shape
carat
color
clarity

stupid excesses

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: AGSHF

RE: travel/hotel shampoo collections. donate them to homeless shelters, etc. ; they are usually welcome in these facilities.
Great tip, AGSHF!
1.gif

widget

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow *blush* now I'm shy about spilling my dirty little habits ... mostly 'cause I JUST NOW realized how RIDICULOUS it is ... Body/Hand lotions & creams. The reason it's SO SILLY is that I NEVER use them. I *hate* the way lotion feels on & wash my hands so much it always comes right back off again & feels so slimy coming off in the wash. Which turns me off of putting some back on. YET - somehow I'm always buying more - thinking that *this one* will be different ... the magic, non-greasy, perfectly smelling one. I have bottles all over the house that get - ugh - DUSTY and try to clean off a greasy lotion bottle = blech.

I think I have pretty moist skin already - cause I really don't "need" lotion too often. But now that I'm cooking more - my HANDS do ... and this winter my legs & feet have been suffering a bit.

The legs are another whole deal - cause my DOGGIE loves to lick the flavored lotions off .. so I'm always shooing her away too

Oh my gosh I'm a nut-ball!
3.gif

ETA -- HA! Thought of another one: TEAS ... I have a cabinet full o' different flavors & types & loose & bags etc etc and I NEVER DRINK TEA!!! I *want* to be the person who "unwinds" with a hot cuppa tea in the eves ...but HAHAHAH! I am *so not* that person!
31.gif

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 11:10:09 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
My latest thing... spices! Ever since I discovered Penzeys spices! I frequent the Cooks Illustrated web forums and all of their serious cooks kept raving about spices. I learned that most spices only keep their good flavor for 6 months (oops, most of mine were 2 years old.) So I placed an order, and now I am addcted! ...

Haha, me too! FI makes fun of the amount of different spices in our cabinet. And I don''t even own a spice rack, so they''re in shoe boxes and stacked all over the place. I have at least three things of basil plus a basil plant, for example. And about four things of cinnamon, but they''re all different and I use them for slightly different things. My latest obsession is this cayenne/salt mix that my mom sent me. It''s great on chicken and potatoes -- I''ve been cutting up potatoes, tossing them with a bunch of spice and a little olive oil, and then baking them. Mmmmm.

I also hoard flour (mostly all-purpose and bread).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 3:59:21 PM
Author: decodelighted
I *hate* the way lotion feels on
deco, you may want to try this. It''s the only lotion I''ve found that truly soaks in. NO greasy feeling, just silky smooth, literally. I have the Coconut and Vanilla scent (yummy), but they carry 5 different ones. (check the drop down box)

http://www.seacretspa.com/body-care/body-lotion.html

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2007 9:45:17 PM
Author: WTNLVR
I hoard all the soaps and shampoo bottles we get at hotels. I have a drawer overflowing with them. Some of them are from years ago. I almost never use them, but they stay in the drawer. I think I have about 10 shower caps. Can't remember the last time I ever used one! I really should go through that drawer tomorrow and toss everything. It's not like shampoo/soap is expensive! I'm laughing now that I actually am thinking about it.

This is too funny! I used to have a job where I traveled 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year, and I would bring home every mini bar of soap, bottle of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion. Until last year we hadn't bought any of that stuff since 1999. Most of the hotels I stayed at were Hiltons and I like the Neutrogina products so it wasn't like I was using something that I didn't like just to use it. But the soap--we stil have (literally) hundreds and hundreds of bars of it in our bathroom. We might never get through it all...

I can't think of anything I buy excessively but I'll take a look in my closet and the bathroom next time I'm upstairs and see if I'm just missing something!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I was good and tossed a bunch of junk today. Some of the bottles of shampoo were so old, there was no shampoo left in the bottle! Donating is a great idea, but these weren''t usable. I also noticed we have about 20 tooth brushes! I like the hard bristles which are hard to find, so when I find them ,I buy them. Now I have enough to last about 5 years considering I usually use my electric toothbrush now
23.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL....Sally Hansen Diamond Shine Lip Gloss (aabout $5.00) in Always Asscher....I love it so much and use it all the time that when I see one, I buy it...I have like 4 rolling around in my bag I don''t care....I just bought one yesterday!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG some of these are so funny LOL And a lot of them I''m guilty of to one extent or another as well LOL I use to always have 40 bottles of shampoo/cond in my shower but I''ve developed a sensitivity and as much as I hate it, I just stick to one now because I know I won''t react to it...

I will confess another really super ridiculous hoarding issue I have had.... it seems to be curbed *mostly* here at the new house but it''s just too insane not to share anyway LOL

Boxes. Anytime we got something that had a cardboard box of some unique size or what*ever* I would take it in the spare room and put it in my box stack. You know - for ust in case I needed to send something.... well the sad thing is twofold: One, the stack went to the *ceiling* and was boxes inside of boxes -a woman obsessed!! and really super pathetic thing #2: I have a reputation amongst my friends of being *horrible* about sending things off in the mail so it wasn''t like I actually ever USED any of these boxes I was saving. ::hides face in shame:: LOL

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are lipsticks, pens, light bulbs and ceramic Christmas trees. I have more of them than I'll be able to use in my lifetime.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
MAC lipglasses and Chapstick...I have at least 4 or 5 in my purse right now...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2007 7:55:15 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Boxes. Anytime we got something that had a cardboard box of some unique size or what*ever* I would take it in the spare room and put it in my box stack. You know - for ust in case I needed to send something.... well the sad thing is twofold: One, the stack went to the *ceiling* and was boxes inside of boxes -a woman obsessed!! and really super pathetic thing #2: I have a reputation amongst my friends of being *horrible* about sending things off in the mail so it wasn''t like I actually ever USED any of these boxes I was saving. ::hides face in shame:: LOL

Oh this is a good one! Yes, I definitely hoard boxes. No necessarily boxes to ship things in, but boxes to wrap presents in. And bags too--you just never know when you''re going to need to put something in a bag and carry it somewhere. My husbands jokingly refers to the bags of bags and the boxes of boxes that we have in the garage.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
speaking of hand lotions, I searched for so long to find one I liked. I finally found Aveeno Intensive Relief Hand Cream. It is the only one I use now and it is awesome! Around $5 at drugstores. Non-greasy.

I hoard lip balms! I have about 20 of them, all different scents.

elsie

Shiny_Rock
I like to hoard different kinds of teas. I just love all the combinations of flavors they have for herbal teas and such! I had so much when FI moved in that he had to convince me that we had enough to last us for a while ("but, but... what if I want cinnamon-raspberry-coconut one morning???").

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 3:59:21 PM
Author: decodelighted
Oh wow *blush* now I''m shy about spilling my dirty little habits ... mostly ''cause I JUST NOW realized how RIDICULOUS it is ... Body/Hand lotions & creams. The reason it''s SO SILLY is that I NEVER use them. I *hate* the way lotion feels on & wash my hands so much it always comes right back off again & feels so slimy coming off in the wash. Which turns me off of putting some back on. YET - somehow I''m always buying more - thinking that *this one* will be different ... the magic, non-greasy, perfectly smelling one. I have bottles all over the house that get - ugh - DUSTY and try to clean off a greasy lotion bottle = blech.

I think I have pretty moist skin already - cause I really don''t ''need'' lotion too often. But now that I''m cooking more - my HANDS do ... and this winter my legs & feet have been suffering a bit.

The legs are another whole deal - cause my DOGGIE loves to lick the flavored lotions off .. so I''m always shooing her away too

Oh my gosh I''m a nut-ball!
3.gif

ETA -- HA! Thought of another one: TEAS ... I have a cabinet full o'' different flavors & types & loose & bags etc etc and I NEVER DRINK TEA!!! I *want* to be the person who ''unwinds'' with a hot cuppa tea in the eves ...but HAHAHAH! I am *so not* that person!
31.gif

Deco- you MUST try The Body Shop''s Protective Hand Treatment- I hate hand lotions that are really fragrant and feel slimy when I wash my hands. This stuff is great! It has a really light clean scent, isn''t greasy at all/absorbs right away (I can slide my rings on right after & it doesn''t gunk them up), keeps your hands soft after you wash but doesn''t feel slimy during, and you only need a pearl sized amount each time. I buy it for all my friends & female family members, although my DH could benefit from a little hand cream lol.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2007 7:06:39 PM
Author: Mara
i think michelle carmen had a similar topic to this about a year or so ago, like what do you have a ton of kinda thing...i think hers was face cream and face stuff.
hehehe. . .my current obsession is fingernail polish! lol I purchased five bottles just this week alone and am becoming neurotic about finding reds that are just slightly more blue red or slightly more deep wine red than ones I currently have. lol :)

And, also like Diamond Fan, I have loads of makeup. For a few months, all I could think about was collecting blushes and now I have close to (or possibly even more than) 50, and have grown bored of them and have moved onto the fingernail polishes. My husband was recently looking for something and came across my stockpile of cosmetics and actually informed me that I "have a problem." lol But, he has an unnecessary amount of tools, though, so I do not think he is in the position to talk!
3.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Molly, Rosebud has a new minted salve, have you tried it?

Molly1024

Shiny_Rock
DF, I hadn''t heard of a mint Salve- I tried the Strawberry, which I liked, but I prefer the regular salve because I can use it on my cuticles, keep my eyebrows groomed & moisturize dry spots in a fix.

Janice61

Rough_Rock
I am a fashion and home decor magazine addict. I buy about 15 per month and more when the major issues come out in the Fall and Spring. British Tatler and Harpers and Queen, French and British Elle, Italian Vogue, Architectual Digest...etc. It is an expensive habit but oh so enjoyable!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 8:10:20 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Oh this is a good one! Yes, I definitely hoard boxes. No necessarily boxes to ship things in, but boxes to wrap presents in. And bags too--you just never know when you''re going to need to put something in a bag and carry it somewhere. My husbands jokingly refers to the bags of bags and the boxes of boxes that we have in the garage.
OK, I don''t do it anymore, but I used to be a box whore. That is, until we moved from our first home. I had filled an entire coal bin in the basement, and then some. Well, actually a lot.
9.gif

Hubby was NOT happy. So, I''ve really cut it down. It''s hard though, you never know when you''ll need that certain size box....

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hoard 2 things: diaper wipes, and hand sanitizer. I have stacks upon stacks of both in my closet at home. If the End Time ever comes and basic necessities like power and water are unavailable, at least me and my family will be CLEAN! lol.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I have a couple obsessions.

But first - the rose salve mint balm is the BOMB!

1. Lipgloss. I have at least 10 in my bag right now. And at least 25 in my makeup case at home. I LOVE lipgloss.

2. Nailpolish - when I see a color I like...I buy it. And often forgot that I had previously bought it before.

and finally (and most embarassingly)

3. Office supplies. I''m totally serious. Pens and tabs in particular. I love a good pen. LOVE. When I find one I like I''ll buy ''em all up. And I have fun colored legal pads. And a mulititude of post-its and various tabby things. Love them. I can spend hours and hundreds of dollars in Office Depot.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
HAH! The first thing I thought of was Toilet paper. It''s funny that I am not alone in this.

Yeah, the big Charmin pack from the Costco works wonders! I''m never out. Not that I think I ever could be.
6.gif
Rolls are in about every closet!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
OMG some of these are so funny LOL And a lot of them I''m guilty of to one extent or another as well LOL I use to always have 40 bottles of shampoo/cond in my shower but I''ve developed a sensitivity and as much as I hate it, I just stick to one now because I know I won''t react to it...

I will confess another really super ridiculous hoarding issue I have had.... it seems to be curbed *mostly* here at the new house but it''s just too insane not to share anyway LOL

Boxes - me too! I can''t throw out a nice box. I keep the nice ones for gifts and the holidays. I have tons of them in the attic. Probably a fire hazard.

Jackets - I love jackets and blazers. Just today I was out "grazing the stores" and laughed at myself because I headed
straight to the jackets. I''ve decided I do that because it''s easier to buy a jacket than pants or other items.

Body lotion - I just keep buying it - not the expensive stuff, but whatever you can get at the drugstore or grocery store.

Shoes - Why do I need another pair ?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have started hoarding teas too. DECO, let''s have a tea party and put some of this to good use!

I actually used to think I hated tea...turns out I just hate crappy tea.
2.gif

Black Currant
Champagne Raspberry Darjeeling
Blueberry
Apple Cider
Earl Grey w/ Orange Pekoe
Pomegranate...

I could go on!!

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
Anything that smells good! I am a complete scent whore. Candles, soaps, perfume, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, scented oil plug ins, air freshner...I could go on and on. Bath and Body Works stock goes up whenever I walk in the door!
31.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a few. I'm a project person... I rarely if ever finish a project the first time I sit down to do it... so I accumulate. I love beads and fabrics... I LOVE housewares/dining/kitchen wares-- but am on a strict ban. Shoes.

But I have to say I'm the worst about home magazines. I love Traditional Home and Decor and Veranda... I don't have subscribtions... because they are the magazine type thing I have a hard time throwing out... except for Romance Novels. I have over 1000 romance novels of them in my house right now... more in storage, more in NJ.

Okay. So romance novels. I just read, and re-read, and occasionally I'll trade in... but mostly I keep them. Hoard them, honestly.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2007 2:35:18 PM
Author: littlelysser
3. Office supplies. I''m totally serious. Pens and tabs in particular. I love a good pen. LOVE. When I find one I like I''ll buy ''em all up. And I have fun colored legal pads. And a mulititude of post-its and various tabby things. Love them. I can spend hours and hundreds of dollars in Office Depot.
oh oh oh this is me too!!!! for years and years I''ve wanted a job that justifies needing this stuff.... I wanna be a paper pusher LOL

taitai_s

Rough_Rock
OMG, this is a funny thread!

1. sheer pink nailpolishes - I have all kinds of shades, shimmers, whatever, but really they all look the same! Just gotta have it - Essie, Chanel, random brands from beauty stores in Hong Kong...
2. lipglosses - love them! Used to buy the $1 e.l.f. ones obsessively, like they were going to be discontinued or something. They are pretty good actually! Also the Chanel ones, and the super minty CO Bigelow ones....
3. Muji pens - They come in all kinds of colors; the pen''s this minimalist translucent barrel. I must buy 20 or 30 at a time when I am in a Muji store, whether I need them or not!
4. Theory dress shirts when on sale. I absolutely go nuts for them when I find my size; I have never seen any other fabric and cut that comes close.

Thankfully I have kicked the mini shampoo and conditioner habit (unless they are the ones from Molton Brown or from Bulgari -- heaven!!!) and the Theory Preston C pants "must buy" mentality (at this point I probably have a pair in every color - have to stop, right?).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well for crying out loud. I keep reading this thread thinking I have to have some ONE thing I am obsessive over or buy too much of, but I can''t think of anything! I think there is something wrong with me....my DH is a total spender and can never have enough of x, y, or z, but apparently I am the frugal one and if I honestly don''t need it I won''t buy it. I think the only thing I get crazy over are gifts to others...I obsess for weeks and weeks before friends'' birthdays or Christmas or holidays like Mother''s or Father''s day on the right thing to give, and to me it always has to be something I put major thought into. That is probably my biggest shopping issue, I guess...for myself I can obsess about something for a year or more until I actually buy it. I think I get it from my father, who would only ever pay cash for a car, and then he had to research it for months and months using every resource available until he settled on the "right" one...

Even though I don''t have kids yet, I can see myself getting all tied up in designer baby clothes, I''ve already decided on themes for baby''s rooms, what stores I want to register at, etc. I never thought about my own wedding this much...and I am not even that crazy about kids! It''s just a thing I know I will obsess over and get seriously excited about, though.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 4:20:34 PM
Author: Blenheim

Date: 1/28/2007 11:10:09 AM
Author: *Lindsey*
My latest thing... spices! Ever since I discovered Penzeys spices! I frequent the Cooks Illustrated web forums and all of their serious cooks kept raving about spices. I learned that most spices only keep their good flavor for 6 months (oops, most of mine were 2 years old.) So I placed an order, and now I am addcted! ...
that is so funny, my MIL just found the Penzeys store and cant stop talking about it. she sends me home with catalogues all the time....i havent gotten into it yet. Maybe once we get into our house and i actually have a real kitchen!

i have two obsessions....
1) body lotion, granted i use it, but not as much as i buy it. bath and body, l''occitaine, body shop....doesnt matter, i buy multiple bottles of EVERYTHING!
2) eye shadow palettes, any of the combo packs of eyeshadow, blush, lip gloss, benefit always has cute ones, so does sephora.....I dont need to buy individual eyeshadows because i have so may ''package sets''. Antrhopolgie always puts the fresh ones on sale at 40% off and today i went to fred segal and bought 4 sets of too faced (they are having their 50% sale)....oh, and the kicker....i rarely wear any makeup other than tinted moisurizer!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results