shape
carat
color
clarity

Step cut help!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been checking every day, hard to find something that seems good in my budget! I think I may need to buy the stones separately — I can’t get an ASET for the below, but the rep said it is eye clean. Does this look promising? @Karl_K @Matthews1127

Ok!
I got the page to open!
The inclusion, although, clear, would drive me insane against the table!!
Let me take a look at the other options posted!!!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Few on JA that jumped out :)

Not sure if cloudy?

Not sure if lacking contrast when head-on?

This is quite different - low crown, big table, but performs well! Would be interested to see if @Karl_K thinks this works.

Oo thanks! I’m going to check these out as well — I do recognize several which makes me feel like I’m on the right track haha, my main problem is that I’m trying to get around a 6.4 mm spread for under 8k per stone and as close to colorless as possible...I almost bought that first one you posted, but that one faces up much bigger than other 1.5 ct stones, so I think I would have a tough time finding a match

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there's not a massive hurry, don't stress about finding a partner if something jumps out at any point - just get it bought because new stuff is always coming through :)) (but you know that already!)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my top choice posted by @OoohShiny

I like this one, but the table is larger than the one above, and performs differently.
Not certain how well these would match, outside of size, clarity and color. The crown seems higher in the first stone, as well.
If you can find a stone that comes close to either of these two, that will help you narrow your search.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Two step cuts I would want to play with:

www (asquare) & www (!) - the second is quite something, methinks.

Blue Nile has several in this vein, all between 12K and 16K - eg. www , then higher priced - www, www, www; the 2.01 might be the nicest at first glance [nb. the only criteria I have set for these searches was table < 57% - these are nearly all of the results, I have only left out a few entirely besides the point; IMHO, fun]

2c

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Ok! So after looking at all the suggestions I asked Jonna at IDJ to call in the SI1 stone, as I haven’t found anything else in my price range with the same spread. She sent me the attached video and images — I think they look pretty good! But wanted to see if anyone else has other thoughts and if I might be missing something.
48939837-3D89-44C5-B957-840A72B0834C.png 290E2819-4212-4CB8-A771-10B0B4E0BA99.png B598ECC9-E185-4810-9ADA-C84F18E170DA.png BAB753D8-7741-4E50-AC82-83E5B043FD4E.png

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok! So after looking at all the suggestions I asked Jonna at IDJ to call in the SI1 stone, as I haven’t found anything else in my price range with the same spread. She sent me the attached video and images — I think they look pretty good! But wanted to see if anyone else has other thoughts and if I might be missing something.
48939837-3D89-44C5-B957-840A72B0834C.png 290E2819-4212-4CB8-A771-10B0B4E0BA99.png B598ECC9-E185-4810-9ADA-C84F18E170DA.png BAB753D8-7741-4E50-AC82-83E5B043FD4E.png

This is MUCH better!!!
Would like to see the stone captured in motion with a red or blue background, rather than white....
That will help you decide if it performs without dim spots, IRL.
So far, I like it.
@Karl_K

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
This is MUCH better!!!
Would like to see the stone captured in motion with a red or blue background, rather than white....
That will help you decide if it performs without dim spots, IRL.
So far, I like it.
@Karl_K

That is a good idea - thank you for weighing in and I’m glad you think it looks promising!! I love step cuts the most but they are so tricky to shop for.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Based on the info provided this is one that can go either way and is worth an in person look.

Ok thank you! I’ve asked about having it sent to me so I can see how it performs in real life. It’s a good price so I really hope it works!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more question for the moment! @Matthews1127 @Karl_K and any others — do you think the VVS1 stone below:

would be a better performer than the SI stone whose images I posted above?

The VVS stone seems brighter in the blue Nile videos and it has a smaller table. It’s more than I want to pay, but I don’t want to get an inferior stone.

This is 1.50 SI:

DF66B89E-4842-4E8D-8336-D0118C7A6B73.jpeg

I circled the inclusion that clearly cuts into view across the table.
Granted, this image is magnified, but inclusions such as this can be glaringly obvious, IRL.
You would need to see this in person to determine if you can catch this in every day wear.
BN does not provide ASET/IS images, which makes it difficult, to me, to evaluate their stones.
With white backdrop, both of the options you posted look nice, and bright. But, without more visual aid assistance, there is no way to compare them to the other stone you posted, which has a lot more information attached to it, and certainly provides a better idea of performance.
I agree with @Karl_K that the other stone should be examined by your naked eye for the final evaluation.
It would be nice for you to have at least one other option for comparison.
As I agree with you that step cuts are tricky, this is the fun part, for me. Each has its own characteristics, and personality. That’s what sets them apart from other diamonds, and, like your partner, they’re not perfect, but the right one will be perfect for you.
You will find your diamond. It takes time, and patience.
So far, you have 1 good stone to consider. That’s a good start. ;)2

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
This is 1.50 SI:

DF66B89E-4842-4E8D-8336-D0118C7A6B73.jpeg

I circled the inclusion that clearly cuts into view across the table.
Granted, this image is magnified, but inclusions such as this can be glaringly obvious, IRL.
You would need to see this in person to determine if you can catch this in every day wear.
BN does not provide ASET/IS images, which makes it difficult, to me, to evaluate their stones.
With white backdrop, both of the options you posted look nice, and bright. But, without more visual aid assistance, there is no way to compare them to the other stone you posted, which has a lot more information attached to it, and certainly provides a better idea of performance.
I agree with @Karl_K that the other stone should be examined by your naked eye for the final evaluation.
It would be nice for you to have at least one other option for comparison.
As I agree with you that step cuts are tricky, this is the fun part, for me. Each has its own characteristics, and personality. That’s what sets them apart from other diamonds, and, like your partner, they’re not perfect, but the right one will be perfect for you.
You will find your diamond. It takes time, and patience.
So far, you have 1 good stone to consider. That’s a good start. ;)2

Thank you! And sorry I should have clarified— the SI stone I linked above is the same stone I posted the ASET, etc images for (IDJ was able to call it in and then took the images). I’ve asked if I can have it sent to me for the final decision — I too would like to compare it with another square EC, but I figure I can see how it compares to my engagement ring EC? Even though that is a rectangular EC. I’m looking for square ECs for studs, so this is doubly hard haha.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The VVS looks seriously brighter.

I am not seeing much better at Blue Nile; one slightly off-square stone is somewhat larger & also bright www. G/VVS/Strong Blue is better than H/SI1/No Fluorescence, to me, at least.

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
The VVS looks seriously brighter.

I am not seeing much better at Blue Nile; one slightly off-square stone is somewhat larger & also bright www. G/VVS/Strong Blue is better than H/SI1/No Fluorescence, to me, at least.

Uggg yeah I feel the same about the VVS stone, unfortunately!!! (Unfortunate given the price difference) I gotta think about it. And yeah I prefer the G to the H too!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It might just be worth waiting if all of these look like compromises.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
G / VS1 (Sb) - WWW

I prefer this to the VVS - for the higher crown, even steps, clear pattern of reflections; I expect that the symmetry grade is based on some meet point on the pavilion, else even secondary reflections are symmetrical face-up.

(what else might be out there)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results