shape
carat
color
clarity

SteveNeedsARing no more! Just got engaged, thanks JW & JbEG!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, it's been a hectic week (with LOTS of celebrating), so I haven't had a chance to recap my proposal and take hand shots until now! If you're just joining in, here is my odyssey of picking out my ring, and here are JbEG's photos, showing how it turned out.

Here are my hand shots; I'm unfortunately not a very good photographer, or in possession of a very good camera :).

I have one or two more that I'd like to post, which I'll do in a follow-up post because I've reached my 4 attachment limit.

And here's how I proposed:

I tricked my girlfriend into thinking it was her idea to go for a short run near Great Falls (in MD, just outside DC). A couple of years ago, we picked out a scenic spot along the trail with a beautiful view of the Potomac river. I had the ring box hidden in my running belt, which was kind of obvious but I hid by running behind her the whole way. When we got to what I thought was "our spot", I told her I was tired, and could she wait up a minute. Then I asked her to stand on a tall rock "so I could take a picture." This really so I could get below her, down on one knee, and propose. :) She asked me to stand up and repeat myself, and then she accepted! We spent a few minutes enjoying the moment and taking pictures, meanwhile she can't stop giggling. I was prepared for crying, but not non-stop laughter! She later told me that she laughs when she's nervous. :)

So after it had sunk in a little bit that yes, we actually were engaged, we decided to walk back to my car instead of finishing our run. Then I told her that, since she was expecting my proposal (and even the exact spot on the trail), that I had another surprise waiting for her. So we grabbed the overnight bags I had hidden in the trunk, and head out on foot for the main road. It was a bit of a wait, because the limo driver went to the wrong parking lot for the park we were in, but eventually a black stretch limo pulled up and we got in! I had arranged with the limo driver in advance for him to pick up a nice bottle of champagne and a dozen red roses, both of which were great.

We rode around for about an hour, taking photos, calling friends and family, and sipping on delicious champagne. Then we arrived at her favorite hotel in the city (the Tabard Inn), which she had never stayed in, but is one of our favorite restaurants in the area. Our room was gorgeous, but instead of eating there we had the limo drop us off at Komi, which is a really nice restaurant in DC where they serve you a surprise menu that the chef chooses, comprised mostly of lots of little small bites. Then we went out for a beer afterwards, slept in, and had brunch at the hotel (which was also great). We spent the rest of the long weekend sharing the good news with our friends, and celebrating more. It was a fantastic, slightly exhausting, unforgettable weekend!! :) And now that the stress of hiding all these details from her is gone, I can finally relax and enjoy being engaged.

As for the wedding, we've only started batting around ideas, but we're thinking maybe a winter wedding this December or January. We'll see.

So, to all the PSers who gave me suggestions and feedback on my ring ideas: Thank you very much! I know it took a while, but I think it was worth it. And she loves it! So that's what matters. I think it's the perfect size for her hand.

Now that that's out of the way, I do have a couple of practical questions about dealing with an e-ring; like, where do I go to get it appraised, so that I can insure it? Was I supposed to do that after getting it back from JbEG, and before proposing? I don't think I could have waited any longer... ;-)

Another question is, when should she take it off, and how does she clean it? When she's washing her hands, doing dishes, showering, sleeping, going through security at the airport, etc.? I ask because neither of us have worn nice jewelry before, so we're a little uncertain how to take care of it. :)

IMAG0160 cropped.jpg

IMAG0147 cropped.jpg

roses cropped.jpg

photo.JPG

skingsland

Shiny_Rock
Re: SteveNeedsARing no more! Just got engaged, thanks JW & J

One more for now:

IMAG0168 cropped.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YAY! I've been waiting for this thread and it's BEAUTIFUL! You worked so hard and put so much effort into the ring that there's no doubt in my mind that your future wife is one lucky lady ::)

Congratulations and what a great proposal! You did a great job!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful ring!! Congratulations on your engagement!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations! That ring was surely worth the wait for her.

For an appraisal- Martin Fuller in Tyson's is very good. he charges about $300/hr (it should take an hour). Hunt Country in loudon also does appraisals (not independent but very competent) for much less.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock

Just perfect in every way. Congratulations to you both! What an utterly gorgeous ring :love: :appl:

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock

Congratulations! It looks perfect on your fiance! Have you shared all of the research, thoughts, and planning with her? I'm sure that will mean SO much to her as you really went above and beyond to create something spectacular just for her! I wish you both a lifetime of happiness!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations on your engagement!! :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Apprasiers sometimes give you inflated pricing so you might just want to insure it for what you actually paid- ie cost of setting, material and stone.

As for cleaning etc. I wear my ering all the time and pretty much never take it off unless I"m doing something like painting walls or gardening. But I wear my ring when sleeping, dishes, airport etc. I take my ring to get cleaned once or twice a year whenever I think about it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

Many, many congratulations to you both!

The ring is gorgeous - and here are Pandora's tips (rules :wink2: ) for keeping it that way!

Cleaning: dishsoap, warm water and a soft baby toothbrush. Soak it for 5-10 minutes and then scrub gently. Rinse and dry. You could use an ultrasonic as well as long as the sapphire has no potentially worrying inclusions.

Wearing: Do not wear the ring when: sleeping (damages prongs and settings), showering/bathing, doing any kind of housework, gardening, doing any kind of manual work or dangerous sports (ie rock-climbing). Security at airports is fine. I'm a bit careful about wearing mine if I'm going to be heaving big suitcases on and off airport carousels as it can warp the setting if you put a lot of pressure in the wrong place.

I have a little pot in my house and my rings go there when I walk through the door and they stay there until I'm going out again. I also have a ring box in my bag in case I need to take it off when I am out.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations and I wish you the best!

T

talamasca

:appl: :appl: yay congratulations and the ring is absolutely stunning and unique. Really pleased she liked it :D

Now....... what about the matching wedding bands!!!!! :lol:

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

Yesterday I was wondering how your proposal went. :bigsmile: Big big Congratulations! She has beautiful and slender fingers. The ring looks perfect on her hand.

About babying the ring -- in addition to what Pandora said, make sure your fiancee doesn't leave the ring near dangerous places like the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink. Try not to drop the ring on any hard surface either, including tiles and marbles. Don't wear it in the swimming pool. The chemicals in the pool water probably are not good for the setting. Try to take the ring off before lifting heavy things, e.g. a grocery bag with many bottles of beer, milk, juice, etc. :tongue:

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

It is breathtaking down to the last detail. The setting does justice to the stone and vice versa! I love how it came out. And what a great proposal story! Congratulations! :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pandora|1310138981|2964669 said:
Many, many congratulations to you both!

The ring is gorgeous - and here are Pandora's tips (rules :wink2: ) for keeping it that way!

Cleaning: dishsoap, warm water and a soft baby toothbrush. Soak it for 5-10 minutes and then scrub gently. Rinse and dry. You could use an ultrasonic as well as long as the sapphire has no potentially worrying inclusions.

Wearing: Do not wear the ring when: sleeping (damages prongs and settings), showering/bathing, doing any kind of housework, gardening, doing any kind of manual work or dangerous sports (ie rock-climbing). Security at airports is fine. I'm a bit careful about wearing mine if I'm going to be heaving big suitcases on and off airport carousels as it can warp the setting if you put a lot of pressure in the wrong place.

I have a little pot in my house and my rings go there when I walk through the door and they stay there until I'm going out again. I also have a ring box in my bag in case I need to take it off when I am out.

Pandora,
Do you think an Ultrasonic cleaner may loosen the prongs after a while?

Personally, I don't advise the use of them, and I find that a soft toothbrush, some dishsoap, and hot water rinse will do the job.

quintilis

Rough_Rock

I was wondering yesterday about how your plans went for you! I'm glad to hear she said yes, congrats!
Such a gorgeous ring, and even better when seen on the hand!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1310151165|2964870 said:
Personally, I don't advise the use of them, and I find that a soft toothbrush, some dishsoap, and hot water rinse will do the job.

I also find that dishsoap/handsoap + a soft tiny brush + warm water is very effective for making the ring look super shiny again.

Sometimes I go a little further by rinsing it with the filtered drinking water, in order to get rid of the chlorine or other chemicals/minerals in the tap water. :D Then I pat it dry very gently, with a thick and soft cotton towel, the kind that won't have lint coming off easily.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

CONGRATULATIONS, STEVE!

I have been under a major deadline, but I check in on your thread at least once per day as a mini-reward. I'm so happy to finally see an update!

And what an update it is!

The ring is GORGEOUS. My goodness, does that sapphire glow! The design, despite (because of?) all the agonizing, came out beautifully. As expected, it looks much more delicate than the CADs. You really get a sense of that in the video JbEG posted.

Also as expected, it sounds like your girlfriend was even more excited about getting engaged (awesome proposal, BTW) than the engagement ring. I'm sure she was thrilled, but I want to hear more about her (and your reaction). Did you let on how much work you put into it?

This has been a great journey, as you put it, to watch unfold. Down right epic, actually. ;-) Thanks! And again, congratulations. You did good.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HIP HIP HOOOORAY!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

congrats to you both! i love tht last hand shot! looks very elegant on her finger.

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations!! Beautiful ring, a job well done.

Now you get to experience the joys of wedding planning...yikes! :tongue:

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock

The blue of the sapphire you chose really pops and the setting is gorgeous! Congratulations to you both.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, Steve !!!!
This is just perfect !!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

I can't believe it, it's like our own little PS "story"
the story of Steve and his search for a Sapphire, then
search for the perfect setting,
THEN
we get to hear about the proposal ~ WOW !!!!
I am SO HAPPY for you both !!!!!

The ring is stunning and I Absolutely LOVE IT !!!!
It is GORGEOUS on your fiancee's hand !!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to you both on your engagement! I love that the setting for the actual proposal was the beautiful outdoors in one of your favorite spots and that you followed it up with the lux Limo and bubbly and flowers, and then the super weekend -- really one of my favorite engagement stories ever. (And the ring turned out just gorgeous and looks like it belongs on her finger - well done!)

kt

Shiny_Rock

Such a great story, and what a gorgeous ering!!! Congrats to you both!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to you both. The ring is gorgeous.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to both of you, what a great end to a wonderful story!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

HUZZAH! Congratulations!

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

velouriaL|1310153298|2964898 said:
Also as expected, it sounds like your girlfriend was even more excited about getting engaged (awesome proposal, BTW) than the engagement ring. I'm sure she was thrilled, but I want to hear more about her (and your reaction). Did you let on how much work you put into it?

Her reaction was constant giggling, and "yeah it's great". I don't think she had quite visualized what the finished product would look like, so I think she probably needed a while to digest what the ring looks like, how it feels (heavy, compared to her other ring), etc. before giving more of an opinion. I even asked her what she would say if she didn't like it; would she tell me that? She said no, not right away she wouldn't, but she'd eventually tell me. But I'm pretty sure she likes it; the only problem is that it might be a touch too big for her. The jeweler who measured her ring size said she was between a 4.25 and 4.5, so I had the ring done as a size 4.5. And it generally stays on, and she even has a hard time taking it off when her hand is swollen. But the ring occasionally turns on her, so the center stone is facing away from her, so maybe we do need to get it sized down a little bit. But bottom line, I think she really likes it: she told me the week after we got engaged that she almost got into an accident while driving to work, because she was admiring her ring. :)

My reaction was "why won't this girl stop laughing? shouldn't she be crying instead?" :) Or did you mean my reaction to the ring itself when I got it in my hands? I think the ring pretty much came out exactly like the CADs. It's amazing how similar they are, to me. I still wonder if I could have made the side profile petals more interesting, and I think the center stones sits a little too high for my taste (never noticed that before with the CADs), but these are the sorts of minor gripes or nit-picks that are the result of staring at a design for the better part of 6 months. As long as she likes it, that's what's important. :)

She knows how long I worked on it, and I've told her some of my challenges that I went through, like dropping Richard's concave cut sapphire, or finding out late in the game that she wanted gold instead of platinum. She hasn't, and won't ever read through these threads, but she knows that I can be a perfectionist with some things, so she wouldn't be surprised by any of this. I do think it's tough for her to appreciate all the work I've put into it, when she didn't even care if I proposed with a ring or not, and would much rather have been engaged a year (or more) ago than waiting until now. But since she had to wait, I think this ring is a good result to show my progress to her.

skingsland

Shiny_Rock

Sarahbear621|1310137183|2964652 said:
Apprasiers sometimes give you inflated pricing so you might just want to insure it for what you actually paid- ie cost of setting, material and stone.

I asked my car and home insurance company about a policy, and here's what they said:

We charge .76 cents per $100 of coverage. I will need a copy of the appraisal in order to provide coverage for the ring.

So, it sounds like I must get an appraisal. Does that price sound reasonable for insuring jewelry? If not, can anyone share the name of the insurance company you use?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results