shape
carat
color
clarity

stone price relation to ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tuanle55

Rough_Rock
How much do you guys set aside in your budget from the stone to the ring (setting)?

I was looking to spend about $8k for the ring and about $1k for a nice platinum setting all in one place (Whiteflash). I figure if I spend that much on a stone, I shouldn''t skimp out on the ring either for a basic solitaire for $300. What is a reasonable cost to spend on the ring? 20% of the diamond stone? 10% ? Or just what''s left in your budget after the stone :)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 12:01:08 AM
Author:tuanle55
How much do you guys set aside in your budget from the stone to the ring (setting)?

I was looking to spend about $8k for the ring and about $1k for a nice platinum setting all in one place (Whiteflash). I figure if I spend that much on a stone, I shouldn''t skimp out on the ring either for a basic solitaire for $300. What is a reasonable cost to spend on the ring? 20% of the diamond stone? 10% ? Or just what''s left in your budget after the stone :)
It''s a matter of personal preference. Many people here want to maximize their stone size and thus go with cheaper settings. Others like the look of micropave or larger accent stones and put more of the budget on the setting and think of the ring as a "whole package".

Personally I lie somewhere in the middle. For you, I would really think about what your gf wants as far as the setting. If she wants you to get the biggest/best diamond out there, then I would go simple and cheaper with the setting. However, if she has something specific she likes with the setting, I would get her that and adjust your diamond budget accordingly.

If you are unsure of what she would want in a setting, a cheap WG $200 setting might come in handy. You could propose with a "temporary" setting and then let her pick out something more elaborate later on.

lehcarm

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/4/2006 12:01:08 AM
Author:tuanle55

I am in the (almost) same boat as you. The problem I have is that I really want a matching engagement ring and wedding ring. The sets I am looking at cost between $1500 and $2000, about the same amount I am looking at for the diamond. The way I look at it, I would like a setting that I can see myself wearing for the rest of my life. I can always get a larger diamond down the road (if I really want to).

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, the setting is what can make a stunning diamond take your breath away. I got a WF A Cut Above melee channel setting. Not only does it accent the diamond, but adds sparkle beyond belief really drawing attention to the ring. People can''t really distinguish one diamond from another (maybe one is bigger or more sparkly), but the ring is what makes it memorable. I think that 1500 is plenty to get a platinum setting that will help your diamond light up a room.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
There really is no set benchmark...It does vary by person. It also depends on what you care more about (i.e. style wise)...

I personally went with a bigger diamond, in a cheaper platinum mount, knowing I would upgrade the setting (but not the diamond). You could do it vice versa.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No hard and fast rules at all, I much prefer a very simple and inexpensive setting and let it be all about the rock
30.gif
31.gif
, but it is a matter of preference.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my perfect stone and am having a setting made for the stone from the prongs on down LOL I don''t think it is ALL about the stone - I think the ring is definitely a big part of it. Of course it depends on what you want - if you want just a diamond to show you don''t do anything else to the band or setting.. if you want the diamond to be a highlight to a wonderful ring, you do that.... if you want the ring of your dreams and the stone is an afterthought - well then you have your priorities there too. Just be careful if you are planning on keeping your setting for a lifetime and upgrading your stone that you have an upgradable setting!!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to maximize the diamond size. That''s what most people look at anyways. Luckily, my wife likes the simple, classic Tiffany style solitaire settings. So, I got off with the basic $300 platinum setting.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion the diamond is really what what will go up in value and what she will want to keep later if she decides to upgrade. Therefore, I put all my $$ into the stone and went for the basic setting. Then if she doesn''t like the setting also, she can upgrade sooner rather than later.

tuanle55

Rough_Rock
I did it. I ended up with an $8k 1.05c F/VS1 stone + Trois Brillent ring in Platinum ($2k)
Look for pictures in 2 weeks. :)
I looked at from a perspective that we spent so much money on things like TVs, Cars, video games, etc,
So put the diamond ring into perspective, it should be fair that it should be an item to be splurge on and if anything cut back on the other things. So instead of a nice BMW i was looking to get in 1.5 year, I''ll stick to getting a used Hyundai. The story of my life :) -always having to balance things around but I think doing that makes life more manageable and less stress.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results