shape
carat
color
clarity

Still looking for sapphire

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I posted back in January that I was looking for a sapphire. I ordered one from Gemfix, but it just didn't float my boat, so it was returned. From that experience I learned that purplish sapphires tend to look steely gray. Ha! I gleaned that from my vast experience with one stone.

I've continued to look at the sapphires on the preferred vendors list and have even expanded to the ones in Thailand and on eBay. It's still a little too scary to send thousands of dollars that far. I'm so afraid something will get lost in the mail. Plus this whole process is just so overwhelming. I look at something and like it and then chicken out. Ordering and returning a stone isn't cheap.

Would you give me your opinions on this 3.29 Burmese sapphire:

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

I know it's not a well saturated "sapphire blue," but will it sparkle? Will it look gray? I just want a pretty stone that will be noticed. Aquamarine is my birthstone, so I've always liked light blue stones. And I think I want something in the 8-10mm range. (This has to do with wanting something bigger than the diamond from my fist marriage.)

I also LOVE the 4.88 ct Precision Gem sapphire that iLander posted and am tempted to just get it, but $10K would go a long way toward my bathroom remodel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All gemstones that tend towards cool tones will appear steely when they do not have strong enough saturation, regardless of colour (purple, blue and what not).

The Finewater sapphire is light in tone and saturation, hence the descriptor of icy. It is also deep, hence faces up smaller than it should. The cut is a busier design so it should be lively enough. How gray is will depend on your eye and tolerance.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. I'll try to go through my list of contenders and pick another one or two for opinions. Like I said, it just overwhelms me sometimes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are you looking for again (stats and budget)?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1365620772|3424179 said:
What are you looking for again (stats and budget)?

I want a blue sapphire, heat treatment doesn't really matter, good cut but the actual style doesn't matter either, longest axis 7.5-9.5mm or so, and price range hopefully below $5K, but I'll go higher if you guys convince me that it's a really great stone. The problem is that I see spinels that I like. And my original search was for tanzanite. I just love them but would probably do better with something a little more sturdy because I plan to wear it a lot. I want a statement ring. Something that my daughters will want to inherit. One of them already has dibs on the 1.53ct diamond her father gave me. I want something equally as desirable for the other one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spinels can be everyday wear stones if you are careful enough with it. I did a quick look around for blue sapphires and they all are over $5K, even when heated. :(sad

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Then perhaps I should increase my price range. Show me an example of what you consider to be a desirable sapphire in the 3-4.5 ct range.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blues and purples can easily look grey and this (to my eye) devalues them. Ones that don't have grey typically cost more and will be warm and velvety looking rather than cold. So to help evaluate a stone, look at it and see whether it looks cold or warm to you - that should help in knowing what it will look like in person. I veer away from cold stones completely!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I'm a little leery of getting another stone from Gemfix because the one I got from them didn't look as pretty as the picture. It was #1009 down near the bottom of the page.

3sapp_2_35ct_7_8mm.jpg

But realistically I should spend the $$ on quality and not quantity. A 7mm stone that really has the bling would satisfy me, especially if I spend a little more on the setting. I have two 4mm and one 5mm diamonds that are available to use in a setting.

I just looked over my list of contenders, but the only one that would probably satisfy me looks like it has sold. Maybe the buyer will return it. Or I could try the one that iLander posted yesterday.

http://precisiongem.com/Gemstones/rapidcart/sapphire.html

Is it really that nice? Guess my bathroom redo could wait. ;-)

Gotta go to work. Be back later. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean #1006? It is clearly not well saturated, showing some gray even in his picture. Compare that to this below and the difference is obvious.

sapphire_blue_1101_a.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason Brims has this one for sale. In your size range, and a nice colour, from what I can see. He often has some wiggle room in his pricing, too.

2.55ct Vivid Blue Ceylon Sapphire, Heat, 8.22 x 8.12 x 5.13mm, AGL Cert, Loupe clean

$7000.00

17416_10151535867012230_1812541374_n.jpg

48134_10151535866672230_1837691469_n.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1365709718|3424901 said:
You mean #1006? It is clearly not well saturated, showing some gray even in his picture. Compare that to this below and the difference is obvious.

Oops! Got my number upsidedown. Yes, #1006 was a bit steely. The cut seemed great though.

NKOTB, is that stone a little dark? I have a 2ct sapphire I received as a gift from the ex. It is a little on the dark side. I'm just saving it to give to one of my kids.

smsapph01.jpg

I'm really looking to all of you to steer me in the right direction. When I just went to my pictures folder to post that picture of my sapphire, I saw a hand shot I made of that Gemfix sapphire, and it actually looks like it was a good size, especially for the diamond band I'd like to wear with it. A 9mm stone is perhaps a bit too ambitious.

It's late. I'll think about this after some sleep.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason Brim's sapphire doesn't look too dark although I would prefer to see the hand shot picture done without the flash on.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure he'd be willing to take more pics, to give you a better sense.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What about one of the Sri Lanka sapphires on Mastercut gems?

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
NKOTB|1365833006|3426057 said:
innerkitten|1365825814|3426008 said:

Yeah, I still love this one. http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6911

How come when I go to Mastercutgems and click on sapphires, this one is nowhere to be seen? I can't find it on his site unless I click on your link. Hmmmmm. I really like it too.

edited to add:
Guess I was doing it wrong. You have to Search for "sapphires" to see everything. I was missing a ton of stuff by just clicking on the Sapphire link on the left.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
indigoblue|1365865421|3426178 said:
NKOTB|1365833006|3426057 said:
innerkitten|1365825814|3426008 said:

Yeah, I still love this one. http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6911

How come when I go to Mastercutgems and click on sapphires, this one is nowhere to be seen? I can't find it on his site unless I click on your link. Hmmmmm. I really like it too.

edited to add:
Guess I was doing it wrong. You have to Search for "sapphires" to see everything. I was missing a ton of stuff by just clicking on the Sapphire link on the left.

When you're on the mastercutgems.com website, at the left, under "Inventory," there is a list of tabs - if you click the tab titled "ANAGEE Sri Lanka Gems" you'll find the sapphire link posted above. The gems under the ANAGEE Sri Lanka Gems tab were not cut by Dana Reynolds but by a friend of his in Sri Lanka. Also, fyi: Dana's home page says that if you are interested in one of the Anagee gems, to contact him because depending on the stone there may be a little wiggle room on pricing.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I sent him a message.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Good luck! There are a few nice one's in that section. He's a really guy too.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
innerkitten|1365886425|3426358 said:
Good luck! There are a few nice one's in that section. He's a really guy too.

Too late. I'll keep looking. And yes, he does seem like a really nice guy.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You'll find something soon. were there any others in the Sri Lanka section that peaked your interest?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would give it a chance and see it personally otherwise you'll always be wondering.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1366200474|3428809 said:
I would give it a chance and see it personally otherwise you'll always be wondering.

I agree.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
innerkitten|1366213935|3428940 said:
Chrono|1366200474|3428809 said:

I agree.
OK. I asked him to send it to me. Will post pictures when it arrives. This is exciting!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed for you!

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Isn't that the same sapphire as the one from Jason Brim?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason flips stones for several vendors so he also sells what others have in their inventory.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results