shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Flourescence???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
What do you all think of an H princess cut diamond with strong flourescence??? I read somewhere you should never go above medium flourescence but it seems that a lot of people here like strong flourescence... what are your thoughts? Thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I happen to love fluorescence I wish my diamond had some. As long as the stone doesn''t appear hazy or milky I''d take one in a heartbeat. usually they are priced a little lower b/c it''s still viewed by many as a negative.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may also help the stone face up a bit brighter.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish my stone has fluorescence; they are so hard to find in fancy cuts. I''d take one in a heartbeat whether it is a higher coloured diamond or in a warmer one. Many say that a lower coloured diamond can look whiter if it has strong fluorescence. You would also get a slight price break too as the market assumes that many people don''t like it.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
So it seems that most of you like flourescence, would the strong flourescence make an H diamond look whiter or would it make it blue? I don''t want my diamond to look blue but I would definately be happy getting the H color price and getting a nice white diamond.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 12:59:23 PM
Author:candlelite80
What do you all think of an H princess cut diamond with strong flourescence??? I read somewhere you should never go above medium flourescence but it seems that a lot of people here like strong flourescence... what are your thoughts? Thanks!
Assuming it''s blue fluorescence, as long as it''s a strong lab doing the grading (GIA/AGS for example), this can help face-up appearance in near-colorless (G-J) stones. The actual diamond must be seen to determine the impact. Many people love this quality as long as it doesn''t cause the diamond to appear milky or oily, which only occurs in a fraction of cases and usually those are ''very strong'' (extremely rare, but a reasonable question).

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 1:25:58 PM
Author: candlelite80
So it seems that most of you like flourescence, would the strong flourescence make an H diamond look whiter or would it make it blue? I don''t want my diamond to look blue but I would definately be happy getting the H color price and getting a nice white diamond.

My diamond has strong blue fluor and is an H color and it is WHITE, WHITE, WHITE in all lighting except sunlight. In sunlight it takes on the most beautiful shade of violet. The picture in my current avatar is of my diamond in direct sunlight capturing the strongest "color" I see in it. However, at work, inside the apartment, in restaurants, etc . . . it is just sparkly and white.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 12:59:23 PM
Author:candlelite80

I was very happy to find an antique cushion with strong blue fluor. It''s an H, and is really white. As long as you are dealing with a reputable vendor who has the stone in-house, and a good return policy, I would certainly not reject a great stone simply because it has strong blue-- in fact, it could be a big bonus.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
MrsS and SDL, I did want to note that we typically describe the small number of negatively effected diamonds as ''milky or oily'' rather than hazy. The reason is because some diamonds with notable fluorescence display what some describe as a blueish ''haze'' or ''glow'' in bright sunlight. Many can find this attractive, unlike the milky or oily look which is viewed as undesirable.

Not anything official, just observations which may be pertinent to communicating on an internet forum.
1.gif

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to everyone for the information, I am going to ask to see a diamond with strong flourescence next time I stop at my jeweler so I can get an idea of what it looks like. Thanks again!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask the vendor if the flour is impacting performance. It's very rare that it would be, but the vendor should be able to tell you right away if the flour is a problem. If it's not, then I bet the stone is going to be gorgeous! I think blue flour is stunning on a diamond and really gives it that a wonderful icey blue color in sunlight.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
My OEC is a G with strong blue fluorescence. It is a shimmery white in indoor lighting and a pastel glowing violet blue in daylight..a glow but no haze, still crystal clear. I like it in the OEC, which is a different type of stone from my RBC e-ring anyway. Frankly, for my e-ring, I went for an E, no fluorescence because for day in and day out wear, I want something icy white. I find the violet a bit commital. Maybe in an H it would be less apparent.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/27/2007 3:45:29 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I would ask the vendor if the flour is impacting performance. It''s very rare that it would be, but the vendor should be able to tell you right away if the flour is a problem. If it''s not, then I bet the stone is going to be gorgeous! I think blue flour is stunning on a diamond and really gives it that a wonderful icey blue color in sunlight.
Try to compare the Diamond to other non-fluo. Diamonds of similar weight and quality...
Be your own judge....

I personaly love the phenomena...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Don''t be afraid of it! I have a strong blue D and I love it. I also have a G with medium and it''s great.

What is important is that you examine the stone you are considering in a variety of lighting conditions to make your decision. In my opinion the strong blue fluorescence will look different on different stones and just cause one looks good does not mean the one you are actually considering will look good.

I have seen strong blue that I did not like too.

Overall I would totally prefer a strong blue, but it''s gotta be the *right* one.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Jeff {blush} . . . I do love it . . . now I wish he would just put that thing on my finger already.
9.gif

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hikerchick's stone is indeed beautiful and the fluoro such a lovely shade of blue.

Stones with strong fluoro need to be looked at in person to ensure they are:
1. Not hazy or cloudy
2. That the fluoro is indeed a colour that appeals to you. Blue is the most common but even so ther are different shades. It's splitting hairs but some people are perfectionists!

In a stone of H colour, fluoro may also make it look more 'white' faceup in brightsunlight.

Fluoro used to be frowned upon because some people do not like it and also because traditionally, a high-colour stone with strong fluoro was priced more cheaply. However, diamonds are a matter of personal preference. If you love it and the fluoro AND it's cheaper - then it's a win-win situation. Many people on the forum love a stone with fluoro. So if you love it (although HikerChick has one of the best examples out there!!!) then go for it. If you don't like fluoro then... well don't :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results