shape
carat
color
clarity

sugarloaf light blue sapphire...how to set it??? Dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lilo

Rough_Rock
Hello again ladies!

I took some quite awful pictures of the sugarloaf sapphire I found among my great grandfather''s possessions some years ago. My mum thought it was plastic (la mamma!!!), but I had it checked and weighed and they confirmed it was a 7.47 ct. natural sapphire with a sort of swirly inclusion (quite cool actually). Maybe it has been heated, I don''t know. It is a very pretty light blue almost lilac colour and measures about 12mm X 9mm and is 7mm deep. One side is ridged and the other one is smooth.

The question is How do I set it? I am a finger size 4, so it can''t be too wide a setting, but just a plain claw setting doesn''t feel right and I think might make the stone look cheap. What is the general thought? I love this setting, it so dreamy...http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=436, and this one too http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=469 *sigh*

I am sorry about the pictures but it''s never very sunny here and I took them under incandescent light on white background. The colour shows quite well though.

Lilo

Rough_Rock
I can''t seem to attach the piccies...sniff....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the picture..and yet it says there is an attached file... Are you sure it's a compatible format? (JPEG, etc)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried renaming the file?

I can''t wait to see pictures of it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about modified kite sides (my makeshift term for a kite with the top partially chopped off).

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Another sugarloaf :) Cool. can''t wait to see some photos.

Lilo

Rough_Rock
yes they are jpegs but for some reason it''s being difficult. I''m gonna try again

lilssugar.jpg

Lilo

Rough_Rock
yay!

lilsugar.jpg

Lilo

Rough_Rock
On my hand!Gosh the lighting is evil!!!

lilsugaragain.jpg

Lilo

Rough_Rock
sorry about the flash but that''s actually truer to the colour...
9.gif

sugarflash.jpg

Lilo

Rough_Rock
any ideas how much the stone could be worth? I had it valued at about 800-1200 GBP would you say that''s accurate?

Lilo

Rough_Rock
Also really idiotic question...which side is supposed to be up?
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pointy side up. That's why it's a sugarloaf.
9.gif

With a 7 ct stone on a size 4 finger, I probably won't do sidestones. Either plain metal with a design or some diamond accents on the shank.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
7 cts is pretty big, but I am tempted to try and add in a couple of sidestones. I would opt for a couple of darker blue tapered, french cut sapphires. I''ve put together a little montage for you to try and describe what I mean. My idea is a sort of amalgamation of a couple of these images. I included a closeup of the earrings and the 3 stone to show you what french cuts look like in detail. You might have to give your imagination a bit of a stretch to see what I am seeing! Maybe Mr Ma Re will chime in.

french cut montage.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Holly mother of God, I''m pretty confused myself. What I think you''re suggesting is, simply put, place side stones similar to tapered baguettes, but with a brilliant instead of a step cut pavillion and a checkerboard top, right? That would be the easiest way to describe french cuts I think.

I''m still not sure a substantial stone like this would be OK in a 3 stone ring on small fingers. I''d recommend pave diamonds on the shank instead, and a wider shank to visually balance the stone. Something similar in style to THIS.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Lucky you! Can''t quite see the shape in the pics but I can tell it''s a nice stone. I like the hand shot :) shows the size well. What about a super delicate halo? You could always set it into a pendant?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking of going with Leon? I think you could totally do small diamonds on the shank with nothing around the stone, or something similar to the PSers ring you have posted too.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I saw a 78 carat sugarload at Borsheims that was an estate piece. The prongs looked like ivy, and even had diamonds set in them! It was amazing!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 5:04:09 AM
Author: ma re
Holly mother of God, I''m pretty confused myself. What I think you''re suggesting is, simply put, place side stones similar to tapered baguettes, but with a brilliant instead of a step cut pavillion and a checkerboard top, right? That would be the easiest way to describe french cuts I think.

I''m still not sure a substantial stone like this would be OK in a 3 stone ring on small fingers. I''d recommend pave diamonds on the shank instead, and a wider shank to visually balance the stone. Something similar in style to THIS.
OK, it was late! I''m a bit confused myself this morning. Hopefully my suggestions are a little clearer this morning. I also like the idea of making a pendant - I think it would look lovely.

french cut montage 03.jpg

DianaBanana

Shiny_Rock
How about sending it to James Meyer - his cabochon rings are so beautiful! Here is my first attempt at a photo collage:

James Meyer website

JM take 2.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is certainly one substantial rock!! I love the James Meyer idea. Dreamy
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooooooooo I love the photos!

I think I''d be tempted to do something reasonably simple so the sugarloaf takes centre stage and doesn''t have much competition! I know it''s unlikely to have competition because of it''s size but maybe just a shank with french cuts in?

As a complete aside, can you tell me where you''ve managed to find such gorgeous french cuts like the one in the top right picture?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Love the sugar loaf!! JM rings are so yummy!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 2:03:56 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Oooooooooooooo I love the photos!

I think I''d be tempted to do something reasonably simple so the sugarloaf takes centre stage and doesn''t have much competition! I know it''s unlikely to have competition because of it''s size but maybe just a shank with french cuts in?

As a complete aside, can you tell me where you''ve managed to find such gorgeous french cuts like the one in the top right picture?
Soz LD! These days when I save a picture I make a note of where it came from. I''ve had this image saved for a while and I can''t remember where I found it. Maybe someone will recognise it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well I take that back! DiaGem posted the image in this thread

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 2:31:44 PM
Author: Gailey
Well I take that back! DiaGem posted the image in this thread
You''re a darling. Thank you

Lilo

Rough_Rock
Oh these rings are lovely!!! I was thinking French cut sapphire in a channel or bead-set band for the little cushion cut diamond I am getting from my jeweler (maybe next week he will have some I hope!!!), so I was more veering towards a simple claw setting in a nice maybe ornate basket and then a wider band with diamonds set into it to balance out, as ma re said. It would be pretty but have to be realistic about my hand size, otherwise I look ridiculous. I actually wanted to sell the stone, but had nt much luck doing that. Anyone interested?
2.gif
I tried to take it to Bonhams to sell it, but they said they have trouble selling loose coloured stones, so maybe setting it would be the right thing to do after all...
I think I would like something quite soft on this stone,not too geometric, since it''s such a soft blue, almost dreamy....
1.gif

If I could choose my preference would be a smaller square cushion medium blue sapphire, but I don''t thik anyone will swap....?
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilo,
Just so you know the finger width issue: I have a size 4.25 finger and am wearing a 10 mm square cushion stone set with very small micropave melees in a halo and down the shank. I only have 2 mm of skin showing on each side of my finger. This stone is going to have MAJOR finger coverage. Personally, I''d take the James Meyer bezel look to let the sugarloaf speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results