shape
carat
color
clarity

stone size for ring size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pogie

Rough_Rock
my gf has a ring size of 3 in her right hand, would a .30 carat stone on a 3mm band be enough for her? i mean would the stone or the ring itself come out good on her?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id go with a 1.5 to 2mm band with about a .35, .4 or even .5. Only because it will look great. The skinnier the band the bigger the stone looks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is "enough" is probably not very much related to the ring size.

I wear rings downwards of size 4 (as a rule, there is about one size difference between hands and ring-worthy fingers)... and a 5mm stone seems on the larger side of "small" to me. Definitely pleasing in the right deisign.

You may wnat to look on THIS thread for a sample of what I mean by "right design"
2.gif
Just a matter os taste, IMO.

read.gif
Keeping the proportions of the ring constant, a round of 45 points (=5mm) diamond on a size 3 ring "looks" the same as one of 85 points (6.2mm diameter) on a size 7.

This is not a very realistic thought - no one will size up that stone based on the ring and hand size alone, even if this does help. The two will look the same in picture, but not in real life

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
If the shanks taper in toward the diamond, it'll highlight the stone and give the illusion of a larger stone as well.

pogie

Rough_Rock
thanks for the link, it made my explanation to my query now easier, that is what i meant when i said if the ring would come out good, i believe that the rings on the link provided above have small carat stones and the bands of the rings are somewhere from 2mm to 3mm, right?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/17/2004 4:12:30 PM pogie wrote:

i believe that the rings on the link provided above have small carat stones and the bands of the rings are somewhere from 2mm to 3mm, right?----------------

I believe so too
2.gif
with no measurements of the rings available, I would say that the small rings would have bands of around 2mm (say 1.8-2.2mm). To me 2mm looks dainty with no exaggeration. Just for reference, a 5 mm band looks substantial on my (small) hand.

The idea to go for a tapered band sounds good to me, if showing off the glitter of the stone is key. See below

I did try on the Niwaka model and it looks impressive on hand despite it's discrete size - the band practically disappears from view near the stone, so one is drawn to the unexpected image of diamond floating on hand. With the 25-35 points diamonds, the model should be safe for the stone, for larger diamonds it sounds reckless (leaves the girdle exposed higher above the finger). So... the added bonus of the model is that you will likely never see a larger stone than yours in a similar ring!

This is not supposed to be kudos to Niwaka, I just happen to be impressed with their design.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping to find the thread with "Fire&Ice" 's ring (a bezel with a severely tappered, invisible band, as I remember) but failed.
The one I tried on by Niwaka is on the right side of the picture:

tapperBand.JPG

pogie

Rough_Rock
thanks for the reponse, i was wondering if this kind of design would look good if it has a 3mm band and a .30-.40 carat stone?
rolleyes.gif

sing-sing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results