shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions for a 2mm platinum/diamond band?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Many moons ago, I had my wedding band custom made for me by a local jeweler. It is platinum with round diamonds and it is a half eternity. It is what is considered bead and bright set, I believe. I love the band and wear it all the time. However, I am noticing it is a little bit wide to try to stack other bands with it. It is about 3.6mm north to south. Since I have started stacking bands I would really love to have a 2mm diamond and platinum half eternity. I am not sure what style I would like, so I'd love suggestions on what people think is really gorgeous, really versatile, and really comfortable. If you could recommend certain styles or vendors I would really appreciate it. This will most likely be paired with a platinum solitaire MRB for the engagement ring, if that helps. Thank you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I immediately though of this ring: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...plat-channel-set-half-eternity-size-6.241329/

@ame is a meticulous jewelry owner and I know she could take exact measurements for you. Scroll down to the end of the thread to find the current pricing. I tried many bands with my three stone ring and found the Tiffany channel set band to be the best look in terms of size and sparkle. If you have a Tiffany's near you, you could always go try the band on to see what you thought about it with your engagement ring.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Tiffany.

cheers--Sharon

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I immediately though of this ring: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...plat-channel-set-half-eternity-size-6.241329/

@ame is a meticulous jewelry owner and I know she could take exact measurements for you. Scroll down to the end of the thread to find the current pricing. I tried many bands with my three stone ring and found the Tiffany channel set band to be the best look in terms of size and sparkle. If you have a Tiffany's near you, you could always go try the band on to see what you thought about it with your engagement ring.

That band does look like a wonderful option - thank you for mentioning it! I think I will go to Tiffany and try on different bands. I had not originally pictured myself getting a channel set, not sure why, but I should try it on and see what I think.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
HI:

Tiffany.

cheers--Sharon

Thank you Sharon! I will check out Tiffany. I know you pay a very steep premium for their engagement rings, but is it different for bands?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Sharon! I will check out Tiffany. I know you pay a very steep premium for their engagement rings, but is it different for bands?
Their bands are somewhat pricey but the workmanship is second to none. However, a preloved band like the one I linked that is in pristine condition is a great value.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their bands are somewhat pricey but the workmanship is second to none. However, a preloved band like the one I linked that is in pristine condition is a great value.

Agreed. :appl:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
At least for ease of trying on, Tiffany will have many options to try on. Once you decide what you like, you can come back here and consult with PS on whether to buy from Tiffany or elsewhere.

Whiteflash has this which may be the kind of thing you want? https://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-wedding-band-617.htm

That Whiteflash band is very pretty - reminds me of my current band quite a bit. I think it will be an excellent option if I decide I want to go with a very similar style to my current band, but in 2mm.

May I have your opinion on if this might be a good option:
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/jewelry/jewelry-detail/76/artemis-shared-prong.htm

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you @MissGotRocks! That is good to know about the workmanship of the bands - Tiffany might be just the ticket! I agree - @ame's band is gorgeous and an excellent value! If I decide to go with that style from Tiffany I will reach out for sure.

Reactions: ame

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @MissGotRocks! That is good to know about the workmanship of the bands - Tiffany might be just the ticket! I agree - @ame's band is gorgeous and an excellent value! If I decide to go with that style from Tiffany I will reach out for sure.
Thanks MGR for the shoutout! My band is still available. Its in perfect condition with paperwork from Tiffany.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I first got it, I also did not think about a channel set, but it actually worked REALLY well with my previous solitaire. The ring is INSANELY comfortable and very well made--and I was going to have one custom made, but was just unimpressed with most of the options. They all seemed SO bulky with too much extra metal on the sides. Pricewise this actually was not as significant a premium for the name, I expected it to be much more than it is pricewise. I was also a nightmare customer both the first time I bought and the second time when I had to replace--I louped all the ones in that size with a 30x lol and rejected a bunch and made them bring in more....I know they all think I am irritating and insane in that store. I had to replace my set after a car accident which is why that's new and unworn--the setting I reset my stone in didn't work with this as well as a different band.

That said--if the setting I chose went with it, I'd definitely still be using it.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
When I first got it, I also did not think about a channel set, but it actually worked REALLY well with my previous solitaire. The ring is INSANELY comfortable and very well made--and I was going to have one custom made, but was just unimpressed with most of the options. They all seemed SO bulky with too much extra metal on the sides. Pricewise this actually was not as significant a premium for the name, I expected it to be much more than it is pricewise. I was also a nightmare customer both the first time I bought and the second time when I had to replace--I louped all the ones in that size with a 30x lol and rejected a bunch and made them bring in more....I know they all think I am irritating and insane in that store. I had to replace my set after a car accident which is why that's new and unworn--the setting I reset my stone in didn't work with this as well as a different band.

That said--if the setting I chose went with it, I'd definitely still be using it.

Thank you for all the information! I will check out the bands at Tiffany and see what I think. I can see why channel set would be incredibly comfortable, and I do think that matters. You are amazing that you louped the stones with a 30x - I love it!! I don't think I would ever be brave enough to do that at Tiffany. But I think it is awesome that you did!

Reactions: ame

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do that literally everywhere.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Multiplitto Tiffany, Leon Mege, and Victor Canera for bands with clean, modern aesthetic.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Multiplitto Tiffany, Leon Mege, and Victor Canera for bands with clean, modern aesthetic.

Thanks Yssie! Is there a certain style that you recommend such as pave or shared prong/u-prong? These are terms I have seen here, but do not have any rings like this currently. Maybe 2mm is too small for shared prongs/u prongs? Fishtail is another term I have heard. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these types.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes - 2mm stones are much too small for U-prong :))

Here’s a good outline of different types of pave. It comes with some personal opinions... I trust you can filter as needed ::)
Article in text is no longer available but here’s a video:

From Victor Canera:
https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/pave-styles

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a photo of your platinum solitaire MRB engagement ring?

It would help to have its style for reference.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - 2mm stones are much too small for U-prong :))

Here’s a good outline of different types of pave. It comes with some personal opinions... I trust you can filter as needed ::)
Article in text is no longer available but here’s a video:

From Victor Canera:
https://www.victorcanera.com/education/jewelry/pave-styles

Thank you Yssie, this was super helpful! I see that I was getting U-Cut pave mixed up with U-prong! Also, I did not realize that my bead/bright set original wedding band is a form of pave. I think I need to see some of these styles in person to see what appeals to me. How it feels between my fingers will also matter greatly. My bright set band is extremely comfortable, and I love that. Do you think the other kinds of pave are comfortable?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a photo of your platinum solitaire MRB engagement ring?

It would help to have its style for reference.

The stone is currently set in a different setting, but I would like to one day have it set in the CVB Jovyn setting (perhaps set on the low side). The stone is a little under 9 mm. Just so you have the big picture, I think I like the idea of the Jovyn solitaire, with an approx 2mm sapphire band under it, and an approx 2mm diamond band at the bottom. I'd like to incorporate sapphire into my wedding stack, but don't think I want to commit to a 3 stone with sapphire side stones. I figure that a sapphire band will be a great, flexible option. I love CVB's Riviere sapphire band, but would love to know if you have any other suggestions for what I am describing.

So, now that you have the whole picture, what combination of sapphire band and diamond band do you think would be gorgeous? I'd love your thoughts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’m personally pretty insensitive to pave between my fingers - none of my rings irritate me, and I’ve got all sorts and sizes. Hopefully someone with more awareness of how pave feels day-to-day day will chime in! I would assume that a channel band without milgrain would be most comfortable, as the channel walls encapsulate the diamonds and there aren’t any prongs.

When it comes to bands there are two dimensions to consider - how wide the band is, and how deep (high off the finger) it is. Many PSers, including me, are much more particular about depth than width: I like my bands and E-ring to have the same height off the finger regardless of width.

If that is also your preference then perhaps resetting your Ering becomes more of a “now” thing because if you buy a bunch of bands you can’t change them later! If depth matching isn’t of concern to you then I think your proposed stack will make you very happy ::)

There are a couple of ways to finagle height off the finger. Stacking bands usually fit more tightly than a single band (just because of accumulating width), so I usually buy them in a larger size. A size 4-1/4 ring is ~15mm interior diametre. If that ring is 2mm deep, the exterior diametre is 15+2+2 = 19mm. This is the same as buying a size 5 ring (15.7mm interior diametre) that’s ~1.6mm deep. One thing to keep in mind is that most rings of a given size aren’t exactly the inner diametre you’ll see on charts, and most manufacturers who do list depth (many don’t) won’t get it exactly to specification, so always ask the vendor what acceptable tolerance is for returns/remakes/restocking fees. If precision of match is really important to you, it’s best to just send a band out so that they’ve got the specimen to match in hand.

Knife edged bands will have more visual tolerance re. Depth mismatches than flat/pipe cut bands. This is because the knife edge blurs the depth profile, and because there’s no metal right next to the outermost part of the adjacent bands - the difference in profile and distance between tangent planes makes it difficult to compare height of those tangent planes.

632BF2EF-E24C-4CA9-B230-45F6D4F12F13.jpeg

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I think I’m personally pretty insensitive to pave between my fingers - none of my rings irritate me, and I’ve got all sorts and sizes. Hopefully someone with more awareness of how pave feels day-to-day day will chime in! I would assume that a channel band without milgrain would be most comfortable, as the channel walls encapsulate the diamonds and there aren’t any prongs.

When it comes to bands there are two dimensions to consider - how wide the band is, and how deep (high off the finger) it is. Many PSers, including me, are much more particular about depth than width: I like my bands and E-ring to have the same height off the finger regardless of width.

If that is also your preference then perhaps resetting your Ering becomes more of a “now” thing because if you buy a bunch of bands you can’t change them later! If depth matching isn’t of concern to you then I think your proposed stack will make you very happy ::)

There are a couple of ways to finagle height off the finger. Stacking bands usually fit more tightly than a single band (just because of accumulating width), so I usually buy them in a larger size. A size 4-1/4 ring is ~15mm interior diametre. If that ring is 2mm deep, the exterior diametre is 15+2+2 = 19mm. This is the same as buying a size 5 ring (15.7mm interior diametre) that’s ~1.6mm deep. One thing to keep in mind is that most rings of a given size aren’t exactly the inner diametre you’ll see on charts, and most manufacturers who do list depth (many don’t) won’t get it exactly to specification, so always ask the vendor what acceptable tolerance is for returns/remakes/restocking fees. If precision of match is really important to you, it’s best to just send a band out so that they’ve got the specimen to match in hand.

Knife edged bands will have more visual tolerance re. Depth mismatches than flat/pipe cut bands. This is because the knife edge blurs the depth profile, and because there’s no metal right next to the outermost part of the adjacent bands - the difference in profile and distance between tangent planes makes it difficult to compare height of those tangent planes.

632BF2EF-E24C-4CA9-B230-45F6D4F12F13.jpeg

Thanks Yssie - This is helpful! I will keep depth in mind while building this stack. It makes sense to get the solitaire sorted and then go from there. Sounds like the knife edge of the Jovyn will give me some options. And I am still considering the channel set. I think I need to try some things on to see what appeals to me and what feels comfortable.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely try as many on as you can and see what looks and feels best to you! Good luck - I’m confident whatever you choose will be lovey ::)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had multiple bands over the years, and the most comfortable diamond band I’ve ever owned is a channel set (1.8mm height off the finger).

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I have had multiple bands over the years, and the most comfortable diamond band I’ve ever owned is a channel set (1.8mm height off the finger).

Thanks Wewechew, that is good to know!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to come back to this thread for a little update. I went to Tiffany and tried on almost all of their bands. The band that I fell in love with was the Embrace. I believe that in general the type of band that appeals to me is called shared prong. I will be keeping that in mind for my 20th wedding anniversary.

XHellfireX

Rough_Rock
Good examples of Pave in here, subscribed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results