shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions on stone selection PLEASE :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
SNC,

Have you considered a mixed cut? My tourmaline is a step cut crown with a brilliant pavillion. It flies somewhat in the face of tradition, but I like it.

gold pink and orange 03.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SCN - a definite vote for the step cut! In fact, I''ve got an asscher I''m looking to set and that''s the perfect setting! Can you share where you bought it please? I can''t wait to see what you settle on.

Gailey - love your tourmaline.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 6:01:03 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
SCN - a definite vote for the step cut! In fact, I''ve got an asscher I''m looking to set and that''s the perfect setting! Can you share where you bought it please? I can''t wait to see what you settle on.

SCN, I echo LD''s question about where you got it from. It''s reminiscent of the Daniel K setting. I seriously thought of putting my tourmaline in a baguette Halo. Wink as much as said, "over my dead body"! So I can''t wait to see what you do with it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:24:08 PM
Author: stepcutnut
Date: 3/9/2009 3:56:19 PM
Author: musey
Date: 3/9/2009 1:59:37 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I love them both, but oddly I am drawn to the dark round in there a bit more!
Ditto, I guess we''re the odd ones out TGal - I much prefer the dark round in that setting!
musey-I actually really appreciate your opinion about the round as well, I am obviously torn as to which way to go with this setting, since I''ve had it sitting empty for so long.
I can''t quite put my finger on it, but this style of setting (to me, for whatever reason) always appeals to me more with a non-step-cut in it. I think step cuts sort of get lost in the baguette-halo (at least they can) and sort of look like a continuation of the halo.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Whatr about an emerald cut square?

Emerald cut square spinel.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:35:45 PM
Author: Gailey
SNC,

Have you considered a mixed cut? My tourmaline is a step cut crown with a brilliant pavillion. It flies somewhat in the face of tradition, but I like it.
Gailey-beautiful tourmaline! I love the cut :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock

LD-thanks for your vote :)

I''ve had it sitting around so long, I will have to look for the receipt to find the jewelers name-it was their own creation/design.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 6:09:04 PM

SCN, I echo LD''s question about where you got it from. It''s reminiscent of the Daniel K setting. I seriously thought of putting my tourmaline in a baguette Halo. Wink as much as said, ''over my dead body''! So I can''t wait to see what you do with it.
Gailey-I''ve loved the Daniel K settings for sooooo long, I mentioned to LD-that I can''t remember the jewelers name offhand and will have to try and locate my receipt-it was their own design and was built in shop. Why did Wink say NO to your tourmaline in a baguette halo???

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 8:29:16 PM
Date: 3/9/2009 4:24:08 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 3:56:19 PM

Date: 3/9/2009 1:59:37 PM

Author: TravelingGal

I love them both, but oddly I am drawn to the dark round in there a bit more!

Ditto, I guess we''re the odd ones out TGal - I much prefer the dark round in that setting!

musey-I actually really appreciate your opinion about the round as well, I am obviously torn as to which way to go with this setting, since I''ve had it sitting empty for so long.

I can''t quite put my finger on it, but this style of setting (to me, for whatever reason) always appeals to me more with a non-step-cut in it. I think step cuts sort of get lost in the baguette-halo (at least they can) and sort of look like a continuation of the halo.
Thanks musey, I don''t think I would want a white step cut diamond in it for that reason.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:04:13 PM
I would go for that :) Is that yours???

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:06:45 AM

Certainly is (they both are!!) Can''t talk too much about it yet!!

No idea why Wink was so set against a baguette halo, but I think he thinks baguettes are not the best cut to show off diamond properties.

Attached is a picture I saved from somewhere. I don''t remember so can''t quote the owner or maker of the ring, but I suspect it''s DK.

pinkdkassch.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Gailey, that example looks wonderful, but I''m not sure the setting in question would have a similar effect on a step cut center stone (and vice versa), cause the one you showed has only step cuts and no brilliants at all.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 9:34:10 AM
Author: ma re
Gailey, that example looks wonderful, but I''m not sure the setting in question would have a similar effect on a step cut center stone (and vice versa), cause the one you showed has only step cuts and no brilliants at all.
Yes you are right - of course! What did you think of my previous suggestion of a mixed cut: step crown and brilliant pavillion?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 10:14:02 AM

Date: 3/10/2009 9:34:10 AM
Author: ma re
Yes you are right - of course! What did you think of my previous suggestion of a mixed cut: step crown and brilliant pavillion?
Personally, not my cup of tea, cause it reminds me too much of concave cuts and I prefer scintillation over brilliance. That''s just me, off course
1.gif
But it might look interesting in that setting, absolutely.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to put a mixed step/brilliant cut in a halo of step cuts. It'll definite be unique and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 8:40:15 AM
Date: 3/10/2009 8:06:45 AM

Certainly is (they both are!!) Can''t talk too much about it yet!!

No idea why Wink was so set against a baguette halo, but I think he thinks baguettes are not the best cut to show off diamond properties.

Attached is a picture I saved from somewhere. I don''t remember so can''t quote the owner or maker of the ring, but I suspect it''s DK.
Can I ask who cut the oval aqua-was it Gary?

I have always loved that Daniel K setting-sigh!!!

I think a mixed cut would be a lovely idea :)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
SNC

Peter Toracca cut both stones. I''m about to start a post in "Hangout" about them.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:25:44 PM
SNC

Peter Toracca cut both stones. I''m about to start a post in ''Hangout'' about them.
They are both really lovely stones :) He does an excellent job!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I like the mixed cut idea.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 1:38:52 PM
Author: coatimundi
I like the mixed cut idea.
Me too. But I like all three ideas, for different reasons. (This is why it takes me forever to get anything set... I like too many things
3.gif
). Not helpful, right? Ok, if it came down to it... I think I would go with a brilliant cut for the contrast.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
coatimundi and IK-thanks for your opinions!!! :)

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I have found the perfect solution! Except for the price. And the color. Maybe Jon would irradiate it for you?
37.gif
31.gif
11.gif
32.gif
38.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:11:15 PM
Author: mercoledi
I have found the perfect solution! Except for the price. And the color. Maybe Jon would irradiate it for you?
37.gif
31.gif
11.gif
32.gif
38.gif

That is gorgeous and I actually came very close to purchasing a similir cut diamond a few months ago, until the jeweler talked me out of it-she said that unless I bezeled the stone it would look very much like a RB once set. So I decided against it!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I suppose it would have to be pretty big to be obviously octagonal. Peter has a weird citrine in a new cut that looks really cool. Might be a nice color for you.

Having recently returned a mixed barion cut, I have some reservations about taking that tack. I would want one with a really high crown and little table, the one I sent back had a lot of table reflection and didn''t really show off the step-cut crown.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:17:41 PM
Author: mercoledi
Yeah, I suppose it would have to be pretty big to be obviously octagonal. Peter has a weird citrine in a new cut that looks really cool. Might be a nice color for you.

Having recently returned a mixed barion cut, I have some reservations about taking that tack. I would want one with a really high crown and little table, the one I sent back had a lot of table reflection and didn't really show off the step-cut crown.
The octagonal cut diamond that I was looking at was only a carat, so I would suppose too that it would have to be much larger than that to be obvious.

As far at the citrine goes, the color seems to have too much brown for me. I also think I need a higher end stone to put into the setting, for me to be OK with it-I have this issue with spending so much on a setting vs. the center stone. Also, thanks for your input on the mixed cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results