shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone comparison and recommendation

DomerD

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Long-time lurker, first time poster. I've been researching on here and in person for a while and have found two stones I like (and fit in my budget). I will be buying a cushion cut stone around 1.5c for my soon to-be fiance. Excited and nervous to this part right.

The first I like is a 1.6c GSI1, Ex/VG stone for $11k. It's eye-clean and looks great. I don't have pictures but have the gia report.

The second is 1.72c FS1, G/G for $13k. It's also eye-clean and when comparing with the above, appears a bit more brilliant to me. Also have the gia report.

I have to say that to me, a lay-person, I like the 1.72 better. It's brighter to me and just has a nicer look (I know, real professional!). I'm concerned about the Good/Good though and maybe the dimensions. I've seen probably 15 stones in my hunt and this is my favorite, but now that it's purchase time, the analytical side has taken over and am I'm thinking about the specs more than the appearance as I want not only a beautiful stone to the eye, but also good quality.

Any thoughts or advice based on the GIA reports and my comments? I will try to get pictures, apologies for that.

Thank you!
Dave

Attachments

• act_printPDF.pdf
    321 KB · Views: 20
  • act_printPDF (1).pdf
    449.9 KB · Views: 33

slg47

Ideal_Rock
with cushions you really have to go by the appearance and not the numbers. If you like the 1.72 better then by all means go for it! I would recommend looking at the diamonds in different lighting because the jewelry store bright spotlighting makes everything look sparkly, but they will not look that way in normal lighting conditions.

if you want to learn more about cushions this video is very informative
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O7H8E_MYRM

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Which vendor are you working with? In general, it seems that the PS vendors are very helpful in advising on those types of questions.

DomerD

Rough_Rock
It's a local diamond dealer here in NYC, recommended through family friend.

And thanks for the video -- very thorough and informative.

DomerD

Rough_Rock
Will go look at again and discuss with the vendor I suppose.

I'm going with the JA Common Prong setting in yellow gold, btw.

Any other opinions or anecdotal advice? :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
DomerD|1313091909|2988741 said:
Will go look at again and discuss with the vendor I suppose.

I'm going with the JA Common Prong setting in yellow gold, btw.

Any other opinions or anecdotal advice? :)

if you are getting the setting at JA why not get the diamond there? that way you would avoid additional mounting fees and the stone would be covered during the setting process

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results