labeled them as “super ideal”? How large are the diamonds?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
For me, H is the limit before you will definitely see tint. I tend to feel a little differently than @alltheflorals with regard to the side view, as the wearer sees the side view all the time (but maybe that's just me). Anyhow, my other diamond (NOT the one in my avatar) is a Brian Gavin Signature in an H color and I can see warmth to it, but I am color-sensitive. It is also a larger stone, 2.31 ct, and "spready" at that, 8.59mm, so the larger the stone the more warmth you will see.

alltheflorals

Rough_Rock
For me, H is the limit before you will definitely see tint. I tend to feel a little differently than @alltheflorals with regard to the side view, as the wearer sees the side view all the time (but maybe that's just me). Anyhow, my other diamond (NOT the one in my avatar) is a Brian Gavin Signature in an H color and I can see warmth to it, but I am color-sensitive. It is also a larger stone, 2.31 ct, and "spready" at that, 8.59mm, so the larger the stone the more warmth you will see.

Hopefully I did not offend! Mine is 0.8 ct w/ a halo style that covers a lot so I only examine the side when I want to see how much gunk has built up and how dire a cleaning is :oops2:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully I did not offend! Mine is 0.8 ct w/ a halo style that covers a lot so I only examine the side when I want to see how much gunk has built up and how dire a cleaning is :oops2:

Not at all! Yes, I can see how a halo would cover the side, good point.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I've had F, G, H, J and right now i have an I. I am not particularly color sensitive, unless a much higher color is next to my I. That being said, I have a solitaire, and most of the time I wear a plain band. I find that with this combo, i can deal with a much lower color. I have 2 diamond bands and 1 was custom made with stones of the same color, so its a great match. I would totally get another I now that I figured out what makes it tolerable for me!
PS. I never see yellow in my I, but it does seem to pick up warmth in certain lighting, mostly in my bathroom that has very yellow lighting. Good luck, im sure it will ne lovely, whichever one you choose! :)

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I’ve had an H, G, and then now an I. If it’s indeed ideal cut, all you would see is sparkle and the color difference doesn’t stand out as much. I thought I would notice the G and I switch a lot more especially since I went from 1.98G to 2.58I - but I barely see a difference (due to the fact that it’s a Whiteflash ACA diamond which is always ideal cut)!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very good cutting Is and Js on their own are white to my untrained eyes even when set in white gold or platinum.

I would only notice the tint when they are pitched against my E colour EC.

DK :))

confusedshopper1

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses everyone! We are currently committed to an I but are under a 90-day payment plan so we were wondering if we should ask if we can trade for a higher colored diamond since we're early on in the 90 days. The diamond is graded I color by AGS and is a Whiteflash ACA and is ~1.6ct.

This is the diamond we have asked for:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4219823.htm

We were also provided the following picture for the face down view. Our diamond consultant did mention it's a solid I so we do feel better about it :)

I VS2.PNG

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seeing tint ant being bothered by it are two different things. Some people really prefer the "warm" tints in the I/J/K grades to the brighter whites of the colorless range. I bought an OEC .8ct diamond in 1993 that was graded I color by a competent local jeweler. I owned and enjoyed that diamond for over a decade and never saw any hine of tint in it at all, until PS taught me how to see the ivory tint in it. :bigsmile: Once seen, I can't ever unsee it now. It's light candlelight ivory but I still like it. I have diamonds ranging from AGS 000 F down to an uncerted Brian Gavin recut that is definitely a pale yellow L or M. And I like them all. I is the grade where most people can start to see tint. It's your call. You don't need to be ashamed of having a tinted diamond, though. Diamond comes in many colors. 1.6ct is a nice size, and I don't think I'd trade for a smaller H, personally.

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
I’ve had an H, G, and then now an I. If it’s indeed ideal cut, all you would see is sparkle and the color difference doesn’t stand out as much. I thought I would notice the G and I switch a lot more especially since I went from 1.98G to 2.58I - but I barely see a difference (due to the fact that it’s a Whiteflash ACA diamond which is always ideal cut)!

Is the ring in your avatar the I?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the responses everyone! We are currently committed to an I but are under a 90-day payment plan so we were wondering if we should ask if we can trade for a higher colored diamond since we're early on in the 90 days. The diamond is graded I color by AGS and is a Whiteflash ACA and is ~1.6ct.

This is the diamond we have asked for:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4219823.htm

We were also provided the following picture for the face down view. Our diamond consultant did mention it's a solid I so we do feel better about it :)

I VS2.PNG

absolutely stunning! i have an HPD super ideal 1.65 carat I, and i think it's VERY white from all angles(even in white gold). no sense in paying more for something you won't be able to tell a difference on. from what i've read, the average person usually does not detect a color difference of one grade with the naked eye--- even if side by side.

confusedshopper1

Rough_Rock
Seeing tint ant being bothered by it are two different things. Some people really prefer the "warm" tints in the I/J/K grades to the brighter whites of the colorless range. I bought an OEC .8ct diamond in 1993 that was graded I color by a competent local jeweler. I owned and enjoyed that diamond for over a decade and never saw any hine of tint in it at all, until PS taught me how to see the ivory tint in it. :bigsmile: Once seen, I can't ever unsee it now. It's light candlelight ivory but I still like it. I have diamonds ranging from AGS 000 F down to an uncerted Brian Gavin recut that is definitely a pale yellow L or M. And I like them all. I is the grade where most people can start to see tint. It's your call. You don't need to be ashamed of having a tinted diamond, though. Diamond comes in many colors. 1.6ct is a nice size, and I don't think I'd trade for a smaller H, personally.

Would you say the "light candlelight ivory" is something you could see in all different lighting environments or just particular ones?

absolutely stunning! i have an HPD super ideal 1.65 carat I, and i think it's VERY white from all angles(even in white gold). no sense in paying more for something you won't be able to tell a difference on. from what i've read, the average person usually does not detect a color difference of one grade with the naked eye--- even if side by side.

Thanks for the feedback! I think we will go with the I just given we're both not very color sensitive anyway and like you said, doesn't make too much sense to pay more for such a subtle difference.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I had a J colored super ideal stone for many years, and the tint in it bothered me. So, when I got the opportunity to upgrade the stone to a higher color, I took it. I wanted an H stone, but an I with my specifications came along first, so I went with the I stone. I have to tell you, this I is so white that I rarely ever see a tint, and I have zero regrets that I didn’t get an H. If you’re not color sensitive, I’m pretty sure an I will be white enough for you.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you say the "light candlelight ivory" is something you could see in all different lighting environments or just particular ones?
Well, i can definitely see the ivory from the side in nearly all types of light. My OEC has strong blue fluorescence, and in any place where there is UV light, the face-up is completely white. When there's no UV light, the face-up is what I'd call white. Even my recut L/M diamond faces up nearly white in most lighting, and a pleasant pale yellow in others. This is an old photo taken years ago with a 2MP Fugi Finepix camera, but this is the I color OEC. Its diameter is around 6.3mm iirc, and it's a bit shallow with a window. It never looks yellow at all. I just learned to see tint in it now that I never even noticed for years, is why I bought that up. I still think I'd be perfectly fine with an I in the 1.6ct range and it wouldn't be too tinted even with no fluor.
18784_-_copy.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have I colored studs and yes I can clearly see that they're not D colored! It doesn't bother me however because I'm a color freak. I start seeing tint at F, but cannot see the difference between D and E. I'm not a diamond girl really, so that could be why I don't care much.

I for me represents amazing value for the money. You can if you're not bothered by it, have stones that can be pretty killer. I'm quite dark so on me, I colored stones look very white.

You're really going to be the only person that can decide if you should go with an I. IMO go with a stone where the tint will not bother you. Have you looked at higher colors?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The wonderful thing about WF is that you can upgrade policy, Have you asked WF to do a comparison against an H that you like?

ETD: You can even ask to compare against other Is to see if you have a low or high colored I

Last edited:

confusedshopper1

Rough_Rock
Well, i can definitely see the ivory from the side in nearly all types of light. My OEC has strong blue fluorescence, and in any place where there is UV light, the face-up is completely white. When there's no UV light, the face-up is what I'd call white. Even my recut L/M diamond faces up nearly white in most lighting, and a pleasant pale yellow in others. This is an old photo taken years ago with a 2MP Fugi Finepix camera, but this is the I color OEC. Its diameter is around 6.3mm iirc, and it's a bit shallow with a window. It never looks yellow at all. I just learned to see tint in it now that I never even noticed for years, is why I bought that up. I still think I'd be perfectly fine with an I in the 1.6ct range and it wouldn't be too tinted even with no fluor.
18784_-_copy.jpg

That looks stunning and very white! :)

confusedshopper1

Rough_Rock
I have I colored studs and yes I can clearly see that they're not D colored! It doesn't bother me however because I'm a color freak. I start seeing tint at F, but cannot see the difference between D and E. I'm not a diamond girl really, so that could be why I don't care much.

I for me represents amazing value for the money. You can if you're not bothered by it, have stones that can be pretty killer. I'm quite dark so on me, I colored stones look very white.

You're really going to be the only person that can decide if you should go with an I. IMO go with a stone where the tint will not bother you. Have you looked at higher colors?

We've looked at higher colors in person vs. an I but it was really hard to tell since they were all retail stores with white lights flashing everywhere haha, which is why it's tougher to make a decision online!

The wonderful thing about WF is that you can upgrade policy, Have you asked WF to do a comparison against an H that you like?

ETD: You can even ask to compare against other Is to see if you have a low or high colored I

Our diamond consultant linked us to an H to take a look at so we just asked her if she can send comparisons with the I. Maybe that will help us with the decision :)

fdc89

Rough_Rock
Hi,
What have you decided on finally? I myself am hesitating between H and I too, these are the 2 diamonds that I'm eyeing. Would love to have advice from all of you. TIA.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,
What have you decided on finally? I myself am hesitating between H and I too, these are the 2 diamonds that I'm eyeing. Would love to have advice from all of you. TIA.

You should start a separate thread. You will need to request the lab reports for these diamonds from James Allen and post them as well.

fdc89

Rough_Rock
You should start a separate thread. You will need to request the lab reports for these diamonds from James Allen and post them as well.

Thank you, I will do like you suggested =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results