shape
carat
color
clarity

Steps to verify Tiffany Engagement Ring

wangt

Rough_Rock
Purchased a used Tiffany Diamond Solitaire ring from ebay from a seller with 700+ feedback selling antiques and jewelry and has two local stores in PA.

I was provided with the
1.Tiffany Certificate with a black folder.
2.Original valuation of when the ring was purchased back in 2006
3.Ring and the box.

So far the certificate matches the ring serial number and I had a gemologist confirm that the serial number on the diamond matches the certificate. Before sending it off to Tiffany for valuation which may take 4-6 weeks (they have a backlog). What can I do before sending it off to make sure I am in the clear.

Thanks for anyone's advice in advance.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think you have pretty much done all you can do to verify it once you send it off :twirl:

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
That's it, I did this a few weeks ago with a used Tiffany engagement ring I was trying to resell. It was a .51 carat round diamond in the classic Tiffany setting. I purchased it for $850 and needed to confirm it was authentic so I could resell it. I went to Tiffany's in NYC and paid $200 to have an evaluation done. Usually the diamond will be laser inscribed with the number as this diamond was. It should really only take about 1-2 weeks not 4-6. In my case it did take 4 weeks because I dropped the ring off on November 11, during prime time holiday season.

I had no paperwork or anything.

As an aside, when you send if off to Tiffany's for an evaluation they will not explicitly tell you it is an authentic Tiffany's ring since you are not the original purchaser(the woman mentioned that it is implied to be if it takes the full amount of time to evaluate it, otherwise they would just send it back immediately) You should be aware of this before you spend more time and money on the ring.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exactly what Heather said: I dropped off a vintage piece with them back in October, and they were VERY careful to tell me that what they provided was valuation, not verification ... but that if they couldn't provide the valuation (i.e., if it wasn't one of theirs, or, as in the case of my piece, wasn't something they were currently selling and that therefore couldn't be accurately valued by them) they'd simply return it without charge. Good luck!

wangt

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies. I went to Tiffanys in Short Hills and got an unpleasant experience with the sales person because I did not purchase the ring from the store. Then tried to charge me $300 for the valuation while screaming at me in customer service. The customer service rep was nice but was following her orders. I'll probably be heading to the one in Philadelphia or King of Prussia.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well it does cost a few hundred for the report and will take a few weeks. I have a second hand Tiffany and they were a little off-put but I was just vague about husband getting it from his family.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think absolutely be a bit vague in the details - received as a gift or something like that.

wangt

Rough_Rock
That would have been a good idea with 2 issues. I am a guy and receiving this as a gift doesn't really match up :confused: . The original owner is caucasian and I am asian but maybe I could have passed him off as my uncle. :mrgreen:

heather2012

Shiny_Rock
I am shocked they were really that rude to you when the Tiffany's on 5th Ave were SO helpful (once I made it upstairs to customer service atleast!) they even repolished the ring for me to get rid of all the knicks and scratches on the platinum. It should not cost a few hundred, $200 thats it.

HERE's an idea--spare them the details just say, "I am here to get this ring evaluated and to look at wedding bands that would match this classic look"...if you want to you could say the wedding band thing so that they see you as a potential customer. The Tiffan'y in NYC gave me the authentic Tiffany's box and blue packaging to wrap it in as well! Maybe as a last resort just go there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results