shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestion for those trying to figure out how different sizes will look IRL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

Ok, I''m a bit of a newbie here but have been lurking for a while.

When I was trying to figure out what size stone to upgrade to I found lots of helpful threads with pictures but still found it really hard to get a feel for the size on my own hand - especially since I was upgrading and wanted to get a feel for how the new size would compare to my existing diamond.

If everyone has already figrued this out I''m going to feel like a right plonker but I found something really helpful and thought I''d share it - did people know you can use Microsoft Word to draw specific size shapes (e.g. circles) and set the size to within 0.1mm? I found this a HUGE help as I could draw out my existing stone size (a deep 0.64ct so 5.5mm x 5.5mm) and then draw a 0.8ct (6mm) and a 0.9ct(6.2mm) shape to compare.

I''m working off the 2008 version so apologies if this doesn''t work in the older version but if you go to ''inset'' and then ''shapes'', draw any old squiffy circle then right click on it and go to ''format auto shape'', then the ''size'' tab, you can type in the dimensions you want to the closest 0.1mm (eg 5.9mm, 6.0mm, 6.1mm etc).

If you want to be really sad (like me!) you can then cut these out, stick them on clear tape and position them on your finger (yes, best to do this in private!).

Clearly this is no substitute for trying on real rings becuase the real diamond always seems to look a bit bigger than it''s paper version but from a comparison standpoint I found it REALLY useful.

Just my 2p worth!

p.s. Do watch out though, I think my colleagues thought I was going nuts as I ended up with sheets of paper with nothing but circles on them lying around my desk together with yet more circles stuck to sticky tape
26.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry, others have done this very thing.
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, that is seriously really handy :) saves me drawing the shapes freehand :D

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
you are not going nuts... where i'm from we call this "being resourceful and innovative"..
21.gif

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:01:26 AM
Author: blastdoor
you are not going nuts... where i''m from we call this ''being resourceful and innovative''..
21.gif
I need to move to where you are - here I''m just plain nuts
25.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
....... I actually cut mine out of tin foil so they would be sparkley........
emembarrassed.gif

MajorlyChic

Rough_Rock
LOVE this idea, so I guess I am a little on the silly side myself:) ...I had already cut out a bunch of carat weights from a premade sheet I found on some thread on PS... but sticking them to tape is a genious idea; I kept trying to balance them on my fingers. My boyfriend refers to them as my "cut-outs."
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
LOL! As we speak I have a cut corner 18x15mm rectangle cut our of a fuchsia post-it that I am using as a gague for a colored stone ring!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
amazon also has a printable size chart that has most all of the diamond shapes and their mm sizes for different carat weights that works well too. you are definitely not the first to print out tiny paper circle and tape them to your finger
2.gif

here's a thread that links to the printable amazon chart if anyone is interested..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/actual-diamond-size.30626/

MajorlyChic

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/11/2009 8:31:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo
amazon also has a printable size chart that has most all of the diamond shapes and their mm sizes for different carat weights that works well too. you are definitely not the first to print out tiny paper circle and tape them to your finger
2.gif

here''s a thread that links to the printable amazon chart if anyone is interested..

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/actual-diamond-size.30626/

That''s the one I was talking about
9.gif

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
Oo, that is so great to know! I too have a little sheet full of circles sitting next to my computer...but they are done with a little mm measure tool and a pencil! This will be MUCH better!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I like to do mine in full colour, to scale, in CAD:
3.gif

Here''s one when I was fooling around with shapes for my sapphire...even though it seems silly to some, being able to visualize the ring on your finger goes a long way! On the right is my CAD drawing when I was working out melee and pear sizes....

Have fun! You wouldn''t be the first person walking around with bits of paper taped to your hand...I had RB''s for my studs taped to my ear lobes at one point!
LS

Foo206.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 2:36:33 PM
Author: mausketeer
....... I actually cut mine out of tin foil so they would be sparkley........
emembarrassed.gif
This is great. I have actually "tried" on my paper jewelry.
6.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I think there needs to be a support group established...
31.gif

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results