Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions on Engagement Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wbtunick

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have been reading along with the posts for a few weeks as we started our search for an engagement ring and have finally decided to register and ask a question.

My girlfriend had her heart set on a cushion cut diamond from the beginning and we were able to find a great 1.5 cushion cut that is more of a rectangle than a square (7.7 x 6.2). Now we are looking for a setting.

The two that we are leaning towards are almost identical, one is from Tacori and the other from Coast Diamonds. Here is a link to the Tacori ring:

http://www.weddingband.com/dol_c.html

Can''t find one from Coast but it is basically the same design (engraving, pinched band and pear side stones).

A quick search makes me think the Coast one might be better to avoid some of the Tacori problem experienced by others and it is a little cheaper.

In any case I was hoping for assistance with a few things:

1) Any suggestions of online retailers that sell Coast Diamonds settings?
2) If the best price I can find on the Coast would be around $4k would it be cheaper to try to get a custom ring with the same basic design?
3) Any other thoughts/opinions on either setting/design or retailers?

Thanks,
William

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Depending which custom Jeweler you ask, you can typically get it reasonably cheaper, and a equal or better job.

I have done a ton a research in regards to settings the last few years. My wife is finicky in regards to classic settings, and is tough to choose from. So now I usually involve her in the process.

Some resources I would look at:

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/ They have SOOOOOOOOOO many options and you can get a real good idea on price and design styles of some custom designers.

www.renaissanceplatinum.com I once purchase a setting from them and was very pleased.

www.artofplatinum.com I considered Leon Mege briefly, but I felt his customer service wasnt what I wanted. However is rings are amazing.

I decided recently to go with Maytal Hoffman who is a custom jeweler, but we have just begun the process of having the settings made for two rings. Which I think will be fantastic.

If I were in your position I would look to buy second hand. :) IN particular I think this ring is a beauty at pearlmans under the Great Deals section.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/061PO1/8/

If you have already purchased the stone, this obviously wont work...

-G

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know. When you are talking about engraved, antique style settings, I think it is almost safer to go with the sure thing. And I have looked at Coast and Tacori, and considering all the problems with Tacori and losing stones, I''d think Coast is worth a shot. I did find a Coast ring I liked a lot, but I have not found them online. Diamonds Direct in Charlotte, NC carries Coast, and they have a 20% off sale a couple of times a year. So that''s how I''d buy one if I were in the market for one.

http://www.diamondsdirectsouthpark.com/designers.html

wbtunick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info.

Already contacted Renaissance Platinum, they actually had a very similar example on their website.

But I was also interested in contacting Maytal Hoffman but am not sure how I can contact her (a search here and google didn''t turn anything up).

Any info for contacting her or any other ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again,
William

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.