shape
carat
color
clarity

Stumbled across this find just now in my searches...what do YOU think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hot4teacher

Rough_Rock
Does this seem too good to be true?

It matches my criteria very well. I do wonder what an "I color" will do on a platinum setting...

Ideal cut and a 1.1 on the HCA (Was shooting for 0-2)
IF clarity (Was looking for IF -> VS2)
I color (probably why the good deal...had focused on D -> H)
.924ct (Looking for .7 -> .99ct...magic numbers)

Right in my budget too.

I also have been looking at these.

A

B

C

D

E

Thoughts? Comments? It''s been a while since my first post here, in which I was concerned about buying over the Internet and the impersonal experience it could be, but I''ve been lurking and doing a lot of reading and discussion it with my girlfriend, and we are comfortable with going ahead and buying from one of the always mentioned jewelers here.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Dana

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

It seems you have done some terrific homework and are very much ready to pull the trigger on a diamond! Colour can impact price greatly - so I would imagine the price on the WF diamond is correct - it is a beauty by the way! All of your choices look good, Good Old Gold are also an excellent vendor and you can buy with confidence from them or WF. there is a thread of J stones in platinum I will try to find which face up beautifully white, an I is white enough for most eyes, but it depends on the eyes of the beholder. You can't get an accurate idea on a computer monitor, but it might give you some idea. The trade believes that an I is where the lay person can begin to perceive colour, particularly a tiny hint from the side, but that said there are plenty of happy I J and K owners out there - cut makes these colours face up extremely well! It depends which band you and your GF fall into as to whether you NEED a colourless diamond to be happy with it, or that a lower colour would be fine. See if you can see some similarly graded diamonds - eg - GIA or AGS graded to look at in person to see where your preferences are colourwise.

Maybe something like the G VS might be a safe middleground?

Here you go J colour diamonds in platinum

hot4teacher

Rough_Rock
Wow Lorelei! An amazing thread with some amazing stones!!! That makes it very hard for me to show patience now after looking at all of those beautiful rings and diamonds (and I''m still having a hard time accepting most were J''s!)

I guess being face up white is a deal maker for this diamond in particular. Does a good cut make the possibility of it being a ''better'' color than it was graded?

Thanks again!

Dana

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome Dana
16.gif
Diamonds are colour graded face down, but an excellent cut will help the diamond to appear whiter in a face up position, so a super cut I such as the one you are considering will look generally whiter to some observers than it's lesser cut counterpart. It is thought by some that blue fluorescence can help too - I am in the camp that loves fluoro!
30.gif
Also we can consider a diamond colour being a 'low I ' which means it could be borderline J colour, or a ' high I' which means it might be borderline H etc. The vendors such as GOG and WF will be able to advise on a case by case basis. So a well cut I might appear to be a better colour than it was graded in a mounted and face up position.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure exactly what your budget is...but if you want to go a bit bigger...I like these:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=997675 (1.08, I, VVS2, $5940 - less $ if you ask for the PS discount and wire the money directly)

Ooh, or this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-78285.htm# (1.15 I VS2 $5656)

Or: http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-155619.htm (1.05 H VS2 $5665)

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I think the diamond you''re looking at will be fine in an I color. I just purchased an I from Whiteflash that''s a bit smaller than the one you''re looking at, and I''m very pleased with it. I have mine set in white gold and it doesn''t look yellow at all. I can detect some color from the side especially when I compare it to my F colored diamond, but I wouldn''t hesitate to buy another I colored diamond and save some money!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results