shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid Question- Rainbow versus Luster

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this is embarrassing :oops: but I don't know, so I'm asking:

Is luster the same thing as rainbows? If I order pearls with a "high luster" does this mean they will be all rainbowy? Or does this mean they will just be shiny?

Is there a word for superior rainbow orient or do I just look for "rainbow"?

Is rainbow an overtone?

I'm not clear on these . . . I think I need a pearl glossary . . .

It means shiny....

What are you thinking about that you want rainbow on it? For tahitians it's called peacock.

I think what you are thinking of is "orient"

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Not a stupid question, iLander, I am not 100% clear on some of these terms, either. I still find myself using words like "shiny" "mirror-ish"
etc. when I should be using "lustre".

And am I clear now in thinking orient = colour? Or, rainbowness of colour? (ha, obviously NOT clear)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Okay, talk S-L-O-W-L-Y to me:

If I want the rainbows I ask for "strong rainbow orient". Right?

whitehotblank

Shiny_Rock
Someone please answer this! /div

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1290164041|2772689 said:

Oh, thanks LG, that was very helpful! A quick summary: The multi-color effect is called the orient on light-colored pearls and it's called the overtone on dark colored pearls. So if I am buying white pearls, I want a rainbow orient, on dark pearls I want a rainbow overtone.

Thank you for clarifying LG! :appl:

The effect is made by little tiny concentric rings on the surface of the pearl, similar in shape to fingerprints.

My thought: The little rings must be what we feel when we rub pearls on our teeth (?).

However, it is VERY hard to find a full rainbow effect on white pearls. Usually it's rose.. or rose and green... nothing like a peacock tahitian 8)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am still not clear about orient. There are so many posts in the other forum about orient and the more I read the more confuse I get. I thought the irridescense from light FW and akoya are called overtone, like ivory, rose, silver. I don't know if I've actually seen orient on light colored pearls. It was said in the other forum that orient is like soap bubble effect, if I remember correctly, like all kinds of colors showing up at once.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I think if you say overtones for both light colour and dark pearls the vendor will understand what you're looking for. Rainbow overtones on light colour pearls will be scrumptious!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results