shape
carat
color
clarity

Sugarloaf Cabochon

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I am in the beginning stages of looking for a sugarloaf cabochon for an upcoming project. It will be for an occasional wear ring and I am open to the type of gemstone at this point, just as long as it speaks to me :) So, I am wondering if anyone may have any vendor suggestions as to where I might begin my search? TIA

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi there! Sugarloaf cabs are pretty hard to come by, and I have yet to find a great vendor who reliably stocks them on the reg. Most that I see with lots of stock are Indian eBay sellers, so I stay away.

Do you have a color in mind? You could contact someone and ask them to cut a gemstone custom for you to get exactly what you want. Most cutters have ample rough in their stock. Ryan Quantz is the best cab cutter out there, IMO, and he can do a sugarloaf like nobody's business. Just Google him and you can contact him through your preferred method - IG, Etsy, etc.

I LOVE sugarloaf cabs so so so much. One thing I would consider is that even though it's an occasional-wear ring, cabs only take one good knock to chip. Just keep that in mind!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@woweezowee thank you for your suggestion, I looked at Ryan’s work and it is lovely! I am pretty open to color at this point :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second Ryan! He’s great and I’ve got a few things of his.
Also https://www.artcutgems.com/search.php
I’ve never dealt with them, but have lusted over his stuff often.

Paraiba International occasionally has them as well. I’ve purchased from them twice and he’s great to work with.

PS-where are you at on your gorgeous humongous moval diamond setting plans? If I may be so bold to ask? :)

Edit-marquise to moval. Oops!

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@whitewave thank you for all of the suggestions, I will check all of them out :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 Ryan would be my first choice.

I would also reach out to azurz on Instagram.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher so nice to hear a second vote for Ryan’w work, always so great to hear from happy customers! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you get from Ryan? I will check out your other suggestions as well :)

I am getting closer to finalizing a setting design for my moval. The past several weeks I have been second guessing my original design and wondering if something simpler would be a better option and get more wear.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun It sounds like Ryan would be a great choice, I will also check out azurz, thank you :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher so nice to hear a second vote for Ryan’w work, always so great to hear from happy customers! If you don’t mind me asking, what did you get from Ryan? I will check out your other suggestions as well:)

I am getting closer to finalizing a setting design for my moval. The past several weeks I have been second guessing my original design and wondering if something simpler would be a better option and get more wear.

simpler vs more ornate? That’s a tough one. I’m sure what you come up with will be lovely either way!

This is the 11+ carat chrysoprase I bought from Ryan

3418C2F9-A64A-4368-8F96-AF398B707223.jpeg
CDFEC59F-1A94-4A8C-A599-ADEF0C455FFA.jpeg

And I bought this aquaprase secondhand from sparkliesluvr who had Ryan refine the shape fantastically on
24CDC7D0-12EB-42FB-B8BF-05BE80E52074.jpeg
5C213121-EE47-46E8-AF17-748D48F278B7.jpeg 6BD9EC2F-0B2B-4779-9800-DAD3D92F5B86.jpeg
I also bought my blue sapphire from him, Although he didn’t cut it - both transactions were smooth and he’s extremely pleasant to talk to and deal with.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price-point? Hardness/durability...?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@LilAlex my price point is fairly open and I would prefer something durable. Spinel, sapphire are favs of mine :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex my price point is fairly open and I would prefer something durable. Spinel, sapphire are favs of mine :)

I would then also consider inquiring with Roger Dery, or Mastercut if they have something not listed. And of course Pala.
And if you haven’t found something you could always choose one of the people you’ve contacted to search the big gem shows. Enhoerning seems to be pretty successful in finding things for some here. And others also have found some amazing sapphires /spinels thru Middle East/Far East Instagram sellers

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher thanks for the suggestions-ai will check them out as well :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me any thoughts on emerald from Pakistan? I found a nice high dome oval cab and realize the hardiness isn’t there but do love the color and am unsure of material from this location and haven’t found much in my research.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering if anyone would mind giving me any thoughts on emerald from Pakistan? I found a nice high dome oval cab and realize the hardiness isn’t there but do love the color and am unsure of material from this location and haven’t found much in my research.

The emeralds from here are considerably cleaner than most emerald, and only Russian origin emeralds are cleaner (albeit less saturated in color). In my opinion, Panjshir emerald will last longer than Columbian due to get inclusions, it's just that for color and for size, Columbia is considered king.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking specifically for a sugarloaf or open to any high dome cab? The latter will probably open up more options. (Personally I wouldn't worry about a high dome emerald as long as it isn't heavily treated..emerald cabs are beautiful!)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@voce thank you for the info, appreciate it :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun my preference would be a sugarloaf cab, the emerald cab just spoke to me :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lilmosun As far as treatment the emerald cab is an F1, so not too worried about that part :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex my price point is fairly open and I would prefer something durable. Spinel, sapphire are favs of mine

Ok then, if you have an unlimited budget, here goes. There are very few great cabs now since anything even remotely facet-able gets heated and cut. I tthink you are better off looking at all-original Edwardian and Deco rings, etc. Some amazing stuff out there. Few people now want the understated look of a cab and much prefer the bling...

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@LilAlex I agree it is tough to find a nice gemmy cab and absolutely love Deco and Edwardian styles :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooooh Jason Brim has a sugarloaf that is ****ING AMAZING! He's giving it away for free if people buy the tourmaline.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@lovedogs That is a lovely sugarloaf! I haven't had much luck with vendor/cutters even getting back to me yet concerning any other options-but that amethyst is beautiful :) Thanks for the heads up on it!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooooh Jason Brim has a sugarloaf that is f*ckING AMAZING! He's giving it away for free if people buy the tourmaline.

It is!
And circling back to Ryan Quantz, earlier post from Jason has a sugarloaf turquoise by Ryan. I’d stalk the buyer if I knew whom it was. Dangerous!=)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Rfisher That turquoise was also a beauty!

Last edited:

hrose

Shiny_Rock
Just saw one in a a bunch of chrysoprase from Desert Rose gems if you are interested in that color green

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results