shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestion on nice set of tools?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''d like to get a nice set of jewelry tools including loupe, tweezers, caliper, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look for a nice set, maybe in a single case that would fit in my purse?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I saw some for sale on Jewelry Television the other day. Looked like a decent price and quality.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2009 8:18:01 PM
Author: Upgradable
Thanks, hon!! How's the weather down under?

Here's an option

Another
HOTTTT!!! and humid, and miserable, lol ! The first one with the fan is sooo me - as soon as I get home, the pants come off and the aircon goes on! hrmm..TMI?

1237365xzk9e6ipis.gif
1237378tapy7m6a6j.gif
tumbleweed.gif

I'm trying to decide whether to get the set, or buy some things separate. That first one looks reasonable..?
I agree the ones on JTV look pretty good, and not much more expensive than ebay ..

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just have cheapy tweezers, but recently got a great calliper. I play with them everyday. I think I''ve measured everything in the house that I can get between them. Tools are so much fun!

I can''t comment on any sets, I like buying things individually. Have you bought anything yet?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:40:04 AM
Author: cellentani
Don't know if you're still looking, but I posted awhile back about the ones my DH got me for Cmas. The tweezers and callipers have worked very well, so if you're still interested, I can look them up for you.

Here's the link to my post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/so-what-does-a-guy-give-his-darling-whos-addicted-to-jewels-and-pricescope.103498/
cellentani, how do you find those locking tweezers? easy to use etc? thanks!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I just received the Dumont tweezers. Very light and well balanced. Now I just have to go play at the jewelers!!

Addy, what calipers did you get? I just have a little brass set that I measures to the tenth of a millimeter. They work fine for unset stones, but set measuring set stones is a little difficult. I think I'd like some digital ones.

Oooooooo..... and Cellantani....... where did you get that awesome light box setup?? I MUST have one!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2009 10:12:24 AM
I just received the Dumont tweezers. Very light and well balanced. Now I just have to go play at the jewelers!!

Addy, what calipers did you get? I just have a little brass set that I measures to the tenth of a millimeter. They work fine for unset stones, but set measuring set stones is a little difficult. I think I''d like some digital ones.

Oooooooo..... and Cellantani....... where did you get that awesome light box setup?? I MUST have one!!

I must have a light box too! Isn''t it cool?

My callipers came from the store DH buys some trade tools from and we''re in England so it''s not going to be much help to you probably. I think I have
these. It was so romantic of DH to think of me whilst buying his routers and bits
21.gif

I want a new loupe. I think I remember you mentioning you liked yours, Up?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Such a sweet hubby! I have an engineer, so this would be the kind of gift I think I could get him interested in! Those are exactly the type of calipers I''m wanting too!!

I love my loupe! But it is a 30x. I''m not neurotic about inclusions, though. As long as it is eyeclean, no carbon (black spots
14.gif
), and the inclusions are not under the table I''m usually good. My stone is a beautiful SI2!! And most of the time I still need my loupe to find the inclusions.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2009 12:23:55 PM
Such a sweet hubby! I have an engineer, so this would be the kind of gift I think I could get him interested in! Those are exactly the type of calipers I''m wanting too!!

I love my loupe! But it is a 30x. I''m not neurotic about inclusions, though. As long as it is eyeclean, no carbon (black spots
14.gif
), and the inclusions are not under the table I''m usually good. My stone is a beautiful SI2!! And most of the time I still need my loupe to find the inclusions.

I have a 10x and it''s either not a great loupe or I need a stronger one. Or both. I think I''m going to buy a 20x or 30x next.

Tools are great things. DH actually gets really into them, which is just the best thing ever!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I buy my tools from Kassoy: www.kassoy.com. They suggested this light box, but my friend doesn''t like it for shooting loose gems: http://kassoy.com/ec/1/product.asp?idDept=371&idProduct=2098 Other tools I''ve bought are: an OTT light (simulates daylight); a pair of Karats teflon-coated tweezers; the Optivisor (which can be used in place of a loupe); a gem tray and cleaning clothes. I also recently bought a new loupe, a Triplex by Bausch and Lomb. I also need calipers, a UV light and a small torchlight (shine it through the back of the stone and you''ll see all the inclusions). An expensive habit, I tell ya.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s where my husband got the lightbox setup:
http://www.antonline.com/p_American-Recorder-Technologies--SIB-075--American-Recorder-Photo-Studio-in-a-Box-_317400.htm

The lightboxes can get pricey, so this was a really good find and it includes a tabletop tripod, 2 tripod lights, and a carrying case. It''s all very compact. I don''t always use the lightbox, but the tripod is indispensible. The lightbox is one of those pop-up kinds (you know the kind of sunshades for your car that you have to twist to fold?); it''s very lightweight and portable (good for going to all those PS GTGs), but the only downside is that you have to be careful not to bump it when setting up your shop. But then again, you might have that issue with all lightboxes.

I love the tweezers! They''re Dumond diamond locking tweezers, medium point, and we got them at RMG jewelers supply ( www.rmgsupply.com ) for $24.45 + $4.25 shipping.

My digital calipers were purchased through amazon.com (Titan 23175 Electronic Digital Caliper) for $20.36.

I''ve really enjoyed using all my tools, so I hope this helps.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thank you soooo much!! In your opinion, is the light box with light portable enough to take, for example, to a jewelry store to get pictures of their pieces?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
UG - Well, the lightbox folds very compactly, but when you pop it open, it will probably cover most of the width of the jewelry counter. Hang on, I''m off to get some measurements and maybe more pics. I''ll be back later.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I guess I should mention that I have a VERY compliant jeweler!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi Upgradable, I took some quick pics of my lightbox set. The carrying case is about 9" x 10" x 3.5"wide. Sorry about the grainy pics - most of them were taken without a flash in low light conditions.

lightbox front.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
The lightbox folds into a pocket on the back.

lightbox back2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
2 tripod lights and the tabletop camera tripod fit inside, but there''s probably enough room for a digital caliper case and tweezers too.

lightbox open.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
cellantani,
Thanks for the info. I like your lightbox''s portability. I''ll look into it. Since I plan to shoot coloured stones, I''d also get fluorescent bulbs to interchange with the tungsten ones.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Once the tripod is exploded, it''s footprint is about 16" x 16", but it''s about 21" tall. My jeweler is also very obliging (gotta love that!), but I probably wouldn''t feel comfortable bringing a lightbox of that size. I would probably just bring my tabletop tripod and make sure the jewelry isn''t directly under a halogen spotlight. If you use the timer on your camera, you can shield the jewelry with your hand if there''s too much glare. However, if he has a back room and the space, I might consider it. I have to say, even with my amateur skills, I can get much more detail with the lightbox.

lightbox exploded.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 6:57:29 PM
Author: Harriet
cellantani,
Thanks for the info. I like your lightbox''s portability. I''ll look into it. Since I plan to shoot coloured stones, I''d also get fluorescent bulbs to interchange with the tungsten ones.

Harriet - Is it better to have flourescent light when shooting coloured stones? Is a combination of light better? And have you tried OTT lights?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Certain stones look better in incandescent light whilst others look better in fluorescent light. I have tried using a OTT light and really like it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well dang, Harriet, now I''m gonna have to get an OTT.
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are not expensive, plus they are multi-purpose. I use mine when I paint or draw. I forgot one more tool -- a UV light to test for fluorescence.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi, people who have contributed to this thread, do you use a lighted or non lighted loupe?
Any suggestion for middle of the range, and should I go for 20x ? Or just a high quality 10x?

Can someone pls tell me what a triplet loupe is? tia

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
arjunajane - I am still deciding what loupe to get, but I''m leaning towards an unlighted, 10x triplet. While a 20x does magnify more, I''ve read that you have to hold it (and the specimen) closer to your face, and this can block out a lot of light. So maybe if you''re going for the 20x, a lighted one would be better. Also, a 10x loupe has a larger field of vision than a 20x.

A triplet loupe has 3 lenses, and has better optics than a single lense. Have you dealt with any of the PS vendors? I''d find it worthwhile to call them and ask for loupe recommendations, but only if you report back here afterwards.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those to whom I''ve spoken say a 10x is good enough. Mine is unlighted, but I will buy a pocket torchlight.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Cellentani and Harriet.

Cellentani, I think I will just get a mid range 10x triplet, and will report back on whether I like it or no
5.gif

I did receive a 10x with my diamond purchase, but its just one of those promo - type ones (ie. not v. good).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results