shape
carat
color
clarity

Stressing about oval diamond!

rennipenni

Rough_Rock
First-time poster, long time lurker here. Settled on a oval diamond with pave halo, now shopping for ovals!! Was hesitant to buy online given I could not examine them in person. Want to avoid a bowtie if possible. Found a stone at a local jeweler with good reputation in the area (they ordered in some for me) that really spoke to me. Thought it had lots of sparkle and personality.

1.3 ct
H color (im doing yellow gold, so going with near colorless)
VG polish
VG symmetry
VS1 clarity

58% table

53.7% depth!!

I'm concerned about the depth. I'm second-guessing my impression in the store as to the stones sparkle because shallower ovals are supposed to let light through the bottom. This depth is in the "fair" cut category on some websites im seeing.

Any advice on this?? Should I trust my first impression?? It sparkled to me more than the other deeper cut ovals i had seen that day, and there is no bowtie.

Thanks so much!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you looking at it using a stone holder, or was it on a black background?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what lighting environments did you look at the stones in? also what background?

rennipenni

Rough_Rock
I was looking at it using a stone holder (the forceps that lock down on it). Also sparkled while laying on a white background. This of course was in an optimal lit jewelry store with recessed lighting as well as a row of tiny lights on the ceiling at the table we examined the stone on. Looks great under the microscope, too. We took it outside, but it was a completely cloudy grey day, so there was minimal sparkle at that point.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a sunnier day here, so I am going back to look at it tomorrow outside. Any other suggestions for how to examine it?

I'm trying to not get too wrapped up in analyzing all the numbers and just going with my gut reaction to the stone, which was very good intially, and I had seen six others that day. Also trying to get the price down a little given so it feels a like a fairer sale.

Thanks for all of your help and advice!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results