shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugarloaf Cabochon

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@hrose Thank you foe the suggestion, I will take a look at it :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Ugh-I think I may have fallen for a high dome lightning ridge opal! I have been wanting a sugarloaf cab of sorts for such a long time and haven't had too much luck finding one that speaks to me as of late( they seem to either be too small or too large for me). I am worried about the hardness of opals, so have not considered them in the past. Those of you who have opals set in rings, how have they fared?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.54.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 12.54.39 PM.png
So, I am still on the hunt for the perfect sugarloaf cab, but in the meantime I fell in love with opals. I was immediately drawn to black opals, but a crystal opal has now caught my eye.

Since I am new to opals, I am wondering if anyone see any issues or has any concerns with this stone? TIA

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@stepcutnut My experience with opals is limited but I love them too. :mrgreen2: The colours look really vivid and cover a good surface area of the opal at that angle. Do you have access to a video to see the play of colour as the opal moves around?
Hopefully others will jump on with their thoughts!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts @Niffler75 I have asked for a video :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results