shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions please: Who should make my ring?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping some of you who are more experienced than I can help to point me in the right direction. I paln to have a right hand ring made soon. I expect to purchase an emerald cut diamond in the 2 ct. range (when I again will ask for your advice!). I want the ring to be YG and the band to be somewhat wide. My platinum/WG jewelry is very traditional and my YG jewelry is less so. I have spent inumerable hours looking for a setting to use as my inspiration and I think I have finally come up with something as a basis to start with. Now I need to figure out who I should work with to make this ring. Based upon the photo of the inspiration ring, and that fact that I want YG, do any of you have any suggestions? Your input is greatly appreciated.

inspiration_7.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that is an Ashoka Diamond in the ring you posted, ... the ring is very beautiful, I don't know who can make this ring but someone will be around soon enough.. I know the knowledgeable people often recommend Steven Kirsch, also they recommend Brian Gavin.. I think an ashoka diamond would be awesome! versus an emerald style diamond.. Leon Mege works a LOT in platinum.. ID Jewelry.. there are many here that I am sure would make you a totally gorgeous ring.. looking forward to seeing your process.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Tekate, I'm not planning on looking for an Ashoka. They are lovely, but at the premium they command, they are probably beyond my budget for a RHR. It is the setting that I am using as the inspiration but plan on a traditonal EC diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wrong thread.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Gypsy, but I'm really wanting an emerald cut. Any suggestions on those and on who would be the best to make my ring in Yellow Gold?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me? I'd have either Steven or Victor do it. But it will cost you about 5k for one of them. I don't know what your budget it.

WF and ERD are good choices if you can't afford Steven or Victor. Any vendor will have to slightly modify the design for copyright.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again Gypsy, and yes, I do have some ideas about modification. My budget is probably about 20k so I guess it depends on the stone I find and then what is left over for the setting. I appreciate the recommendations. I wasn't sure if all of the usual recommended vendors would work with YG since so many are known for their platinum work. Or if any were better known for designs that are more in line with what I am looking for. It sounds like you think any of them would do it. I'm sure they are all capable. So I guess now it is on to look for a stone and to figure out what color I can go down to without it bothering me. I'm thinking perhaps I can go to an H and maybe even and I but the I might be pushing it on an EC. I think I have to keep the clarity in the VS1 range for this cut. Thoughts on color in a YG ring?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
might any of these be an option?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-349680

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-350301

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.10-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-318607

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.24-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305853

I have a G color option that I know will work but the cost of the diamond plus appx 5k for the setting is really more than I want to spend, but I will if I can't find anything in an H or I that will make me happy. But I'd like to explore those options if I can.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am pretty good at picking out ECs. I can help you.

I like I colored ECs actually. But H or better is more conservative.

It's preference thing. You don't need VS1. There are many eyeclean VS2s out there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lookinagain|1406255887|3720217 said:
might any of these be an option?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-349680 Yes, it is an option. Depth is shallow but it is giving it amazing spread. And the shallow depth is not an auto-disqualify with ECs and this one shows well in the video. So I think this one is definitely on the ASET list. You only get 3 with JA, so pick carefully

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.02-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-350301 Not my favorite but it depends on what else we can find in budget for you.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.10-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-318607 Not my favorite but it depends on what else we can find in budget for you.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.24-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-305853b] No. Not a good option.[/b]

I have a G color option that I know will work but the cost of the diamond plus appx 5k for the setting is really more than I want to spend, but I will if I can't find anything in an H or I that will make me happy. But I'd like to explore those options if I can.

OK so the pickings are slim. You've got the best three at JA above you can put them on hold and ask for an ASET of each.

These two are lovely. But are both a little above budget (add to carat to show price):
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11502/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11500/

But if you can get quotes and see if anyone can do it for you for around 3,500 then one of these may be a possibility for you. I have a preference for the first one 11502 because of the shape and the spread.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have put two of my picks on hold and requested assets. 349680 and 381607. I'm looking at the two from GOG but can't seem to get the prices right now.

And I agree, the pickings have been slim for awhile. If I bump up my budget to 25K do you see better stones? I'd rather spend more if it means I'm better off in the long run. I just haven't really been able to find much no matter how much my budget is below 30k except for increasing color and clarity. But not really increasing size.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got the prices which would be fine if the stones are better. i am going to keep looking while I wait for the JA assets. I do prefer EC's that are not too long and narrow. I am a size 6 in a wide band ring and have very long fingers and feel that a wider stone and wider band is better for me. I will post the assets when they come in and also any other stones I find. Thank you Gypsy for your input. It really helps to have some back up on this. I'm out of my element!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
How about Mark Broumand? He recently made a YG pave ring for
Athenaworth and it is gorgeous in person. Just the perfect light YG (not the 80's shade) hand forged and the price was very reasonable. Very nice to deal with too. I spoke to him a 2 weeks ago for a project that I'm putting together involving (surprise!)...YG and pave!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The two GOG stones are 17,500 and 18,500 about. I personally would ask for a video of the two stones side by side. I really like this one here: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11502/ and if it works out at 9x6 in spread is great and would look fantastic in that setting of yours.

I don' t think jumping up the budget that much is a good idea. If you are going to increase the budget... don't double it. That's just not a good idea. And you will likely regret it later.

A couple thousand, maybe five thousand more okay. But that still means a maximum stone budget should be under 20k. And then your setting costs would be whatever you want.

I am friends with Athenaworth and she is very happy with her ring from Mark Broumand. And she knows high quality jewelry. So I do think the recommendation of him is a good one.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smart thinking Gypsy. I am just not wanting to get a stone that I will regret later. But you are right. I shouldn't double the budget and actually don't need to. I have the 2 assets coming from JA so I have one more to ask for. I will also try to deal with GOG and have emailed and asked for a video of the two stones you suggested so hopefully will have a few good stones to choose from.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video is posted. The stone on the left looks so dark. What about the one on the right? It is certainly brighter than the one on the left, but forgetting that, does it look good enough to buy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K04_FEsBWaA

Still waiting for the ASETS from JA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you. The one the right would be my pick. It's a lovely stone! :wavey:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ASETs

_21046.jpg

_21047.jpg

_21048.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please post the regular pictures/video of the stones each ASET corresponds to .

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The info is as follows:

Diamond #1 - 2.01 I color vs1. Low I per gemologist. Med blue flouro. Not milky in sun. About 14k. Spread is 8.44 x 6.14

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-349680

Diamond #2 - 2.10 H VS1. High H color. About 18k. Spread is 8.75 x 6.14

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.10-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-318607

Diamond #3- 2.0 H VS2. No comment on color. About 17k. Spread is 8.14x 6.08. About 17k.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K04_FEsBWaA

All are in budget. I would normally pick #1 based on ASEt and spread but the color worries me.
I think #2 would be my next choice based on the ASETs and clarity grading and nice spread ford my ring design.

All are said to be eye clean.
This diamond will go into a yellow gold ring if that affects your advice.

What would you do?

Gypsy. You've been helping me all along so I would appreciate your input.

Sorry keep losing my connection so doing piecemeal.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are their comments:

As I am sure you expected after reviewing the images, the gemologist found both diamonds to be very lively options! They both have a perfect alternating pattern of light and dark performance that you would expect in a well performing emerald. The alignment of facets on both diamonds are very fine and crisp also. With the clarity grade of each diamond, I know that you already expected for both diamonds to be completely "eye clean"; which I did have the gemologist confirm for us. The 2.10 carat-H-VS1 was his personal favorite of the two; due to it being a higher "H" color; facing up a
nice white. The 2.01 carat-I-VS1 is a lower "I" color and has more warmth than the average emerald cut diamond with this color grade.

And FYI Mark Broumand will be making the ring. They have been very responsive so far.thank you Jericosmom and gypsy for the recommendation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The I is a very lovely stone. But the "low I" evaluation would give me a lot of pause as well.

The H is larger (spread not carat weight). And the performance is not as great as the I but it's not bad either at all. And it is whiter, which I personally think it important in a yellow gold setting.

BUT... here's the thing. There's a 4k difference. That's a LOT of money.

Is there ANY WAY you can either: have both sent to you and pick one? Or if you live near a great appraiser, maybe you can ask JA if they will send the two stones to the appraiser to get a look at it.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Gypsy for your input. Unfortunately, I don't know any appraisers myself. I am in Boston, so I'm sure there are some here, it is just that I don't know any.

And I agree, the 4k difference is alot and will practically pay for the setting.

I am going to contact them. I really hate to have to buy both and send them all that extra cash, but I just might need to. Still thinking about that.
I think I will ask them to take a photo of the two stones next to each other on a white background and send it to me. It might not help, but who knows and it can't hurt.

Again, thank you Gypsy. It really helps to have someone confirm (or not) my thinking. It's my first sight unseen diamond purchase and quite nerve wracking!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to look at diamonds in person today and saw a 4 ct. Asher, I color. It was beautiful! (Wish I could buy that one). It was set, and it looked very white to me.
I've decided to buy the I colored stone and have it shipped to me. I just couldn't justify spending an extra 4k on the H if the I would work for me. I discussed with JA the timing etc. Since I will know pretty much right away if the I is too warm, I could actually ship it right back the same day. The customer service rep said that the H probably would not even be released from the hold by that time, but that I could keep an eye on it and if it were, I could ask him to put it back on hold as I would be returning the first. I decided that was my best option and if for some reason the H is snatched up and I miss it, I will just keep looking. I have no real deadline here. This is just a gift to myself. Thanks again for all the help. I will update soon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that's wise! I would want to save 4k too if I could. Let me know what you think of it when you see it.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It arrived today. The cut on it is really, really nice, but I think it might be a bit too warm for me. I only see the color when looking straight down on it, but of course, that is what I will be seeing all the time. It isn't bad at all in the tension setting, but I think the yellow gold setting may exacerbate the warmth and I don't think I would like that. I keep going back and forth. I didn't get much chance today to look at it in daylight and compare it to my other diamonds (Gs and Fs) so I will do that in the morning. And then I wonder whether the H will be whiter enough. Perhaps, since the gemologist said the I was a low I, the H will be fine. And the size/spread is larger. I'm fairly certain I will exchange it but I am going to revisit my decision in the morning.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I had seen you suggest that to someone and I went ahead and reserved it. It isn't that much more than the H I was looking at and I feel better about a G color. I am not really sure the H would have made me happy. And that Aset looks great. I will ship the original diamond back Monday and hope to have this one by the end of the week. Thank you again Gypsy. You've been great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results