shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions on stone selection PLEASE :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Hi all :)

I''ve had this setting sitting around for sometime, just waiting for the perfect center stone to come around. I am not sure if stepcuts or brilliant cuts look the best in it since the setting has both. I just wanted to get the opinions from a few others-thanks in advance!

baguette halo stone comparison.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I really like the stepcut with it - not sure what it is, but it just looks "right" to me
1.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
BEG-thanks for your vote :)

Here''s the side view.

baguette halo side view.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s perfect with a light colored stepcut.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Catmom-thanks for your opinion, what color stone do you see in that setting?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Almost looks like it''s made for a step cut doesn''t it. But with a really nice stone you could go either way. How about an aquamarine?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:52:06 PM
Author: innerkitten
Almost looks like it''s made for a step cut doesn''t it. But with a really nice stone you could go either way. How about an aquamarine?

IK-I''ve been looking for a nice aqua, just haven''t for one in the color I''m looking for. The jeweler I purchased the setting from was completely convinced that the setting was only for a round stone!!! But, I''ve been leaning towards a stepcut since I bought it!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The right one might show up and you could always have one cut. What stones do you like? I''ll keep an eye out for you.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
IK-thanks for the offer :) I am usually not a pastel girl unless the stone has alot of dispersion or a great cut. The stone needs to be fairly tough too-I work with my hands and need substantial jewelry. Other than that I am really open to what species of stone I will set in the ring. I know probably not much help!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m the same, sort of rough on my jewelry. Maybe you can get a medium toned garnet or something? Pale spess or mint garnet, even a lighter sapphire.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:25:38 PM
I''m the same, sort of rough on my jewelry. Maybe you can get a medium toned garnet or something? Pale spess or mint garnet, even a lighter sapphire.

I am currently looking for a Malaya peachy-pink :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the stepcut too.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I like the step cut but I''m not sure it''s a fair comparision. First of all the other stone looks a bit too dark for that setting. And the angle isn''t the same. It''s hard for me to even judge that one. So I lean towards the other one. I''d like to see the pics be from the same angle. That being said, I see a red stone in that setting. Or a blue one - but the right blue that isn''t too dark. Gorgeous setting BTW! :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. Looks like it sold already. Gene has some malaya rough I think. You might mention what your looking for to him.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the first vote for a brilliant cut - not without an explanation, off course
9.gif
:

- you''ve got step cuts surrounded by brilliant cuts on the shank; why not balance that with a brilliant cut surrounded by step cuts
- a step cut might get overpowered in that setting cause, my God, there''s a lot of bling in it.

As to color choices, I totally see something dark blue in it. It''s quite geometrical and reminds of art deco pieces, which were off course, known for strong contrasts. I also think that a low contrast piece would get lost in such a blingy piece. A nice sapphire maybe, or even a spinel, or tourmaline would probably do in terms of durabilty. But I wouldn''t put just anything in there, cause it''s a really nice setting with an unusual design (probably wasn''t cheap either), which IMO deserves a nice quality stone.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them both, but oddly I am drawn to the dark round in there a bit more!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Step cut for sure. Lighter color stone (pink, yellow or light red), mint green will be so pretty!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:42:56 PM
Author: mercoledi
How about something like the first stone listed here, it''s a round with a step-like pattern in a lighter, gold color.

That is a lovely stone, I just returned a Mali, it really didn''t speak to me-might have been the cut on it-normally I love the dispersion of garnets :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:43:26 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I like the stepcut too.

Thanks for you opinion Freke :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:51:32 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I like the step cut but I''m not sure it''s a fair comparision. First of all the other stone looks a bit too dark for that setting. And the angle isn''t the same. It''s hard for me to even judge that one. So I lean towards the other one. I''d like to see the pics be from the same angle. That being said, I see a red stone in that setting. Or a blue one - but the right blue that isn''t too dark. Gorgeous setting BTW! :)

The pics were taken on separate days with really different lighting conditions. I had to angle the handshot today with the iolite because the stone kept moving on me. The first pics was taken on a really sunny day without any flash, the second pic was on a really dark day with flash too. I did try my red spinel in the setting and liked the color, but the stone isn''t large enough for the setting, so would need to search for another. I would love love love an asscher cut blue sapphire-still haven''t found one that would fit the setting and have tried numerous cutters(5 I think) to try and get one cut and have come up empty handed. Thanks, I really love the setting :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:54:56 PM
Very pretty. Looks like it sold already. Gene has some malaya rough I think. You might mention what your looking for to him.

Thanks, maybe I will :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:57:03 PM
Author: ma re
And here''s the first vote for a brilliant cut - not without an explanation, off course
9.gif
:

- you''ve got step cuts surrounded by brilliant cuts on the shank; why not balance that with a brilliant cut surrounded by step cuts

- a step cut might get overpowered in that setting cause, my God, there''s a lot of bling in it.

As to color choices, I totally see something dark blue in it. It''s quite geometrical and reminds of art deco pieces, which were off course, known for strong contrasts. I also think that a low contrast piece would get lost in such a blingy piece. A nice sapphire maybe, or even a spinel, or tourmaline would probably do in terms of durabilty. But I wouldn''t put just anything in there, cause it''s a really nice setting with an unusual design (probably wasn''t cheap either), which IMO deserves a nice quality stone.
Thanks for the explanation of your opinion. I love contrast and am not really a pastel girl. And no the setting wasn''t cheap, so I really need to set a nice stone into it. I would love a nice sapphire for it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:57:03 PM
9.gif
:

Thanks for the explanation of your opinion, that is why I am a little torn with a step cut or a brilliant cut. I love contrast and am not really a pastel girl. And you are correct that the setting wasn''t cheap, so I really need to set a nice stone into it. I would love a nice sapphire for it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 1:59:37 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Thanks TGal :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:00:30 PM
Author: yingh
Step cut for sure. Lighter color stone (pink, yellow or light red), mint green will be so pretty!

Thanks yingh, I''m not usually a pastel girl-so the stone, if light, would have to have fantastic dispersion and cut!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Just a reminder that a cushion would probably fit in there - and sapphire cushions are not THAT hard to find
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 3:13:21 PM
Just a reminder that a cushion would probably fit in there - and sapphire cushions are not THAT hard to find
2.gif

Thanks Ma re, yes a cushion or square radiant would fit nicely. I am currently looking for a 8-9mm nice blue sapphire for the center in another project that I have in the re-works! So, would probably hold off on purchasing another blue sapphire for this setting right now, but that is originally what I wanted to set in this ring :)

BTW-this setting would need a 7.5-8mm size stone.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto, I guess we''re the odd ones out TGal - I much prefer the dark round in that setting!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 3:56:19 PM
Author: musey

Ditto, I guess we''re the odd ones out TGal - I much prefer the dark round in that setting!
musey-I actually really appreciate your opinion about the round as well, I am obviously torn as to which way to go with this setting, since I''ve had it sitting empty for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results