shape
carat
color
clarity

Stopped by Jared

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DM

Rough_Rock
My gf and I had some time to kill before our movie today so we stopped by Jared. Anyway she already picked a setting from about 5 online vendors I sent and she picked this one http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=171 . We checked out something similar at Jared, but it was a 1 Ct and without the engravings but this one was $2999 compared to $1650 on JA, I understand if the difference in CT accounts for that much diff in price. So we checked out some lose stones and all the ones they had were I clarity with some impurites (under the scope), so they told me they have some online diamonds we can look at online also. They pulled up the page and it looked so similar to JA diamond search page, just a Jared heading. I picked a loose diamond and it was $4400, the diamond looked really familiar, I got home checked the same diamond on JA and it was $2500
32.gif
$1900 difference.
Thats it, no more buying at B&M any more.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2007 1:25:44 AM
Author:DM
My gf and I had some time to kill before our movie today so we stopped by Jared. Anyway she already picked a setting from about 5 online vendors I sent and she picked this one http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=171 . We checked out something similar at Jared, but it was a 1 Ct and without the engravings but this one was $2999 compared to $1650 on JA, I understand if the difference in CT accounts for that much diff in price. So we checked out some lose stones and all the ones they had were I clarity with some impurites (under the scope), so they told me they have some online diamonds we can look at online also. They pulled up the page and it looked so similar to JA diamond search page, just a Jared heading. I picked a loose diamond and it was $4400, the diamond looked really familiar, I got home checked the same diamond on JA and it was $2500
32.gif
$1900 difference.
Thats it, no more buying at B&M any more.
Yeah, if you''re going to buy from a B&M, make sure it''s an independent jeweler with which you''ve established rapport. You will definitely be overpaying for a diamond and setting in a chain B&M store. Some people don''t mind going that route, but it''s better on the budget to get involved with a reputable online vendor. Have you considered Whiteflash or any of the other reputed vendors on PS? Since you''re in CT if you order a stone or setting from WF who are very very helpful, you would not be paying sales tax or shipping, I believe. Do some more research here. I''m sure plenty of other diamond experts will chime in here and verify that Jared''s is not the ideal way to go as far as purchasing an e-ring or wedding band. Doesn''t mean they''re horrible, just means you can get a better deal online and rest assured you''re getting a quality product. Good luck!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the info. That's quite a difference. I think Jared's is pretty high priced and I hate the fact they won't give you a discount AT ALL; but that's quite a price hike. Chain stores have got to hate informed consumers.
1.gif

Your ering is going to be gorgeous!

spartan183

Rough_Rock
That is exactly what I experienced at Helzberg Diamonds. For a one carat masterpiece (similar to a hearts and arrows diamond) was $10,000. That is ridiculous! I was beginning to think I could not afford a one carat diamond, until I looked on-line. I am not sure why they think they can get away with that. Maybe because a lot of people are still really hesitant to buy on-line, as well as they do not offer the financing options that BM stores do. Who knows!
33.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people aren''t comfortable making an online purchase even if there is financing. They want to see the item before they buy. Usually you have to pay for that, or use an appraiser, or stop by JA, GOG or WF. A friend of mine couldn''t believe I would buy online. She was just astounded. But she has a really different way of doing things. And she''s not as involved with her own jewelry purchases as I am.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/29/2007 3:45:11 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Many people aren''t comfortable making an online purchase even if there is financing. They want to see the item before they buy. Usually you have to pay for that, or use an appraiser, or stop by JA, GOG or WF. A friend of mine couldn''t believe I would buy online. She was just astounded. But she has a really different way of doing things. And she''s not as involved with her own jewelry purchases as I am.
Interesting observations, Stone Hunter.

Also remember that depending on the consumer''s age...not everyone has a comfort level with making a large purchase on line. Key words "comfort level."

Granted, most pricescope shoppers are tech savy and grew up with on-line access and are comfortable with computers.

It''s amazing that I know people who never shop on line or never even go on line, and I also know a few folks in their fifties who don''t drive or own cars.

Hard to believe...but one just can''t assume that everyone shops and lives by the same standards.

The technology is here....not everyone chooses to use it.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I have also been looking at loose diamonds to get an idea of cost for a pendant and found that the B&M prices can be nearly double what I can find online and it''s rare to find diamonds as good of color/clarity within the same price range of ideal stones. I found an .47 I SI2 ideal cut at Ben Bridge for $1200 (plus tax of around 8%) and the same online would be about $700. Obviously, I would go with the online version and for the amount I''d be saving would go up in color/clarity! I can say though, even as a member here for a few years, I''d find it intimidating buying a $4K diamond online!

But, on a side note, I recently purchased a really cute diamond fashion necklace from a B&M and am happy with my purchase! I do think it''s best to have an excellent foundation of information before shopping for any diamond, be it internet or B&M. You can find great deals IF you know what you''re doing
2.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2007 4:52:03 PM
Author: MC

Hi,

I have also been looking at loose diamonds to get an idea of cost for a pendant and found that the B&M prices can be nearly double what I can find online and it''s rare to find diamonds as good of color/clarity within the same price range of ideal stones. I found an .47 I SI2 ideal cut at Ben Bridge for $1200 (plus tax of around 8%) and the same online would be about $700. Obviously, I would go with the online version and for the amount I''d be saving would go up in color/clarity! I can say though, even as a member here for a few years, I''d find it intimidating buying a $4K diamond online!

But, on a side note, I recently purchased a really cute diamond fashion necklace from a B&M and am happy with my purchase! I do think it''s best to have an excellent foundation of information before shopping for any diamond, be it internet or B&M. You can find great deals IF you know what you''re doing
2.gif
Yeah knowledge is power. I checked out the diamond studs at Costco today. Better prices than the B&M stores but WF still beats them apples to apples. Got to see a nice pink Tourmaline though. Sometimes it''s good to see stones in person.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2007 10:00:23 AM
Author: marcyc
Thank you for the info. That''s quite a difference. I think Jared''s is pretty high priced and I hate the fact they won''t give you a discount AT ALL; but that''s quite a price hike. Chain stores have got to hate informed consumers.
1.gif

Your ering is going to be gorgeous!
Yes...I love how they tell you that their prices are already considerably discounted...riiight!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results