shape
carat
color
clarity

suggestion for three-stone ring

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Sorry for posting a similar thing on two sub-discussion boards. I am looking for a three-stone (RB) ring, but I don't know whether to go with equal size center stone or slightly bigger ones. I do want maximum finger coverage (size 5 finger) in terms of width. Budget is $7000 to $8000; the setting on BGD costs around $1300, and that leaves about $6700 for diamonds. Would I be better off with 0.4/0.5 *2 + 0.8 or 0.7*3? I mostly want a 'thick diamond band' look.
Also, could someone recommend a particular setting from the BGD? I don't like it to be too high.
Thank everyeone in advance.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I personally like the look of a larger center. Somewhere there is a graphic showing proportion of different sized center stone/side stones...hopefully someone will post it as I am sure I cannot find it :)

as far as settings, which setting do you like?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi fantasyxy!

I have a 3 stone RB ring myself, and personally like the look of the side stones each being half the carat weight of the centre, like the '1.5ct centre with .75 sides' example in the picture, but no smaller. I think .80 with .40-.50 sides sounds awesome.
slg47, is this the picture you were thinking of, hun? :wavey:

3stonesratios.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a thick diamond band look, I would think that maybe a 5 stone would give you that look a little better and probably give more finger coverage. Just a thought.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you Dandi and slg47, the picture is a great help!
As for settings, probably 'crossed trillis' or 'open gallery accented'. (I prefer a prong at the end side of each side stone). However I couldn't tell from their website picture how the 'open gallery' looks like from top down or on a hand.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5448
Ideally I would like the setting to taper to something thinner or a tip at the top (where it connects to the diamond). Any other suggestions?

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker your read my mind. I am indeed waivering between three-stone or five-stone....
Here's the thing: I would still prefer three-stone if they can substantially cover my finger; they probably cannot cover it all up, don't know how much metal will be shown ~~
Five-stone: I've never tried them before; I'll probably have to go to a mall to see how it would look like on me. Let me begin my many questions about five stone:

That budget is enough for five 0.5 (approx) carat stone, but would a five-stone with 0.5 carat each too much for a size 5 finger? What diameter should I aim at? -- Since I'm buying online, and I am too shy to go to stores to try on many rings (esp. when I know I don't intend to buy from them).
And people say color doesn't matter that much for smaller diamonds, but when five stones lined-up, would I be siginificantly better off with five D/Es instead of five Hs? -- I don't think I'm too color-sensitive, e.g. for a solitaire I'd be happy with an H.
And another: how about a slightly bigger center diamond in five stone? Would that be good or not?

Finally, could someone please direct me to some posts where five-stone rings are shown?

Sorry to bombard your guys with questions!

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Well, thank you all, but there's a turn of event (probably a happy one): i was going to return a three-stone one that I ordered from WF (because the center stone 0.8 costs $5000 which I thought was a bit too much since I was able to find $3000-$4000 ones (with lower clarity and color but I don't mind those that much), but today I received the WF three-stone and it turns out to be quite pretty -- and I could see a difference between F and H under the sun and indoor. Is $5000 a good price for 0.8 hearts & arrow F, VVS2? I searched again and found that for that color and clarity grade it's probably a fair price. That one has smaller side stones because they're included in the set. Nevertheless, the sidestones are good ones and I could even see arrows in them.
We may buy an eternity band to go with it afterwards. Will post some pictures later.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
still need suggestion: honest comment please

Well it's me again; I never seem to know what to do.
I posted the pictues of my three-stone on some other discussion boards, and apparently people don't like it that much (to be fair, they are comparing it with a princess solitaire that we purchased at the same time --initially we wanted to pick one among the two, but we decided we could have two rings at once to spoil me; I'm keeping the princess for sure, but now i don't know if I should change this three-stone. I know that what counts most is my personal opinion, but I guess that my personal opinion relies a lot on other people's comments when it comes to things that I am unsure of.
Frankly, the ring does look not exactly to what I would consider as fitting my dream. I am not sure why, but I was in love with rings by Logan Sapphire (?) and some other's three-stone where there is almost full finger coverage. e.g. Yssie's ring is brilliant. Here's a picture of my ring:

I guess it's not possible to have exactly the same effect, given that I couldn't afford to have my finger completely covered by three-stone. I now wonder how five stone would look like on me. (BTW, I did find many posts of five stone by searching on this board!)
Your honest opinion about this ring please? I am not that sure of what I want yet.

compress RB hand.jpg

compress RB outside far.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I think it's stunning, but it is very much my style. How about a graduated 5 stone, would that give you more the effect you are after, but with more finger coverage? So say maybe .20, .40, .80, .40, .20 - not necessarily those sizes, but something like that? Or even keeping the ring as it is, but tacking another sidestone of the same size to each end, so a .80 with four equal size sidestones. SO many options! :loopy:

There's some awesome 5 stone deliciousness in this thread!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/[/URL]

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you Dandi. I think I would either go with a graduated five-stone or something with 0.3-0.4c. The thread that you referred to is amazing.
Will be back once I posted some pictues on 'show me the bling'

halocline

Rough_Rock
I personally prefer a less balanced look where there is more like a 4, or even 5, to 1 ratio between the center and sides. In this case the sides don't take away from the center stone, but provide the extra bling! I'm actually working with BGD right now having them make a 3 stone similar to a Scott Kay crown setting with fishtail pave in the shank. The CAD looks fantastic so I can't wait to see the finished piece.

fantasyxy

Rough_Rock
Halocline your ring looks beautiful!
I actually went with five stone; it will take two weeks

Now I cannot decide on my wedding band; perhaps will go for a plain band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results