shape
carat
color
clarity

STRMRDR - Bobby Fischer of diamonds???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Many on this awesome site have helped to educate me, provide me with options, advice, and pshchological counsel, so I hate to single out one person, but seriously it seems to me like this guy (or girl) STRMRDR is some sort of diamond genius. I read your posts religiously, even though almost every single one of the is completely over my head. I don''t know what you do for a living, but DANG you know a ton about this stuff.

Do you ever take random helpless, clueless, indecisive but really, really nice and caring guys in as charity cases and talk them through the process, maybe even pick a winner of a stone for them?? I only ask b/c in the short time I''ve lurked and then posted here, I''ve already decided that I''m not getting any diamond without your stamp of approval. The AGS or GIA cert is all well and good, but in my brain somehow it aint jack compared to your approval. It''d be a quicker process if I could just focus on those stones you''ve preapproved ... I''m just sayin'' ...

Anyway, you''re the man ... or woman.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 12:08:15 AM
Author:danny0927
Many on this awesome site have helped to educate me, provide me with options, advice, and pshchological counsel, so I hate to single out one person, but seriously it seems to me like this guy (or girl) STRMRDR is some sort of diamond genius. I read your posts religiously, even though almost every single one of the is completely over my head. I don''t know what you do for a living, but DANG you know a ton about this stuff.

Do you ever take random helpless, clueless, indecisive but really, really nice and caring guys in as charity cases and talk them through the process, maybe even pick a winner of a stone for them?? I only ask b/c in the short time I''ve lurked and then posted here, I''ve already decided that I''m not getting any diamond without your stamp of approval. The AGS or GIA cert is all well and good, but in my brain somehow it aint jack compared to your approval. It''d be a quicker process if I could just focus on those stones you''ve preapproved ... I''m just sayin'' ...

Anyway, you''re the man ... or woman.
He''s the man, and he''ll be happy to help you I''m sure. Good luck!!
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Danny hopefully storm will see this and chime in! I bet he'll help you out, he looooves diamonds! But I do recall on your other thread that he said something like, "call Jon at Good Old Gold, he is the asscher man." So maybe that should be your first step? Then Storm can help you choose between the stone that Jon shows you?

Can't wait to see what you pick!
DD
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! thanks for the kind words.

I''m a guy :}

That is what I am here for is too help people and learn kewl stuff :}
I will be happy too help you as much as I can.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
fill me in on where you are in the process at this time.

I checked a couple threads and it looked like your looking at asschers and a open setting too showcase the stone with a budget of around $2500?
Are you still shopping local or do you want too go with an online vendor?

danny0927

Rough_Rock

STRMRDR - I had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread! I''m urked ... maybe i need a roll call of your fans so this''ll stay up. anyway, it''s all true, you''re the man!

I''m going to get the stone online for sure, mostly because the price difference compared to the store I''ve talked with in town is significant. I may get the setting online too, but i''m not sure. I basically want a halo that is "open" and has a thin band (is that the right word?). thinner the better. I''ve looked at Aschers and round brilliants. Either is fine with me to be honest. My budget for the stone is ~1800-2500. I want at least .7 carat. I also want the best cut possible and I don''t want anyone to be able to see any flaws in the thing. I''ve already said if I have to pay some more to get a significantly better value, then I''ll sell my spleen.

I''ve looked so much that I basically feel I''ve come complete circle and am no closer than I was when I started. The thing that is most frustrating is spending hours looking for stones that fit my criteria and budget, and then the site not having enough information to rund that Halloway (??) calculation. I''m nowhere near good enough to be able to rule stones out just based on the table and depth dimension, but I know many people can do it (prolly you).

You said to call someone on an earlier post, but I''m chicken!!

HELP me, PLEASE!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really need a starting point here....

You have 5 seconds from the time you read this too post Asscher or Round
Which is it?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 11:23:31 PM
Author: danny0927

STRMRDR - I had to go to the 3rd page to find this thread! I''m urked ... maybe i need a roll call of your fans so this''ll stay up. anyway, it''s all true, you''re the man!

I''m going to get the stone online for sure, mostly because the price difference compared to the store I''ve talked with in town is significant. I may get the setting online too, but i''m not sure. I basically want a halo that is ''open'' and has a thin band (is that the right word?). thinner the better. I''ve looked at Aschers and round brilliants. Either is fine with me to be honest. My budget for the stone is ~1800-2500. I want at least .7 carat. I also want the best cut possible and I don''t want anyone to be able to see any flaws in the thing. I''ve already said if I have to pay some more to get a significantly better value, then I''ll sell my spleen.

I''ve looked so much that I basically feel I''ve come complete circle and am no closer than I was when I started. The thing that is most frustrating is spending hours looking for stones that fit my criteria and budget, and then the site not having enough information to rund that Halloway (??) calculation. I''m nowhere near good enough to be able to rule stones out just based on the table and depth dimension, but I know many people can do it (prolly you).

You said to call someone on an earlier post, but I''m chicken!!

HELP me, PLEASE!
I''m not trying to be a downer, but that budget is not going to get your to where you want to be. And no body parts should be sold. [;-) Ya never know you may need your spleen, LOL!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the $2500 is for the stone alone its do able...
Iv got an idea on the setting but need the stone shape first.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My friend's been perfectly healthy and spleenless for 25 years...I wouldn't bat an eyelash to trade it for the diamond of your dreams
11.gif

given that, I doubt there's much of a secondary market for spleens!

danny0927

Rough_Rock
whoever posted i can''t get the stone i want for <$2500, i respectfully disagree. in fact, i''m pretty sure you''re just wrong ... at least i hope so

STORM - to answer your question, I''d pick the cheaper one, all things being equal!
31.gif
Honestly, either is fine for me. I originally liked aschers (thou i now think it was the setting i fell in love with, not the stone), so I''d say ascher if pressed.

but RBs are really cool too ...

which is cheaper to set?

danny0927

Rough_Rock
Hey KELPIE - thanks a lot for driving the price of spleens down!!!!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
STRMRDR is some sort of diamond genius

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
STRMRDR is a phenominal resource for the people who frequent PS, both consumers and members of the trade... And I suppose that comparing him to the late Chess Master Bobby Fischer is appropriate because finding the right diamond can be a lot like playing a good game of chess... You need to know what you want, be patient enough to wait for it to present itself and then make your move when the opportunity arises.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 9:28:23 AM
whoever posted i can''t get the stone i want for <$2500, i respectfully disagree. in fact, i''m pretty sure you''re just wrong ... at least i hope so

STORM - to answer your question, I''d pick the cheaper one, all things being equal!
31.gif
Honestly, either is fine for me. I originally liked aschers (thou i now think it was the setting i fell in love with, not the stone), so I''d say ascher if pressed.

but RBs are really cool too ...

which is cheaper to set?
settings are pretty much the same price...

I am not allowed to contact a vendor for you you will have too do so.
I recommend gog.. www.goodoldgold.com for asschers.

Have him call in the first 2 stones for pictures and vids, the 3rd is another option.
0.82 G VS2 66.7% 54% GIA med-stk no vg vg mb 5.34*5.20*3.47 $2493
0.78 G VS2 67.9% 58% GIA stk-tk no vg ex 5.09-5.08x3.45 $2386
0.76 G VS2 68.8% 56% GIA thk no vg ex no 5.19x5.00x3.44 $2364

As far as settings have you considered the x-prong type setting?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/V-100/
That''s the vatche version which is very nice but kinda pricey.
Ingwer makes a lower cost version in 14k and 18k that would better suit your budget but I cant find a good picture of it.

Have you seen titanium tension sets? They would give you a very tough very open setting too showcase the stone.
http://www.boonerings.com/stone.htm
The one downside is that you have too be 100% sure of the size because they are not resizable.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 12:08:37 PM
Author: niceice
STRMRDR is a phenominal resource for the people who frequent PS, both consumers and members of the trade... And I suppose that comparing him to the late Chess Master Bobby Fischer is appropriate because finding the right diamond can be a lot like playing a good game of chess... You need to know what you want, be patient enough to wait for it to present itself and then make your move when the opportunity arises.
Thanks for the kind words, I was just looking at the 14k x-prong on your site.
You should start doing videos :}

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 12:32:58 PM
Author: strmrdr

Videos are a good idea, thanks! I''m actually almost finished with the redesign of Nice Ice and might actually have time to work that in shortly...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 12:40:12 PM

Date: 2/20/2008 12:32:58 PM
Author: strmrdr

Videos are a good idea, thanks! I'm actually almost finished with the redesign of Nice Ice and might actually have time to work that in shortly...
kewl
With RB's they are kinda so-so because they mostly look the same compared too fancies, but with fancies it really gives people a sense of comfort in their choices.

danny0927

Rough_Rock
i called gog to call in those diamonds. someone in particular i should ask for? also, i was asked what website the stones are on. i have no idea and no model number (whatever it''s called), so i told em i''d have to call back

i then promptly breathed into a paper bag for several minutes ...

p.s. on that james allen round, were you able to find enough info on their webiste to run one of those sparkleocity tests (halloway?), or do you just know intuitively that its a good stone. I wish it was just little bigger!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 4:56:51 PM
i called gog to call in those diamonds. someone in particular i should ask for? also, i was asked what website the stones are on. i have no idea and no model number (whatever it''s called), so i told em i''d have to call back

i then promptly breathed into a paper bag for several minutes ...

p.s. on that james allen round, were you able to find enough info on their webiste to run one of those sparkleocity tests (halloway?), or do you just know intuitively that its a good stone. I wish it was just little bigger!
They are on the PS search, they should be able too find them.
Jon is who I deal with at GOG and he has done so in the past.
They may have needed all the info above, point them too this thread.

The numbers on the cert combined with the picture tells me the JA round is very very nice.
If it had id/id sym and polish it would sell for several hundred dollars more as an "ideal" cut after being sent to AGS.
Since vg/vg isnt something that is eye visible it makes it a bargain because it takes a hit on the finish score.
An IS image which they provide on request would confirm it but im comfortable enough that I know the JA pictures well enough that its going to have a smokin IS image.
If you go that route or if a lurker is looking at it, get the IS and confirm :}

danny0927

Rough_Rock
strmdr -- i just emailed gog.

2 questions:
1. Those stones will be big enough to set in a halo ... right?
2. Would that RB you referred me to be big enough to set that way?

I just don''t want the stone to drown in the "decorations" around it. I like the ''halo'' look because it looks old fashioned. i just think it''s cool. i''m pretty much set (bad pun) on the idea of have a halo and a really plain band.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are an unusual puupy to worry about the diamond overwhelming the halo!!
2.gif

Don''t worry, stones in that range will look awesome in a halo and will give great finger coverage. Not to plant a seed, but you could get the halo done in rose gold with pink diamonds and that would really make the halo stand out and make the stone pop. But that wouldn''t look oldfashioned.

Good for you for calling GOG! Keep that bag handy!

DD
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 6:13:11 PM
strmdr -- i just emailed gog.

2 questions:
1. Those stones will be big enough to set in a halo ... right?
2. Would that RB you referred me to be big enough to set that way?

I just don''t want the stone to drown in the ''decorations'' around it. I like the ''halo'' look because it looks old fashioned. i just think it''s cool. i''m pretty much set (bad pun) on the idea of have a halo and a really plain band.
they will be fine in a halo

danny0927

Rough_Rock
dreamer -- i''m actually worried about the stone drowning IN the halo, i.e. the stone looking too tiny for a halo setting. i don''t want people to think i got a halo setting b/c the stone was too small on its own. so maybe i''m not an "unusual puppy"

fyi - i think your idea about the halo is really cool, but i don''t know if i''d have the guts to do something like that. i have trouble enough envisioning this kind of stuff, and commiting to a setting like that without being able to see EXACTLY how it would look in person would be impossible for me. but, anyway, the random pics i''ve seen where people have taken those sort of chances always look cool to me. and you''re right, the center stone really sticks out then, which i like.

i noticed on another thread some dude''s trying to steal my BFF strmdr.
29.gif
who does this guy think he is? i thought i''ve established that I"M storm''s charity project!
27.gif
(actually, good to know some other schmuck is going through this misery ... er, i mean, once and a lifetime fun process.)

danny0927

Rough_Rock
strmdr -- what do you think of this one???
Diamond ID#: 37089
Lab: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.74
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 5.79 x 5.82 - 3.62
Girdle: M - M /F
Depth %: 62.4
Table %: 55
Culet: N
Polish: X
Symmetry: X
Fluorescence: N.
Crown Angle: 35.5
Crown Height: 16.0
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
Pavilion Depth: 43.0
Lab Comments: None
Price: $2,395

it scores a 3.9 on the halloway. that''s bad, right?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 1:02:14 AM
strmdr -- what do you think of this one???
Diamond ID#: 37089
Lab: GIA
Carat: 0.74
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 5.79 x 5.82 - 3.62
Girdle: M - M /F
Depth %: 62.4
Table %: 55
Culet: N
Polish: X
Symmetry: X
Fluorescence: N.
Crown Angle: 35.5
Crown Height: 16.0
Pavilion Angle: 41.0
Pavilion Depth: 43.0
Lab Comments: None
Price: $2,395

it scores a 3.9 on the halloway. that''s bad, right?
bleck

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 12:30:05 AM
dreamer -- i''m actually worried about the stone drowning IN the halo, i.e. the stone looking too tiny for a halo setting. i don''t want people to think i got a halo setting b/c the stone was too small on its own. so maybe i''m not an ''unusual puppy''

fyi - i think your idea about the halo is really cool, but i don''t know if i''d have the guts to do something like that. i have trouble enough envisioning this kind of stuff, and commiting to a setting like that without being able to see EXACTLY how it would look in person would be impossible for me. but, anyway, the random pics i''ve seen where people have taken those sort of chances always look cool to me. and you''re right, the center stone really sticks out then, which i like.

i noticed on another thread some dude''s trying to steal my BFF strmdr.
29.gif
who does this guy think he is? i thought i''ve established that I''M storm''s charity project!
27.gif
(actually, good to know some other schmuck is going through this misery ... er, i mean, once and a lifetime fun process.)
Watch out, Danny!!! BFF usually stands for Best Female Friend here and Storm ain''t no girl
20.gif

danny0927

Rough_Rock
why can''t i post

danny0927

Rough_Rock
weird -- i''ve gotten an error trying to post this message now four times

what about this one storm? it scores a 1.3 on the halloway, but its an si2. there''s a pic on the site at magnification and there''s a flaw right in the middle of the stone it looks like. is that a really bad spot for a blemish? it''s an ags ideal/ideal.

Diamond ID#: 36925
Lab: AGS
Carat: 0.84
Color: H
Clarity: SI2
Measurements: 6.10 x 6.12 - 3.72
Girdle:
Depth %: 60.9
Table %: 56
Culet:
Polish:
Symmetry:
Fluorescence:
Additional Details:
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: NN
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Fluorescence: Neglible

Price: $2,370

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results