shape
carat
color
clarity

suggestions for mother's/family ring with repeat gems

kallard

Rough_Rock
I am considering getting a mother's ring...or family ring.

I have 5 children, three of which are triplets. Here is the order and birthstones:
February - amethyst, girl
February -amethyst, girl
February -amethyst, girl
August - peridot, girl
September - sapphire, boy

If I were to create a family ring and add my husband and I, it would include
aquamarine (mine)
sapphire (his)

So, the repetition is why I have not gotten a ring prior to now. I cannot find a way to balance the design with 3 and then 2 different ones. Then, if you add in mine and my husband's I have another two repeats.

I have seriously considered just letting my kids pick their favorite gemstone and not paid any heed to the accepted stones - as long as they didn't duplicate.

I was also considering stackable or something that wasn't a band design....I don't think the shape of a simple band is not flattering on my hand.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a cluster/confetti style (like my avatar)? Space out the amethysts with the other stones interspersed to break them up. Because you have aqua and peridot in the mix, I would stick with lighter sapphires and ammys so the stones are along the same in tone. The nice thing about sapphires is that you can get them in different colors.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Here are some cool cluster rings I think are beautiful. Someone else posted them on a different thread but I can't remember who or what thread. I just had these in my inspiration folder. There was also someone who did a planet ring that turned out really cool. I'll see if I can dig that up.

_3715.jpeg

_3716.jpeg

_3717.jpeg

austinj

Shiny_Rock
You could also do different colors of amethyst and sapphire. For example you could do one green amethyst, one light purple and one dark purple, and then with sapphires the sky is the limit pretty much for colors. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

_3718.jpeg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go with asking everyone what their favourite gemstone was. That to me is more meaningful then some random/whoever sat down and thought 'this month will have this "birth stone"'. I'd value my families own opinions/choices over convention every time and that would make it much more meaningful for me.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
theredspinel|1463817063|4034339 said:
I would go with asking everyone what their favourite gemstone was. That to me is more meaningful then some random/whoever sat down and thought 'this month will have this "birth stone"'. I'd value my families own opinions/choices over convention every time and that would make it much more meaningful for me.

Yup!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you could pick a stone for each family member that represents his/her character. For example moonstone for a serious person or chrysoprase for an outgoing and creative character.
Personally I love stacking rings, but wearing 5 rings together might be a challenge if you do not have very long fingers.

kallard

Rough_Rock
austinj|1463799016|4034285 said:
Here are some cool cluster rings I think are beautiful. Someone else posted them on a different thread but I can't remember who or what thread. I just had these in my inspiration folder. There was also someone who did a planet ring that turned out really cool. I'll see if I can dig that up.

Is the planet ring in one of those photos? My husband, son, and I are into astronomy, so that would be interesting.

kallard

Rough_Rock
theredspinel|1463817063|4034339 said:

Yes, this is my thought exactly.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Back when I dealt with the trade and designers they would tell me of situations like this one and one way they tackled this was they designed the piece with graduated tones of the same color and also used cabochon and faceted gems to add a unique touch to the design to incorporate the same mineral types.
Young people and well as us older ones change our mind sometimes on what our favorite gem or color is .

Just food for thought.

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think changing minds is ok. Still beats the fact that there are 50 different gemstones assigned to each month, depending on your source and the list grows daily as it's chopped and changed and amended. (Obviously I am doing a little bit of exaggerating with my figures :lol: )

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kallard|1463838915|4034403 said:
austinj|1463799016|4034285 said:
Is the planet ring in one of those photos? My husband, son, and I are into astronomy, so that would be interesting.
quaxie embarked on such a design, but so far as I know, she did not post the ring once completed; here's her last thread on the topic, which includes a link to her initial one:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/space-odyssey-continues-looking-for-a-catseye.202599/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/space-odyssey-continues-looking-for-a-catseye.202599/[/URL]

I also thought longtime PSer dk168 composed a ring with a similar theme, but I can't seem to find anything about that now, so it seems my recollection is faulty.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This wouldn't be the usual kind of family ring, but I'm wondering if your state might be the source of a gem or gems you'd like? The newest member of my family is an August baby. But in lieu of peridot (my own birthstone, for which I have little enthusiasm) to be set in the pendant created as a gift for her to wear when she is older, I chose a Jackson's Crossroads amethyst because she was born and is growing up in Georgia.

Here's a partial list, grouped by state
http://geology.com/gemstones/states/
And if the idea has any appeal to you, I imagine Brad (The Gem Trader) could be a good source of info; a page of his web site is devoted to US gems & there usually are other native stones sprinkled throughout his inventory pages.
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Inventory%20Page.htm

niter

Rough_Rock
I could have written this post except with different months. I ended up with a RHR that is all diamonds...5. There were many reasons for the 5 stones and it was something I wanted before children but I love that I have 5 kids and 5 stones. I am thinking of getting pendants made in each child's birthstone though the repetition of the triplets makes it a bit tricky as I do not want 3 pieces of the same stone.

I think you could make a very cool gradient ring with the stones you have if you would like to do birth stones. Something like this:

aquamarine, peridot, a green/blue sapphire, deep blue or purple blue sapphire, amethyst

I think that would represent all of the people in your family without looking garish or overdone. Also, the triplets could share a stone to reduce the repetition of stone colors. Likewise you could have you have a three stone ring with the peridot, sapphire, and amethyst. Three stones to represent three pregnancy/births.

kallard

Rough_Rock
niter|1463883470|4034637 said:
I could have written this post except with different months. I ended up with a RHR that is all diamonds...5. There were many reasons for the 5 stones and it was something I wanted before children but I love that I have 5 kids and 5 stones. I am thinking of getting pendants made in each child's birthstone though the repetition of the triplets makes it a bit tricky as I do not want 3 pieces of the same stone.

I think you could make a very cool gradient ring with the stones you have if you would like to do birth stones. Something like this:

aquamarine, peridot, a green/blue sapphire, deep blue or purple blue sapphire, amethyst

I think that would represent all of the people in your family without looking garish or overdone. Also, the triplets could share a stone to reduce the repetition of stone colors. Likewise you could have you have a three stone ring with the peridot, sapphire, and amethyst. Three stones to represent three pregnancy/births.

The triplets would not forgive me for having one stone to represent them. :shock: They do not like being triplets. The only way that would work is if I did something creative - and don't even know how this is possible - with one larger amethyst and then have three small stones somehow within the amethyst. Their ring would have to be separate probably if I did that.

When they were babies, I assigned them colors to be able to identify their things...only when they were under 2. One was green, one blue, and one pink. So, Sydney's blanket was green, Samantha's was blue, Bethany's pink. My daughter Sydney has red hair and green eyes and her favorite color is green, but not sure if she would pick a green stone. Samantha is an artist and I can see her picking many different colors. Bethany is likely to stick to the amethyst or maybe something pink. I will ask them - hadn't gotten around to it. BTW, they are 20.

My 14 year old HATES her birthstone - Peridot, so this is another reason why I am swayed to not go by the traditionally assigned gems/colors. She likes red. But she could also care less about jewelry and thinks it is a waste of money (eh, she's 14, what does she know?).

My son. 12. was into collecting rocks, so he has more interest than my daughter. He likes his birthstone, but would like anything blue or turquoise.

All of them were born in the same state, California, and even same hospital, so no variance there.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the triplets, you could go with Prasiolite (basically green amethyst) for Sydney, and a blue-purple Ammy for Samantha, and Rose de France amethyst (pale pinkish Ammy) for Bethany.

Has your August daughter seen top quality Peridot? Unless she doesn't like any shade of green... because the Peridot seen in department stores etc. is basically crap compared to what is available there. Diamonds and Peridot are the only stones which form deep in the earth's magma. The thing I think is so cool about Peridot is that it (in its mineral form) has also been discovered in meteorites, on the Moon, and on Mars.

kallard

Rough_Rock
marymm|1463927801|4034765 said:
For the triplets, you could go with Prasiolite (basically green amethyst) for Sydney, and a blue-purple Ammy for Samantha, and Rose de France amethyst (pale pinkish Ammy) for Bethany.

Has your August daughter seen top quality Peridot? Unless she doesn't like any shade of green... because the Peridot seen in department stores etc. is basically crap compared to what is available there. Diamonds and Peridot are the only stones which form deep in the earth's magma. The thing I think is so cool about Peridot is that it (in its mineral form) has also been discovered in meteorites, on the Moon, and on Mars.

The Peridot daughter's least favorite color is green. She might even like a pure yellow better, but she really has no interest and is hard to get answers out of:

Here is the response I have so far...I sent it late last night. These are directly from them.

Sydney - light jade
Samantha - something red OR opal (although, at first, I thought she meant red opal, like fire opal)
Marley - "Why am I in this [text] conversation?" :wall: I knew that would be her response. (the Peridot)

My other daughter and son were asleep and still are.

niter

Rough_Rock
kallard|1463907959|4034703 said:
The triplets would not forgive me for having one stone to represent them. :shock: They do not like being triplets. The only way that would work is if I did something creative - and don't even know how this is possible - with one larger amethyst and then have three small stones somehow within the amethyst. Their ring would have to be separate probably if I did that.

When they were babies, I assigned them colors to be able to identify their things...only when they were under 2. One was green, one blue, and one pink. So, Sydney's blanket was green, Samantha's was blue, Bethany's pink. My daughter Sydney has red hair and green eyes and her favorite color is green, but not sure if she would pick a green stone. Samantha is an artist and I can see her picking many different colors. Bethany is likely to stick to the amethyst or maybe something pink. I will ask them - hadn't gotten around to it. BTW, they are 20.

My 14 year old HATES her birthstone - Peridot, so this is another reason why I am swayed to not go by the traditionally assigned gems/colors. She likes red. But she could also care less about jewelry and thinks it is a waste of money (eh, she's 14, what does she know?).

My son. 12. was into collecting rocks, so he has more interest than my daughter. He likes his birthstone, but would like anything blue or turquoise.

All of them were born in the same state, California, and even same hospital, so no variance there.

I think with them old enough to have favorites, I would ask them!

Ours were assigned pink, blue, and green as well when they were little! However, now they are adamant on their favorite colors and that all things for them must be in these three colors. I wonder how long this will persist!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results