shape
carat
color
clarity

Step cut pear?

lwiern1

Rough_Rock
A jeweler who is looking for a pear-shaped diamond for me, brought a stone that he said was a step cut pair A jeweler who is looking for a pear-shaped diamond for me, brought a stone that he said was a step cut pear. It looks more like a mixed cut between a brilliant and a step. Has anyone ever heard of this type of cut for a pear? It has absolutely no bowtie, which is what he said was a benfit of this type of cut. Although he did not have a certificate on it, the stone is very shallow cut, and looks like a 3 carat although it's only a 1.9. It is clearly a spread cut, but still has some brilliance. I guess the overall question is, has anyone heard of a step cut pear diamond, And would anyone consider buying such a stone? I was looking for a brilliant cut, with very good or excellent polish or symmetry, which I don't believe the stone has, but it is very unique with the different cut and having no bowtie. The fact that it looks so much larger than it carat weight is an added bonus. It is definitely a D color, and although he says it's a VS1, it's more likely A vs2 or si1. Thanks for your help?

lwiern1

Rough_Rock
Nope! Tons more facets!! I got a pic but it's not clear

_3114.jpeg

_1114.png

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps one of the Royal Cuts, there is a pear, a duchess cut and one which looks like the profile view of a round brilliant.
They are angular cut. Pictures can be found on the internet. They are supposed to be cut shallow for a bigger face up size.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it is not one of the Royal Cuts.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen marquise diamonds referred to as navette cut sometimes and the points of them look to be cut like
this diamond. Maybe one of the jewellers would know. Not sure the difference between navette and marquise but
they seem to be two different descriptions.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never seen one like it but I'm not digging it!

lwiern1

Rough_Rock
Haha why is that?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen pictures of a step cut pear (it didnt look like that stone though). I did not find the one I saw very attractive and would
not buy one. Your's looks different to me. My concern is that you gain the look of size but lose all/most/some of the benefits
of a diamond (fire, brilliance, etc). I think you are the only one who can make this call since you are seeing it in person. Try to
view it in as many different lighting situations as possible. Nobody wants a dead diamond...make sure it isnt one.

The faceting pattern on the stone you found is attractive to me (as far as pictures go) but I would want to make sure it
performs the way a well cut pear should.

Edit ...I take it the stone is not GIA/AGS? Are you looking to buy it? How do you know what a fair price is with such a different
cut (shallow I presume) and no cert?

lwiern1

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1460903600|4020406 said:
I have seen pictures of a step cut pear (it didnt look like that stone though). I did not find the one I saw very attractive and would
not buy one. Your's looks different to me. My concern is that you gain the look of size but lose all/most/some of the benefits
of a diamond (fire, brilliance, etc). I think you are the only one who can make this call since you are seeing it in person. Try to
view it in as many different lighting situations as possible. Nobody wants a dead diamond...make sure it isnt one.

The faceting pattern on the stone you found is attractive to me (as far as pictures go) but I would want to make sure it
performs the way a well cut pear should.

Edit ...I take it the stone is not GIA/AGS? Are you looking to buy it? How do you know what a fair price is with such a different
cut (shallow I presume) and no cert?

Thank you for your response! Your thoughts echo mine! There is a bit of light loss but it has some brilliance! It's hard to compare it to other ovals though because of the doffernt cuts; it's like comparing apples and oranges! I can tell the symmetry isn't great becaus there is one dead facet on the table, but I love the no bow tie and the consistent facet pattern bottom to point! If I decide I am very interested I would get a rush Gia cert. I don't believe his clarity report is accurate and want to see the Other stats!

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like it, but I tend to like things that are unique. If it has a good sparkle and is a good price I'd buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results