clarity

Still looking for sapphire

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Is it really the same stone?

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1366286287|3429665 said:
Jason flips stones for several vendors so he also sells what others have in their inventory.

Oh, I understand that, but if it is the same stone then without trying to offend Dana I'd probably enquire of the guy selling it almost two thousand dollars cheaper. :oops:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
cm366|1366314106|3429982 said:
Chrono|1366286287|3429665 said:
Jason flips stones for several vendors so he also sells what others have in their inventory.

Oh, I understand that, but if it is the same stone then without trying to offend Dana I'd probably enquire of the guy selling it almost two thousand dollars cheaper. :oops:

Huh? I just double checked. It does seem to be the same stone. At least thats what it looks like.

Could it be that the same person that had Jason post the stone on his site also had Dana to post it on his? Or maybe they just didn't coordinate prices very well.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, really good catch! Who wouldn't buy it for almost $2k cheaper?!!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello All...

Long time; but seeing things as they are I am here again to defend myself :) LOL

I was hoping more wonderful and exciting things would have drawn me back; but be that as it may :)

I am following the rules set forth by the owner of the gems. I do not know what anyone else does; but I do as I am asked. I personally hold ALL the gems for him and when he tells me what to show the price at I do it... I also send out his gems to many other retailers as that is his business. He tells me what to post the price at and also tells me what I can sell the gem for. That is why I POST on my website front page; CONTACT ME for best price... Pretty simple huh??? I thought so but evidently many people do not read...

That is the problem when you try to sell wholesale and retail; the overlapping is a pain. That is why I quit selling to the trade; too many stipulations and lack of freedom...

If the moderator wants to delete the post that is fine; but I am just clarifying what is insinuated but in reality you must read the storefront postings as there is important information there and it is why I take the time to write it...

Have a good day to all :)

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter #96CGE42

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dana - just to summarize: it sounds like you are saying to contact you because you can offer a better price. At the risk of jumping to conclusions, it sounds like you perhaps match the price seen elsewhere...

Thanks for the clarification!

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi All :)

No I do not match prices; I give the price I feel comfortable with paying and most know I do the best I can...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified Supreme Master Gem Cutter # 96CGE42

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
mastercutgems|1366372169|3430344 said:
Hello All...

Long time; but seeing things as they are I am here again to defend myself :) LOL

I was hoping more wonderful and exciting things would have drawn me back; but be that as it may :)

I am following the rules set forth by the owner of the gems. I do not know what anyone else does; but I do as I am asked. I personally hold ALL the gems for him and when he tells me what to show the price at I do it... I also send out his gems to many other retailers as that is his business. He tells me what to post the price at and also tells me what I can sell the gem for. That is why I POST on my website front page; CONTACT ME for best price... Pretty simple huh??? I thought so but evidently many people do not read...

That is the problem when you try to sell wholesale and retail; the overlapping is a pain. That is why I quit selling to the trade; too many stipulations and lack of freedom...

If the moderator wants to delete the post that is fine; but I am just clarifying what is insinuated but in reality you must read the storefront postings as there is important information there and it is why I take the time to write it...

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds

Dana,
Thanks for clarifying this for all of us!

cm366

Shiny_Rock
periwinklegirl|1366398830|3430640 said:
mastercutgems|1366372169|3430344 said:
Hello All...

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds

Dana,
Thanks for clarifying this for all of us!

Second that! I apologize, Dana, if you took my comment as insinuating anything about your business - I know that you can't usually adjust prices for others' material and didn't intend to imply anything negative about you. As you say, it can be tough to shift between retail and wholesale, and the net is blurring those lines still further.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Another dilemma. Dana just informed me that the 3.86ct unheated oval that was unavailable is now available. So I get to choose between that and the 2.55ct heated round. What do you think?

groupshot.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indigoblue|1366648023|3432193 said:
Another dilemma. Dana just informed me that the 3.86ct unheated oval that was unavailable is now available. So I get to choose between that and the 2.55ct heated round. What do you think?

groupshot.jpg

If the oval really is eyeclean (not doubting Dana's description, I just mean eyeclean to *your* eyes, to your preference), I myself would totally want to see that in person first - love the color, the carat weight, and the fact it is unheated.

And, gotta take into account, the oval is apx $2,200 less than the round (per listed price anyway) yet is 1.2ct larger and unheated.

For me, the round is on the dark side for my preference, based on the pics - but if it is the color and shape you are looking for, then that's the one you should first see in person.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I've decided to stick with the round stone. Dana has sold me in the intense color. And I think a good bit of the extra carat weight of the oval is in the fat pavilion. I'll bet the face up surface area of each is pretty near equal. And the round will be easier for me to set with the two 4mm diamonds I plan to use.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would Dana take a picture of both stones together on the hand? As for size, can you please post the dimensions? In general, ovals will look larger than rounds so I'm curious but too lazy to find the info myself. :tongue: The colour of the round is more intense but is also darker. I would want to make sure it doesn't get overly dark indoors.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Oval
3.86 carat
Size: 9.44 x 7.90 x 6.30 mm deep
Clarity VVs2-Vs1 eye clean
Cut: Oval Modified Mix Cut
Color: intense Blue
Treatment: NONE per AGL report

The area of an ellipse with these dimensions is 58.6. Of course an oval might have a little more.

Round
2.55 carat
Size: 8.22 x 8.12 x 5.13 mm deep
Clarity VVs2 eye clean plus some zoning
Cut: Round Modified Mixed Cut
Color: so intense you will not believe it
Treatment: basic heat ONLY per AGL report

If the radius is about 4.1, the area is 52.8

Yes, the oval looks bigger but not necessarily a third bigger like the carat weight suggests. Maybe the eye makes it bigger.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No matter the gem material nor the perfection of cut, no 3 ct stone will look 1/3 larger than a 2 ct stone. It doesn't work that way even though we may wish so. :cheeky: The depth ratio is fine, not overly deep or fat.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I have the 2.55ct Mastercutgems sapphire, but I've decided not to keep it. It is a beautiful stone. It's exactly what it was advertised to be. It is probably the standard by which blue sapphires are measured. But I want one that is a shade lighter. And a little bigger. I have a sapphire ring which will be given to one of my daughters (it was a 25th anniversary gift from my ex). I've always thought it was a little too dark, and when compared side by side, these two stones are more similar than I thought they would be.

2_55sapp01hand.jpg

I took it to my local colored stone expert for another opinion. We placed it in an empty setting and compared it to my current sapphire. Mine is ever so slightly greener and isn't as well cut (bigger facets), but otherwise they are very similar. I want something that looks different from what my ex gave me. This is just my personal taste.

Dana said he got more sapphires this week. Surely one of them will be something that I will love.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful blue color!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
indigoblue|1367110782|3435917 said:
I have the 2.55ct Mastercutgems sapphire, but I've decided not to keep it. It is a beautiful stone. It's exactly what it was advertised to be. It is probably the standard by which blue sapphires are measured. But I want one that is a shade lighter. And a little bigger. I have a sapphire ring which will be given to one of my daughters (it was a 25th anniversary gift from my ex). I've always thought it was a little too dark, and when compared side by side, these two stones are more similar than I thought they would be.

2_55sapp01hand.jpg

I took it to my local colored stone expert for another opinion. We placed it in an empty setting and compared it to my current sapphire. Mine is ever so slightly greener and isn't as well cut (bigger facets), but otherwise they are very similar. I want something that looks different from what my ex gave me. This is just my personal taste.

Dana said he got more sapphires this week. Surely one of them will be something that I will love.

Thanks for keeping us up to speed. So comparing the sapphire in hand to Dana's pics, would you say that there is a green modifier to the stone? It appears that way in your photo, but its hard for us to gauge whether that is a trick of the camera or what you were truly seeing...?

Its great that you know exactly what you seek and it sounds like you have excellent reasons for sending it back. I agree that it sounds like only a matter of time before you find the right sapphire from Dana. :))

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I am not schooled in the description of colors and don't claim to have the knowledge or skills to do it. All I meant to say is that when I placed the two stones in settings side by side, mine looked a little bit greenish. The mastercut stone did not appear to have any green. I shouldn't have used the word "greener" since it implies that both stones have a green element.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is GORGEOUS and, to my eyes, very different than the one you posted from your ex. No offense to you or your ex, but this stone blows that one out of the water!

BUT, I think your reaction makes the important point that these stones and jewelery pieces are TINY and, on our computer screen, small differences get blown way out of proportion compared to how most people would perceive them in reality.

So, are you still looking for a sapphire? I know you said that you were now interested in a lighter, bigger one... but perhaps it might be a good idea to shift your search around completely. Maybe instead, look for for a ruby, neon pink-red spinel, yellow sapphire, an awesome asscher in some other material-- something that will NEVER be confused for your other piece. Just an idea! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry the round did not work out. So the search continues...

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a photo of your old one?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
velouriaL|1367195791|3436348 said:
That stone is GORGEOUS and, to my eyes, very different than the one you posted from your ex. No offense to you or your ex, but this stone blows that one out of the water!

BUT, I think your reaction makes the important point that these stones and jewelery pieces are TINY and, on our computer screen, small differences get blown way out of proportion compared to how most people would perceive them in reality.

So, are you still looking for a sapphire? I know you said that you were now interested in a lighter, bigger one... but perhaps it might be a good idea to shift your search around completely. Maybe instead, look for for a ruby, neon pink-red spinel, yellow sapphire, an awesome asscher in some other material-- something that will NEVER be confused for your other piece. Just an idea! :)

I never would have thought that this stone and my anniversary stone would look similar, but my jeweler and I agreed that when placed side by side in WG settings, they were close. Don't get me wrong. This stone is much prettier, but if my ex ever saw it, he wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

So, in an effort to get something really different, I will take a look at one of Dana's new stones. I'll post pictures later.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
The search continues. After returning the 2.55ct Mastercutgems sapphire #6918, I asked Dana to send me #6952 which is a 4.66 oval.
4_66mastercut.jpg
They are on this page: http://www.mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=301
I didn't like this one for several reasons. I didn't go WOW! when I opened the package. The cutlet was a little off center. It had more purple than I was expecting. And there was a divot taken out of the pavilion. Maybe that's common. I don't know, but it made me nervous. Here it is beside my old, blue sapphire mentioned earlier. And here are the same two illuminated by an LED flashlight.
4_66sapcrop2.jpg 4_66sapflashlightcrop.jpg

I was really disappointed that I didn't like either of the Mastercutgems stones. Dana is so nice. I will probably buy something from him in the future, but for these bucks, I want to be WOWed.

So next I went to Precisiongems and asked to see #1417 which is a 9.97 x 8.92 mm 4.88ct oval.
0_blue_sapphire___sri_lanka.jpg

I took it to my local colored stone gal, and she set it in a white gold setting.

setting1.jpg

It was so pretty. I was asking for a yellow gold setting, but the ladies in the jewelry store told me absolutely not! They were right. They say that with my gray hair, I shouldn't be wearing any yellow gold. Hahaha! Here are a couple of pictures taken outside.

oncactus1.jpg

Here's one more with a diamond ring. If I keep it, I am thinking about using the two 4mm diamonds in a setting with the sapphire. Suggestions are welcome.

withdiamonds1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for getting Gene's sapphire; I knew it is something special given that his pictures are one of the most accurate I've ever seen. You can't go wrong with any metal colour with such a stone. I suggest some diamond accents as they compliment just about all coloured stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think its lovely. and to be fair I think you could definitely wear yellow gold!

if it was mine, id set it with side stones. Not half moons, though i usually like them with ovals, sense thats kind of a roval.

If you could find a pair of matching roval sides that would be stunning, otherwise id do bullets. I always think a colored stone pops best with diamond accents

blue-nile-tsavorite-garnet-diamond-ring-red-carpet.jpg ring_1f_061208.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I may stick to those rounds since I already have them (and have blown my budget on the sapphire!). They should complement the almost-round center stone nicely. But the baguettes in the jewelry store setting sure do look nice. Decisions, decisions!

Here is a link to more pictures from the web site: http://www.precisiongem.com/Blog/files/tag-blue-sapphire.html

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Every time I go into a jewelry store I am told yellow gold is out of vogue or something. I don't know why some B&M jewelers hate yellow gold so much.

I like it, and don't think it wouldn't work with gray hair. Or even rose gold!

Euphony

Rough_Rock
Trade
A store with pre-made settings is going to push whatever inventory they have or is easiest to obtain. They will always try to sell you what they already have in stock because it is just good business.

I love yellow gold and don't know any goldsmith who makes from scratch who doesn't love it (and usually prefer it to white). It is much easier to work with. It casts better, it polishes better, it doesn't need plating and the solder colour matches really well. Never let anyone talk you out of yellow. Yellow is classic. Screw the trends.

*Goes off mumbling to herself like a crazy person about the issue.* :nono:

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
They really weren't pushing one of their in house settings. We just used something they had lying around to get an idea of what it would look like in a ring. They have been so nice to me when I bring in the stones I'm getting on the Internet. They seem to be giving me their honest opinions. I want to buy my setting from them to thank them for their time. If I can't find something in their catalog that I like, I will go the custom route, but I'd like to have it finished by July. I'm getting married on the 11th. My previous wedding set was yellow gold, so white gold might be a nice change. The lady at the jewelry store seems to think that yellow gold makes the sapphire look muddy. I also went to Tiffany's this afternoon in Denver and looked at their settings. That was fun.

I spent most of this afternoon scrolling through the Show Me the Bling thread looking at all of the settings. I probably won't get anything too fancy with halos and scroll work and such. And I'll probably get a narrow band with channel set diamonds to wear with it as a wring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results