shape
carat
color
clarity

Strategic jewelry purchasing. What would you do?

How would you spend your hard earned earring money?

• I'd get the best everyday earrings I could afford and wear them for evening (and the wedding) too. C

Votes: 43 84.3%
  • I'd get some amazing dress earrings, you only live once so you may as well look fabulous doing it!

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Compromise a little and get a pair of each, it's the best of both worlds.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • None of the above, I have a better idea wich I will explain in great detail below....

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I have saved up my pennys over the last 6 months or so to finally get myself some nice diamond earrings (YAY!). I've been feeling the money burning a hole in my pocket for the last week and really want to make a purchase and feel the reward for my hard saving.

However, since I started saving I gotten engaged and now want some nice earrings for my wedding as well as everyday.

What would you do? Go half and half and buy some acceptable size studs or hoops for everyday and some small dangles for the wedding and evening wear? Would you put it all into the everyday earrings and get the biggest and best diamonds you can afford now and just wear those to the wedding- not dangly but very practical. Or put the lot into some fab chandelier earrings because screw it, it's the best excuse you'll ever get for such a pretty frivolous purchase. Other? Like getting the studs and save up just a little more to make some removable dangles? Brillant ideas welcome!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of compromising and getting a pair of each, BUT I also like the first option (getting the best earrings you can for everyday and use those for the wedding) as well. What earrings are you looking at? What does your wedding dress look like? How much of a compromise would you be making if you went with the first option you mentioned?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I would buy the biggest and best that you can right now and then save up a little more and buy some dangly attachments or halo jackets
to add to them for your wedding for that extra little bling.

I would avoid spending all of the money on a special pair for the wedding since you wouldn't get a lot of wear out of them, I'd much prefer to spend the money on earrings that I got to wear everyday.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get the best studs/hugges possible for the money, and either wear them to the wedding (I wore studs to my wedding and loved the classic look) or get some cheapish, fun CZ dangles to wear to the wedding, if your decide that's the look you prefer as a bride. Personally, I just know I never would have worn chandelier earrings again after my wedding day, but my studs I NEVER take off!! What does your dress look like? What style of everyday earring are you going for?
Yay for you, and good on you for saving so hard! This is fun :appl:

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I voted in favor of the everyday earrings because that's what I wish I had done! For my wedding, I splurged on a pair of dressier earrings that now just sit in my jewelry box. I kick myself for not buying a nice healthy-sized pair of diamond studs. It actually bothers me to have a piece of jewelry that I rarely ever wear. I'm so anti-clutter; I even apply that mindset toward my jewelry box.

Buy what will bring you the most joy everyday. Whatever you decide, I commend you for putting such thought into your purchase!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter has diamond studs, but she wore a high quality fake pair of drop earrings at her wedding. They were gorgeous and looked like platinum with milgrain and diamonds. There would virtually never be another occasion to wear earrings like that, so certainly if buying diamond earrings, studs and then hoops would be my choice.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hawaiianorangetree|1307359674|2938800 said:
I would buy the biggest and best that you can right now and then save up a little more and buy some dangly attachments or halo jackets

I would avoid spending all of the money on a special pair for the wedding since you wouldn't get a lot of wear out of them, I'd much prefer to spend the money on earrings that I got to wear everyday.

I totally agree. Although I love the idea of having a special pair of earrings as a keepsake from your wedding. I wore my mom's pearl
dangles which I now own. The truth is though, I have maybe worn them 3 times in 30 years. If you are getting a pair of stud get
a size that you would not want to upgrade because they will be sentimental to you. How could you ever trade in a stud that you wore
for your wedding? :errrr:

If you can afford the size you really want right this minute, maybe you can in a few months, or could trade up just before the wedding.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

This is the perfect solution. Get a rockin' pair of studs and then get jackets or maybe pearl drops or something for the wedding.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi|1307359852|2938802 said:
I would get the best studs/hugges possible for the money, and either wear them to the wedding (I wore studs to my wedding and loved the classic look) or get some cheapish, fun CZ dangles to wear to the wedding, if your decide that's the look you prefer as a bride. Personally, I just know I never would have worn chandelier earrings again after my wedding day, but my studs I NEVER take off!! What does your dress look like? What style of everyday earring are you going for?
Yay for you, and good on you for saving so hard! This is fun :appl:

+1. Or, if you know somebody who would be willing to lend you a nice pair for the wedding I would ask them. It could be your "something borrowed" Personally I find it a waste of money (especially since you've been saving for so long) to buy something that is only worn once in a blue moon.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with the every day option! But I guess I don't buy into the whole "you only get the one day so you might as well go all out" approach. I'd definitely want to spend the money on something I could enjoy every day. I agree with the idea that maybe you could borrow a fancier pair from someone for the wedding? Or you could wear the every day pair and I'm sure it would look lovely, too.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love this idea!!!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would get the best pair of diamonds studs I could afford, however, I would put some of the money aside to have some removable pearl dangles made. This way you have fantastic studs for everyday wear, but you also have something more dressy for the wedding. The removable dangles would be less expensive than diamond chandelier earrings.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I voted for every day earrings and wearing them to dress up at night too. I'd rather know I have something versatile.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
put you hard earned jewelry money to work for you!buy one pair of ear studs that will become your best friend and worn through out all the special occasions in your life and just for everyday too! its a win/win situation.Ive said it before and i will say it again...way too much money, expectation and worrying is spent on the wedding day!Think about what type of earrings you could have for a lifetime if you had a small wedding that will be remembered just as much as a big event.I wish i could tell you how many clients have me they wish they would have had a small wedding and invested the money into a larger diamond or down payment on a house.I'm sure you will look beautiful on your wedding day in your diamond studs!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put the money towards a pair you can wear most everyday rather than a pair that will spend most of its life in a jewelry box. Chances are they'll look lovely for wedding wear too. If you end up picking a dress that screams for something blingier... there's some absolutely beautiful costume jewelry out there!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Studs with an attachable pearl dangle or gemstone dangle (think pear shaped aquas or ammys). :appl: :love:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would put all the money in the nicest pair of stud earrings you can buy. Wear either those for the wedding, or if you prefer a very different or period style, buy it in costume (monet for faux pearls for example).
I've known well-off people buying various adornments that are not "real" for their wedding.
Even Jackie wore costume; who would say she is lacking in taste?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get your best pair for everyday. Brides have tunnel vision, that passes after the wedding. They have some freaking stunning crystal and CZ chandeliler earrings EVERYWHERE, buy a pair of these for your wedding. My niece just got married and her earrings were to DIE FOR, and from Klienfelds.

I just saw some stunning swarovski stuff that could seriously pass for real to 99.9 percent of the population. And Nadri has pieces that are just jaw dropping fabulous.

Trust me, you'll be happy you did it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just went to look for you and ended up buying a pair of earrings for myself!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?keyword=nadri+earrings&origin=keywordsearch Everything they make is so high quality. I own several pieces by them and love them to bits.

Here are the pair I bought (in rhodium, although the yellow gold pair are gorgeous!) http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nadri-byzantine-chandelier-earrings/3123199?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=3523

Elliot Denori at Macy's is also made my Nadri... These are a pair of earrings on there for 100 that I am itching to own! http://www1.macys.com/search/results.ognc?Action=searchpagination&pageid=1&startpos=49&Keyword=denori+earrings&cKey=3&sortOption=*&resultsPerPage=24&COMPARE_ITEMS_GO_BUTTON=COMPARE_ITEMS_GO_BUTTON

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with the biggest studs I could afford b/c they'll be in style and worn daily. To the pool, grocery store, & to a summer BBQ...plus, a wedding, of course.

It's probably just me, but chandelier earrings seem trendy/dated? When I see them on women, the idea of two years ago comes to mind.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1307394649|2939215 said:
Get your best pair for everyday. Brides have tunnel vision, that passes after the wedding. They have some freaking stunning crystal and CZ chandeliler earrings EVERYWHERE, buy a pair of these for your wedding. My niece just got married and her earrings were to DIE FOR, and from Klienfelds.

I just saw some stunning swarovski stuff that could seriously pass for real to 99.9 percent of the population. And Nadri has pieces that are just jaw dropping fabulous.
Trust me, you'll be happy you did it.

Yep! I'm going to get a pair of hoops and am doing that route. I just don't think I'll get enough wear out of them to spend thousands! ;-)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Awww, this re-afirms how nice and helpful pricescopers are. ::)

To answer some questions:

I'm looking at studs because I'm thinking studs are the most sensible purchase for everyday wear rather than huggies. I can always get huggies later as another everyday option as they aren't quite as much as the studs.

I haven't chosen a wedding dress yet, sparkly things are more important! Id rather match the dress to the jewelry than the other way round. Also I agree with bridal tunnel vision, I'm trying really hard not to get sucked in and keep a rational long-term mindset but wow it's easy to get caught up in all the pretty!

As for compromising and getting both types of earrings, if I spent all the money on studs I could get between 0.80-0.90ctw in an EX cut, good colour and eye clean, if I went half and half I might get some 0.50-0.60ctw studs of the same quality.

Which leads me to a new question/concern of mine: I'm 22, is 0.80ctw ish diamond studs ridiculous for my age? Will they just look fake? And my pendant is 0.43ct......So should I just get smaller studs anyway or will I "grow into them"?

Gypsy- I didn't think CZ earrings could look that good! They're gorgeous! *bookmarks*. I like the one's you got....

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a .43ct pendant, I think .80ctw studs would be a sensational size! When I was 21 I bought myself some .40ct each diamond studs, LOVED them and definitely grew into them... so much so that I felt the need to get bigger ones eventually :bigsmile: Get whatever size you like, with your pendant and stunning engagement ring, you could totally rock 'em!! :appl: :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it sort of depends on what your overall style is. I might be in the minority here, but I wear dangly earrings on a regular basis: my most-worn have consistently been one of three pairs of dangly pears, and one of them is something like 10 carats per ear! It just sort of works with my overall style. If you think you'd be wearing your chandelier earrings on a regular basis and this is one of your rare opportunities to splurge on the real thing, I say go for it! I mean, it's not like Nadri, Crislu, etc., don't also make fakey studs .... :twisted:

That said, I'll admit I've semi-retired a lot of my dangly earrings since I got my studs: partially because I love them so, partially because if you spend bank on something, it makes sense to get your money's worth, and partially because shortly thereafter I got a few more holes in each ear and they're still healing, and wearing dangles with multiples just feels like a little ... much, even for me. But everybody's different.

Tl:dr version: if you have a specific pair of chandelier earrings you adore, get them; if it's just an abstract notion and you know you'll love studs, get those now and wait until you spot a pair you're madly in love with in the future. After all, it's not like you won't have plenty of opportunities in the future - anniversaries, birthdays, promotions!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Good advice Circe!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1307461159|2939835 said:
I think it sort of depends on what your overall style is. I might be in the minority here, but I wear dangly earrings on a regular basis: my most-worn have consistently been one of three pairs of dangly pears, and one of them is something like 10 carats per ear! It just sort of works with my overall style. If you think you'd be wearing your chandelier earrings on a regular basis and this is one of your rare opportunities to splurge on the real thing, I say go for it! I mean, it's not like Nadri, Crislu, etc., don't also make fakey studs .... :twisted:

That said, I'll admit I've semi-retired a lot of my dangly earrings since I got my studs: partially because I love them so, partially because if you spend bank on something, it makes sense to get your money's worth, and partially because shortly thereafter I got a few more holes in each ear and they're still healing, and wearing dangles with multiples just feels like a little ... much, even for me. But everybody's different.

Tl:dr version: if you have a specific pair of chandelier earrings you adore, get them; if it's just an abstract notion and you know you'll love studs, get those now and wait until you spot a pair you're madly in love with in the future. After all, it's not like you won't have plenty of opportunities in the future - anniversaries, birthdays, promotions!

I think I would wear small dangles everyday but nothing with a very large drop or too elaborate. And again, it's just an idea, if I had found ones I loved I would have got them already. I manage a B&M store and the girls I work with (owners daughters) wear their wedding earrings all the time. Studs are probably just a smart purchase because in future I have more options if I get over them- I could make them into the center stone in some nice dangles, they could be side stones in a nice colored stone ring etc etc, where as if I were to get drops (which would likely be lots of little stones and mostly metal for what I can pay for them) there isn't much I can do if I get over them.....just feels comparatively a bit boring.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

I love this idea, HOT! And FutureGirl...I bet DanielM could make you some really super amethyst dangles to go with your purple wedding! Also, I think 0.80 ctw studs are a fabulous size!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best studs possible.

Then get jackets or soem sort of drops if you really want something for the wedding.

Or buy constume jewelry for the wedding, it will look the same in pictures and save you money!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what I would do in your position, if the budget allowed, would be to get a smallish pair of studs set so that pendants can be hung from them and then a pair of fancy cut pendants (like pears). I think CherryBlossom posted some pics from her mother's jewelry collection that had earrings like these.

I'd wear the pendants hung from the studs for the wedding and the studs alone for everyday with a couple of pendants to hang from necklaces. Smallish studs to make room for diamond jackets if I later wanted them; I'd be concerned that larger studs would limit the choice of earring jackets.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would put all of my money into everyday studs. At least among my friends/family it's customary to loan jewelry for big occasions like balls/weddings. Do your mother, grandmother, future MIL, etc have a pair of earrings you could borrow for your special day? You need "something old, something new, something, borrowed, and something blue." Maybe earrings can be your something old and your something borrowed?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results