shape
carat
color
clarity

stud earring queustion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha...both have the same angle but table makes one higher than the other. So matching ca and tables solves this, right?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 7:46:55 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

But putting that aside, say you have similar tables and diameter. Do the crown and pavilion angles need to be the same on both? Is the lgf number something that is good to match up? Do you look for something different in earring stones than ring stones?

The only reason I am asking all this is that I occasionally see some mention that Garry likes different measurements for earring stones than ring stones. Yet I am not sure I've seen examples of exactly what that means.

Always match up mm diameter and table size. That's what people will see face up.

Crown and pavilion angles needn't be identical, just keep them in a similar range for performance.

LGF? Now we're getting pretty micro for tiny stones.
1.gif
Shallower diamonds often have longer LGF with traditional manufacture so if you match up similar c/p angles with one vendor you're usually going to be in the same LGF ballpark. You can always ask of course.

Garry and others prefer shallower stones as earrings or pendant (rather than rings) because they are subject to less obstruction (head shadow) when on the ear, they are bright and perform better when dirty. We're still talking about configurations with typically well-regarded c/p combinations.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 8:04:19 PM
Gotcha...both have the same angle but table makes one higher than the other. So matching ca and tables solves this, right?
Bingo. You can even have the same table sizes and slightly different crown angles because PA or girdle thickness might be slightly different.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''m interested to hear more about the original topic.

I can say that I have earrings of .15 each (approx), gift from when I was young. They''re not all that well cut, and I really really really want bigger studs. I don''t wear mine too often, but mostly b/c I almost lost one last year and I need to get new backs. I keep thinking I''ll get them set in white gold bezels to give them more size, but then I think I should save my $$ towards bigger studs!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 8:00:52 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 11/29/2006 7:46:55 PM

HI, John! I think I might be more confused than I already was! If those both have a 34.5 crown angle, then I would not have thought about one having a high crown and one having a low crown. But I guess it is because of the tables being so different, and I would not be looking at tables that diverse anyway.
Ok DS. One thing at a time.
1.gif

34.5 is the slope.
From the girdle that slope runs up to the table.
If the table is smaller it takes more slope to get there, thus a higher crown.

Here are wire frame simulations of my two examples.
John -- This is really helpful information. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for using the drawings. This info applies to RB but also affects cushion cut too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 3:08:20 PM
If I were looking for $400 earrings, I''d get hoops with tiny diamonds. I wouldn''t want bad quality studs, and tiny ones that can''t be upgraded wouldn''t have much of a point either, unless she has two holes and would wear them with other earrings.
Getting back to the origional topic. I must agree with DS. I had a pair of small studs and was able to upgrade them (many years ago) at a store that took other store''s diamonds as trade ins. I don''t think that''s as easy to do nowdays. I am much happier with the .5tcw studs. And I am petite and have small ears. So go with something upgradeable.

Maybe your wife will upgrade in quality and not size or maybe she''ll never upgrade but she''ll have that option.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results